Thailand to ban online alcohol sales to curb underage drinking

snoop1130

14 hours ago, bluesofa said:

It makes you wonder if there's been some pressure from the big brewers behind this.

An online alcohol sales ban will seriously affect the smaller retailers but not the big companies, who have always anything they can to kill off competition.

that makes zero sense whatsoever. The big brewers will lose business if there are fewer sales venues for their products.

I think these big brewers must be the worst lobbyists in the country, because every time there is a religious holiday, the sale of their products are banned. And now you have this.

14 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Looks like there's a trend of killing off any growing competition by using covid as an excuse. The usual Sino-Thai sixpack on killing spree. I suppose it's natural for a vassal state of the commies to have home grown oligarchs.

Yet China itself does things WAY differently, therefore, I can't subscribe to the concept of Thailand being a "vassal state of China" when Thailand has a right-wing government (China's is officially "left-wing") and China never banned alcohol to my knowledge, nor does it have any similar sort of heavy handed attitudes towards alcohol consumption.

Thailand is ruled by oligarchs alright, and most of them may be ethnic Chinese, but they are doing things their own way without "interference" from Beijing.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Kids will still be able to go into any local mom and pop shop and buy as much inferior Thai alcohol as they like. What evidence is there that underage have been buying online, surely they need a credit or debit card to start with

Yep 20 baht shots of Lao Kao in the M-150 bottle....

• Like 1

So this means TOPS will stop delivering alcohol purchased online through their grocery delivery service? How ridiculous! Why not just request ID when delivering, OR set up a system whereby you need to scan a copy of your ID card, passport or driver's license substantiating you are aged 20 or over onto the system before allowing the purchase to be made?

Talk about a nanny state trying to crush a nut with a sledgehammer!

And for the record, I'm no big drinker, so this will barely affect me BUT I've been enjoying the convenience and freedom of shopping online, having my groceries delivered (this includes the occasional bottle of wine) WITHOUT having to go to a supermarket and being treated like cattle, with the stupid mask wearing, temperature check and tracking app BS you have to go through. Sure, in a few months this will likely be over, but I'm actually enjoying the online shopping experience and plan to continue with it. Now if I want a bottle of wine I may be forced to actually drive 100km round trip as previously because some mentally retarded bureaucrat couldn't come up with a more logical solution, like the one I have proposed.

Some people urgently need to write letters to the government proposing my solution to this problem so they can overturn this ridiculous ban.

Edited by drbeach

The law to prevent underage alcohol purchasing is in place now & ordering online should need a credit card with a need for stating age

The anti alcohol lobby is alive & well in Thailand & they are grasping at another straw here.

The Ma & Pa stores along with 7/11 maybe need to toughen up their checking first but this is Thailand & Mr Plod does not give this any priority so case closed.

• Like 1

Being unable to buy online will have absolutely zero effect on the smaller suppliers. As well as being used to access the internet, phones used to be used to make calls, back in the old days. How about turning the clock back and calling the supplier. Not too difficult.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bluesofa said:

It makes you wonder if there's been some pressure from the big brewers behind this.

An online alcohol sales ban will seriously affect the smaller retailers but not the big companies, who have always anything they can to kill off competition.

Why can't they pick up the phone and order? You know, speak to someone like in the old days. I'm showing my age I suppose, because I remember when people used to use phones to speak to people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Being unable to buy online will have absolutely zero effect on the smaller suppliers. As well as being used to access the internet, phones used to be used to make calls, back in the old days. How about turning the clock back and calling the supplier. Not too difficult.

When you look at it that way, it's not really a big loss. After all, it hasn't been more than a couple of years since online grocery shopping has even been possible in Thailand. I can't remember when it came into being, but doubt it existed before around 2015.

Still, sometimes technology does provide great benefits to society (online grocery shopping being one example) that if you're not able to offer a particular type of product due to regulatory reasons, it kind of makes the whole experience a little less useful to the point that you might give up on it altogether (unless you're not in a position to go out, such as if you're sick or disabled) and just go back to regular in-store grocery shopping.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Whoa, back to the 80's, call Marty McFly. Next thing I'll be digging in the junk pile for a fax machine. Or maybe making a fire for smoke signals. Jungle drums maybe.

Bungabunaga..Chardonnay...Bungabunga...New Zealand..Bungabungabunga....

Pretty much describes where this country is heading to. 

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

Nothing to do with underage drinking and everything to do with looking after their alcohol producing mates. Remember the extension of the alcohol ban, that was dropped two days later, pressure from the mates. Remember the doubling in wine tax, same. People buying online are getting access to products not produced by the mates, so what is a good smokescreen to look after the mates. Replace "mates" with benefactors, Hiso, oligarch etc as you choose.

Cheers

22 hours ago, drbeach said:

that makes zero sense whatsoever. The big brewers will lose business if there are fewer sales venues for their products.

I think these big brewers must be the worst lobbyists in the country, because every time there is a religious holiday, the sale of their products are banned. And now you have this.

"Competition is a sin" - John D. Rockefeller

8 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

You need a credit card to purchase alcohol online

So my question is what age can someone get a credit card here

Also, where would these underage drinkers have their booze sent to? Their mum and dad's house? The Post Office? Delivered in person to the underage buyer?

Making sure the person buying the alcohol is of age is very simple.  

• Like 1