BANGKOK
Stubby

What’s the Problem with Netflix and Thailand?

Posted (edited)

Hi folks,

I can see there's a similar thread running, but didn't want to hijack it as mine more about paying for Netflix than streaming services more generally.

I’ve never used Netflix but have read that it’s quite a decent deal with lots of great viewing. So, I decided to give it a go. 

Well, it has been quite an ordeal trying to pay. I never got any errors, only a looping back to the payment screen after I entered my details. I decided to contact customer support. Here’s what they said:

DEBIT CARD

We accept Debit Cards, but not from Thailand, said the agent.

PAYPAL

We accept PayPal, but no longer from new subscribers in Thailand.

GIFT CARDS

We accept Netflix Gift cards, but you don’t get the one month free trial with that payment method. Also, Thailand is not allowed to buy them online, only in-store, said the agent.

CREDIT CARDS

Netflix happily accepts Credit Cards in Thailand, and they don’t have to be Thai issued.

Well, I’m almost ready to say stuff your service unless anyone here can convince me it’s the best viewing available in Thailand. I did take a look at Amazon Prime Video, but all the good stuff had: ‘Not Available in Your Location’ next to it. Despite that, Amazon would still let me subscribe to its service.

Does anyone know why there’s such a problem between Thailand and these services?

I’d also be interested to know how other members have paid for their Netflix subscription. 

Thanks, in advance,

Stubby

Edited by Stubby

5 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Does anyone know why there’s such a problem between Thailand and these services?

Don't know ..... but HBO Go and Monomax are an add on for your 3bb subscription for 40bht/month.

Works quite well.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Don't know ..... but HBO Go and Monomax are an add on for your 3bb subscription for 40bht/month.

Works quite well.

What, my 600 and something Baht internet?  I'll check it out, BMT 😉 

9 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Use a VPN and get an account outside Thailand. 

yup, friend is OZ has 5 allowable connections to his subscription.... I use that with a VPN.

• Like 2

I use Paypal and it works fine. But that's no use to you if they don't allow it for new Thai subscriptions.

There is a lot of good stuff there. It definitely is worth persevering in my opinion.

As for Amazon Prime, I took a one month trial recently and it is a total waste of time. As you said, nothing of any note is available in Thailand, despite annoyingly appearing on the screen.

Good luck.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Use a VPN and get an account outside Thailand. 

It's one idea Pilotman, but I've lost count how many VPNs fail nowadays. It's almost impossible to get anything that works with BBC iPlayer, for example. And if one does, there's no saying it'll still be working next week. I think a lot of these services are getting savvy to VPNs 😞

Just now, madmitch said:

I use Paypal and it works fine. But that's no use to you if they don't allow it for new Thai subscriptions.

There is a lot of good stuff there. It definitely is worth persevering in my opinion.

As for Amazon Prime, I took a one month trial recently and it is a total waste of time. As you said, nothing of any note is available in Thailand, despite annoyingly appearing on the screen.

Good luck.

Thanks MadMitch. Why PP is such a problem from Thailand I have no idea. But they don't allow it, along with Thai debit cards. There must be reasons, but the agent didn't know. I might opt for a Gift Card, but Netflix has peed me off a bit now with its, we don't accept this, and we don't accept that, attitude. 

Just now, Stubby said:

t, along with Thai debit cards.

Does the debit card have a name on it?

My Visa debit was next to useless for anything online, got a new card issued with my name on it then it was all good.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stubby said:

It's one idea Pilotman, but I've lost count how many VPNs fail nowadays. It's almost impossible to get anything that works with BBC iPlayer, for example. And if one does, there's no saying it'll still be working next week. I think a lot of these services are getting savvy to VPNs 😞

Express VPN works fine for me, for Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO. The library for the UK and US on Netflix is much more extensive than the Thai one. 

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

Express VPN works fine for me, for Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO. The library for the UK and US on Netflix is much more extensive than the Thai one. 

Nord VPN has worked fine for me both here and when I was in the Phillipines.

• Like 1

I’m using my BBL debit card to pay Netflix. No problems so far.

I use my SCB debit card for paying Netflix in Thailand and have done so for about 6 month now no problem. One time there was not enough money on my account and Netflix stopped, but I got an Email from them that there were problems with paying and after putting money into the account it opened again. Many good movies in Netflix.

I just use my home country credit card.

22 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Does the debit card have a name on it?

My Visa debit was next to useless for anything online, got a new card issued with my name on it then it was all good.

No it doesn't, I just checked. My UK one does, but I want to pay for Thai services in Thailand, Don. My Thai Debit Card is Be1st. Anyway, Netflix doesn't like it.