2nd hand car and 1st class insurance

Hi,

I was told something that sounds a bit odd to me...

If you'd want to buy a (young) 2nd hand car, it is very important that it is completely damage free in order to get new 1st class insurance ??? The person claims that otherwise the insurer could refuse any coverage on new damage on the same side of the car.

The issue here is a very small dent, maybe 1.5 cm in diameter. 

Hoping for some clarity on this issue.

Thanks in advance!

sounds about right.  When you go to insure the car, the insurance company will require an inspection for any damage or at least a real time video of the car exterior and a set of pics of the car before they will agree cover.  Same if you change insurers at any time. It's a pain, but it's the way they do it here. 

Just now, Pilotman said:

sounds about right.  When you go to insure the car, the insurance company will require an inspection for any damage or at least a real time video of the car exterior and a set of pics of the car before they will agree cover.  Same if you change insurers at any time. It's a pain, but it's the way they do it here. 

Thanks for you answer. And yes, that sounds quite logical. 

But wouldn't the existing damage then be registered as is, and wouldn't any additional damage then surely be covered?

3 minutes ago, Krabi King said:

But wouldn't the existing damage then be registered as is, and wouldn't any additional damage then surely be covered?

If there is damage, however small, they make you get it fixed at their preferred garage before they insure the car.  Go figure.  

1 hour ago, Krabi King said:

Their opinion could well be that you damaged that particular area to reduce the cost of repairing the earlier damage.

17 minutes ago, alacrity said:

Their opinion could well be that you damaged that particular area to reduce the cost of repairing the earlier damage.

Somehow makes sense ????

Well thanks for the answers, gentlemen. Living here never gets dull ☺

Edited by Krabi King

My experience with AXA when starting insurance on 1 year old car was a visual inspection by their agent at their office on my initial insurance sign up. Subsequent renewals required photographs, including the VIN behind the windshield and stamped on chassis. When dash cams earned a discount, they needed a copy of the sales receipt and pictures of the rego plate as well as the camera installed and turned on.

Roojai didn't want pictures of anything but did request full details of the previous insurance for the NCB and other verifications.

I have 1st class insurance via Roojai (~5000 baht/year).

I applied via internet. At the end I downloaded app on my phone. We made a video call via that app. And inspected the car via this call.

Inspection was quiet easy. I walked around the car and showed him that it has 4 wheels attached to it and nothing major is missing. Then I started car, showed odometer. Opened hood. He also checked that I had camera installed in car (you get 5% off, i checked that field during registration). And that was it. I doubt that some 1,5 cm dent would be even visible in such a video call.