Cantaloupe - Sooo Good

EVENKEEL

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

I have found cantaloupes in Thailand pretty tasteless compared to the same kind of melons in Australia. Bland is a good description.

Agreed, like cardboard compared to California ones.  So are the strawberries.

I thought the strawberries would be better since I would think there is a micro-climate in Thailand that would be good for them.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bangsaenguy said:

Thai canteloupe is tasteless. Do not know about the Aussie ones but Pecos canteloupe from West Texas are awesome. Something in the soil

Common name in Australia is Rock Melon, sweet and juicy, and the flesh is more soft and yellow, not like the pale, bland, hard Thai version.

Edited by giddyup
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

I have found cantaloupes in Thailand pretty tasteless compared to the same kind of melons in Australia. Bland is a good description.

I haven't found a good one yet,  thinking about getting my son to send some seeds and grow my own! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

Yeah bro Aussie ones are delicious ???? I'll stick to cheap cheap mangoes papaya delicious bananas lol ????

There is some very good cantaloupe in Thailand.  The good ones are grown from seed imported from Japan.  

Find a good melon farm in your area.  I got some really good ones from Lamoonfarm in Ratchaburi.

There are lots of tasteless Thai varieties too though.

• Like 1

Ahhh .. the naysayers .. we have a few melon farms down here, I think we pay 70-100B per kilo at the farm gate, actually delivered, but never mind.

Agreed, the lumps of coal from Big C taste like you say, but if grown right they are lovely, totally different ballgame.

The ones we buy have a date when they were picked, they are left to rest for a few days and then they are allowed to be sold, there is no local market, they are all sent to top hotels in BKK or abroad. 

There seems to be a proliferation of hydro-lettuce farms, we tried a few they are as bitter as f, from the melon farm they are full of flavor - but again, the cost is a little more, but still cheap in comparison to a bag in a supermarket.

https://www.facebook.com/KritSamaiPlantation.Hatyai.Songkhla/

https://www.facebook.com/rikamelonfarm

Edited by recom273

13 minutes ago, rwill said:

There is some very good cantaloupe in Thailand.  The good ones are grown from seed imported from Japan.  

Find a good melon farm in your area.  I got some really good ones from Lamoonfarm in Ratchaburi.

There are lots of tasteless Thai varieties too though.

Tried the Japanese ones, not much different than the Thai except twice the price. I have been here 11 years, tried dozens, they are all tasteless.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Ahhh .. the naysayers .. we have a few melon farms down here, I think we pay 70-100B per kilo at the farm gate, actually delivered, but never mind.

The difference being I don't need to go to a melon farm in Australia to find a good one, I can buy it from the supermarket. I'm quite happy to stick with the fruit that does have taste here, like bananas, pineapple and mangoes.

49 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The difference being I don't need to go to a melon farm in Australia to find a good one, I can buy it from the supermarket. I'm quite happy to stick with the fruit that does have taste here, like bananas, pineapple and mangoes.

Try chewing lemons

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

That’s great! When there is a mango, banana or pineapple thread I will agree with you too .. but this is about melons in Thailand not melons that are for sale in Thailand Supermarkets, or in Australia .. 

4 hours ago, elgenon said:

I thought the strawberries would be better since I would think there is a micro-climate in Thailand that would be good for them.

Straw berries from the north are very good!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bangsaenguy said:

Thai canteloupe is tasteless. Do not know about the Aussie ones but Pecos canteloupe from West Texas are awesome. Something in the soil

Lived in Texas 32 years. Good cantaloupe! One of my favorite fruits, and the ones I've had here aren't that bad, but not near as good as Texas.

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

That’s great! When there is a mango, banana or pineapple thread I will agree with you too .. but this is about melons in Thailand not melons that are for sale in Thailand Supermarkets, or in Australia .. 

The OP doesn't say where he bought the cantaloupe, could have been supermarket. I have bought them from local markets as well as supermarkets, none of them had any taste. That specific enough for you?

57 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The OP doesn't say where he bought the cantaloupe, could have been supermarket. I have bought them from local markets as well as supermarkets, none of them had any taste. That specific enough for you?

This was my first time buying cantaloupes. Bought it at a little stand, had the waffle cushion on it. I usually just buy watermelons but this cantaloupe was very sweet, 70 bht/kilo so it's pricey but I'll be buying more for sure.

Oh dear! I don´t know where you guys buy your fruits. When I buy Cantaloupe or any other fruit I get a solid flavor and good taste.

Maybe it´s just that we have too many guys need to complain about Thailand again. Did you think that this was a subtile way to do it. Gotcha!

8 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Oh dear! I don´t know where you guys buy your fruits. When I buy Cantaloupe or any other fruit I get a solid flavor and good taste.

Maybe it´s just that we have too many guys need to complain about Thailand again. Did you think that this was a subtile way to do it. Gotcha!

Some fruits taste better in some places than others. The cantaloupe here isn't as good as Texas ones. mangoes here are top notch. Bananas here aren't as good as the ones we had in the states, which usually come from Latin America. Strawberries in New Jersey are better than the ones in Texas. Apples from New York and Washington states are the best I've had, with the exceptions of Fujis from Japan, which are very good also.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Some fruits taste better in some places than others. The cantaloupe here isn't as good as Texas ones. mangoes here are top notch. Bananas here aren't as good as the ones we had in the states, which usually come from Latin America. Strawberries in New Jersey are better than the ones in Texas. Apples from New York and Washington states are the best I've had, with the exceptions of Fujis from Japan, which are very good also.

WOW! You are the fruit expert. I will bow my head and fall on my knees to the ground. Please dubb me, you wise one! ????????

Just now, Matzzon said:

WOW! You are the fruit expert. I will bow my head and fall on my knees to the ground. Please dubb me, you wise one! ????????

Just a fruit eater that has had fruit in many locations. That lesson was free. Any added lessons will cost $9.95, and if you order today, you can get 1 additional lesson and free shipping to anywhere in Southeastern Tibet.

• Haha 2

it's not Thailand bashing.   I believe it is true, whether the variety is different or the humidity or soil or water  or picking time .  there does seem to  be locals that produce the best tasting  produce.    look at coffee,  tea, wine grapes,  apples, cantaloupe, chili  peppers, avocados, oranges.   they all have there region.    near me we have Hatch chilis,  and melons like cantaloupe  are famous from green river,  ut.  a dry got sunny desert climate.  

I've seen the greenhouse cantaloupe grows in Thailand.   lots of work  how they tie each melon up and green house to keep the bugs out.