Jump to content
BANGKOK
snoop1130

COVID-19 strain in Beijing outbreak may have come from Southeast Asia: Harvard study

Recommended Posts

COVID-19 strain in Beijing outbreak may have come from Southeast Asia: Harvard study

 

2020-07-02T070538Z_2_LYNXMPEG610DM_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-CHINA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: People wearing face masks are seen at the Sanlitun shopping area, following the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in Beijing, China July 1, 2020. REUTERS/Tingshu Wang/File Photo

 

SHANGHAI (Reuters) - A strain of COVID-19 that has infected more than 300 people in Beijing since early June could have originated in South or Southeast Asia, according to a study by Harvard University researchers.

 

The outbreak in Beijing has raised concerns about China's vulnerability to a "second wave" of infections. The virus found in Beijing cases is an imported strain of COVID-19, according to the China Centre for Disease Control and Prevention.

 

The Harvard study, published on the preprint website medRxiv.org on Tuesday and which has still to be peer-reviewed, took three of the SARS-CoV-2 genome sequences collected in Beijing last month and compared them to 7,643 samples worldwide.

 

The three genomes showed the greatest resemblance to cases in Europe from February to May, and to cases in South and Southeast Asia from May to June.

 

They were also similar to a small number of infections seen in China in March, suggesting the strain could have appeared first in China and then returned to the country three months later, the authors said.

 

"As the most recent cases in these branches are almost exclusively from South(east) Asia, this could suggest that the new cases in Beijing were re-introduced by transmissions from South(east) Asia," they wrote.

 

The outbreak traced to Beijing's huge Xinfadi wholesale market on June 11 had infected 329 people by the end of Wednesday.

 

Quarantine restrictions and large-scale testing of residents began soon after the first cases were identified, and China also required all shipments of imported meat to be tested for COVID-19 before they could leave its ports.

 

The SARS-CoV-2 virus was believed to have originated in a market in the central Chinese city of Wuhan in December last year and has now infected more than 10 million people and killed more than 500,000 worldwide.

 

However, some studies suggest it could have been circulating much earlier after crossing the species barrier from horseshoe bats native not only to southwest China, but also Laos and Myanmar.

 

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-07-02
 
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

However, some studies suggest it could have been circulating much earlier after crossing the species barrier from horseshoe bats native not only to southwest China, but also Laos and Myanmar.

...and Thailand, they have them in Thailand as well.

 

Lets not forget the study mentioned in the news a few weeks ago about the horseshoe bats in Chanthaburi at  Pong Nam Ron.

Edited by ukrules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, ukrules said:

...and Thailand, they have them in Thailand as well.

 

Lets not forget the study mentioned in the news a few weeks ago about the horseshoe bats in Chanthaburi at  Pong Nam Ron.

 

Not to worry.

 

Nothing to fear from the "trusted" Horseshoe Bats of Chachoengsao (also in "SE Asia") because "They say there is nothing to fear but much to learn from the little animals", June 20th:

 

Coronavirus: Looking for viruses in Thai bats - BBC News

 

What a relief.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Enoon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A strain of COVID-19 that has infected more than 300 people in Beijing since early June

No, just not true, it infected far more than 300 people, the problem being China is very economical with its official reporting, they do not count asymptomatic cases even when they test positive, unless they then go on to develop symptoms. This is the only country that I know of that does this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A post using a trolling meme has been removed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Estrada said:

It is the same in the United States and UK. The difference is that the Chinese fight the virus by finding Asymptomatic cases through “contact tracing”. China identifies people exposed to someone with a confirmed diagnosis and if they test positive, they are quarantined whether or not they manifest symptoms. In the United States they calculate that the actual number of people who have been infected including Asympotomatic cases is up to 20 Million people more than currently reported. Deaths are at least around 30,000 more than reported. One problem is that individual States and jurisdictions in the U.S. can appoint Coroner's and people signing death certficates who have no medical expertise, such as plumbers, car mechanics and estate agents. They also appointed a President who thinks he knows more about Medical Science than anyone in the Galaxy.

 

The point I was making is that in China, if you test positive and are an asymptomatic case you are not included in official figures. In the US and UK they are along with every other country that I know of.

 

Regards deaths, not sure about the US but in the UK only deaths that have been tested as positive to covid are included in the official figures. For those that were not tested and suspected of being a covid death on the certificate, they are not included in the official figure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know what anyone else read from that but for me it was a confusing conflicting contradicting pile of ----

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Harvard study, published on the preprint website medRxiv.org on Tuesday and which has still to be peer-reviewed,

Personally, I think this is all Chinese propaganda. Even if the study was actually done at Harvard, there are so many College Professors on China's payroll. Plus they've got many 'influencers' in the media. There is no reason to believe any of this imported CV19 strains into China. If it's actually a mutation or different strain, it probably mutated in China.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Estrada said:

It is the same in the United States and UK. The difference is that the Chinese fight the virus by finding Asymptomatic cases through “contact tracing”. China identifies people exposed to someone with a confirmed diagnosis and if they test positive, they are quarantined whether or not they manifest symptoms. In the United States they calculate that the actual number of people who have been infected including Asympotomatic cases is up to 20 Million people more than currently reported. Deaths are at least around 30,000 more than reported. One problem is that individual States and jurisdictions in the U.S. can appoint Coroner's and people signing death certficates who have no medical expertise, such as plumbers, car mechanics and estate agents. They also appointed a President who thinks he knows more about Medical Science than anyone in the Galaxy.

 

You are so full of bat guano, I'm surprised you haven't burst. Your comment about the Chinese fighting the virus by finding the asymptomatic cases 'might' be true, but nothing else in your comment is. the bit about "jurisdictions in the U.S. can appoint Coroner's and people signing death certficates who have no medical expertise," is an absolute lie. And really I have no need to point anything else out.  

 

I believe you are a Chinese infiltrator.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

You are so full of bat guano, I'm surprised you haven't burst. Your comment about the Chinese fighting the virus by finding the asymptomatic cases 'might' be true, but nothing else in your comment is. the bit about "jurisdictions in the U.S. can appoint Coroner's and people signing death certficates who have no medical expertise," is an absolute lie. And really I have no need to point anything else out.  

 

I believe you are a Chinese infiltrator.

Medical examiners must be physicians. Coroners need no medical training:  @4:53

 

 

Edited by timendres

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Estrada said:

It is the same in the United States and UK. The difference is that the Chinese fight the virus by finding Asymptomatic cases through “contact tracing”. China identifies people exposed to someone with a confirmed diagnosis and if they test positive, they are quarantined whether or not they manifest symptoms. In the United States they calculate that the actual number of people who have been infected including Asympotomatic cases is up to 20 Million people more than currently reported. Deaths are at least around 30,000 more than reported. One problem is that individual States and jurisdictions in the U.S. can appoint Coroner's and people signing death certficates who have no medical expertise, such as plumbers, car mechanics and estate agents. They also appointed a President who thinks he knows more about Medical Science than anyone in the Galaxy.

 

Are you Of Chinese descent. You have a very biast view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...