What’s the Problem with Netflix and Thailand?

Stubby

Hi folks,

I can see there's a similar thread running, but didn't want to hijack it as mine more about paying for Netflix than streaming services more generally.

I’ve never used Netflix but have read that it’s quite a decent deal with lots of great viewing. So, I decided to give it a go. 

Well, it has been quite an ordeal trying to pay. I never got any errors, only a looping back to the payment screen after I entered my details. I decided to contact customer support. Here’s what they said:

DEBIT CARD

We accept Debit Cards, but not from Thailand, said the agent.

PAYPAL

We accept PayPal, but no longer from new subscribers in Thailand.

GIFT CARDS

We accept Netflix Gift cards, but you don’t get the one month free trial with that payment method. Also, Thailand is not allowed to buy them online, only in-store, said the agent.

CREDIT CARDS

Netflix happily accepts Credit Cards in Thailand, and they don’t have to be Thai issued.

Well, I’m almost ready to say stuff your service unless anyone here can convince me it’s the best viewing available in Thailand. I did take a look at Amazon Prime Video, but all the good stuff had: ‘Not Available in Your Location’ next to it. Despite that, Amazon would still let me subscribe to its service.

Does anyone know why there’s such a problem between Thailand and these services?

I’d also be interested to know how other members have paid for their Netflix subscription. 

Thanks, in advance,

Stubby

Edited by Stubby

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Don't know ..... but HBO Go and Monomax are an add on for your 3bb subscription for 40bht/month.

Works quite well.

What, my 600 and something Baht internet?  I'll check it out, BMT ???? 

I use Paypal and it works fine. But that's no use to you if they don't allow it for new Thai subscriptions.

There is a lot of good stuff there. It definitely is worth persevering in my opinion.

As for Amazon Prime, I took a one month trial recently and it is a total waste of time. As you said, nothing of any note is available in Thailand, despite annoyingly appearing on the screen.

Good luck.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Use a VPN and get an account outside Thailand. 

It's one idea Pilotman, but I've lost count how many VPNs fail nowadays. It's almost impossible to get anything that works with BBC iPlayer, for example. And if one does, there's no saying it'll still be working next week. I think a lot of these services are getting savvy to VPNs ????

Just now, madmitch said:

I use Paypal and it works fine. But that's no use to you if they don't allow it for new Thai subscriptions.

There is a lot of good stuff there. It definitely is worth persevering in my opinion.

As for Amazon Prime, I took a one month trial recently and it is a total waste of time. As you said, nothing of any note is available in Thailand, despite annoyingly appearing on the screen.

Good luck.

Thanks MadMitch. Why PP is such a problem from Thailand I have no idea. But they don't allow it, along with Thai debit cards. There must be reasons, but the agent didn't know. I might opt for a Gift Card, but Netflix has peed me off a bit now with its, we don't accept this, and we don't accept that, attitude. 

Just now, Stubby said:

t, along with Thai debit cards.

Does the debit card have a name on it?

My Visa debit was next to useless for anything online, got a new card issued with my name on it then it was all good.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stubby said:

It's one idea Pilotman, but I've lost count how many VPNs fail nowadays. It's almost impossible to get anything that works with BBC iPlayer, for example. And if one does, there's no saying it'll still be working next week. I think a lot of these services are getting savvy to VPNs ????

Express VPN works fine for me, for Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO. The library for the UK and US on Netflix is much more extensive than the Thai one. 

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

Express VPN works fine for me, for Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO. The library for the UK and US on Netflix is much more extensive than the Thai one. 

Nord VPN has worked fine for me both here and when I was in the Phillipines.

• Like 1

I use my SCB debit card for paying Netflix in Thailand and have done so for about 6 month now no problem. One time there was not enough money on my account and Netflix stopped, but I got an Email from them that there were problems with paying and after putting money into the account it opened again. Many good movies in Netflix.

22 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Does the debit card have a name on it?

My Visa debit was next to useless for anything online, got a new card issued with my name on it then it was all good.

No it doesn't, I just checked. My UK one does, but I want to pay for Thai services in Thailand, Don. My Thai Debit Card is Be1st. Anyway, Netflix doesn't like it.

23 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Nord VPN has worked fine for me both here and when I was in the Phillipines.

Have you guys had any luck with BBC iPlayer with those VPNs?

1 minute ago, Stubby said:

No it doesn't, I just checked. My UK one does, but I want to pay for Thai services in Thailand, Don. My Thai Debit Card is Be1st. Anyway, Netflix doesn't like it.

Yeah mine is a Be1st visa debit.

I don't see the point in having access to the World Wide Web if if these services replace World with Regional. I wonder why certain viewing is banned from some countries and not others. The fees are probably the same wherever you're from. I'm sure there must be legal reasons for this and banned payment methods, but it's all a bit secret. There certainly won't be any technical explanations.

13 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Is it a UnionPay, Visa or Mastercard Be1st card?

59 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Everything on Amazon prime can be watched in Thailand ..............if you use the right VPN

23 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I wonder why certain viewing is banned from some countries and not others.

Quite simple, because copyrights for channels, which involves multi million dollar amounts, are issued by country or region.

So Amazon has only the rights for a certain region, and is not allowed to make those channels available outside that region, because there someone else has paid big bucks for those copyrights

31 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Have you guys had any luck with BBC iPlayer with those VPNs?

Yes

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I don't see the point in having access to the World Wide Web if if these services replace World with Regional. I wonder why certain viewing is banned from some countries and not others. The fees are probably the same wherever you're from. I'm sure there must be legal reasons for this and banned payment methods, but it's all a bit secret. There certainly won't be any technical explanations.

Think  back to  regional coding on cd/ dvd.

The layers of  graft only  shift, never  die!

You want  mind  numbing by what you  see

We will serve in slices like stale pie

With percentages subject  to harsh arbitration

We choose to filter sh.t  to that nation

So while  you choose to chase the  tinsel offers 

We choose what fills our  coffers!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Susco said:

Everything on Amazon prime can be watched in Thailand ..............if you use the right VPN

I know, and I use Nord on my Android box to watch Prime and US/UK Netflix. But you don't get the picture quality of using local Netflix and can get buffering as you lose bandwidth so I don't use it that often.

17 minutes ago, madmitch said:

But you don't get the picture quality of using local Netflix and can get buffering as you lose bandwidth so I don't use it that often.

You do get the same picture quality if your speed is sufficient.

Netflix measures your internet speed, and makes only available what is usable on your speed.

If you get buffering, that is another indication that your VPN or your internet speed to US is not sufficient.

If you have the average budget Android box, you are also not able to install the latest Netflix app from Playstore, because Netflix now whitelist boxes that can install the app, and the budget boxes have a modified app that can not run HD.

Edited by Susco

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

View HBO Go through ...... very good quality picture, no buffering, I use it all the time now.

https://hbogo.co.th/#

Thanks, BMT, I think that's what I'm going to do. I don't watch a lot, so it's most likely the ideal solution ????