Certificate of entry from Thai embassy or consulate required for foreigners to enter Thailand

snoop1130

On 7/2/2020 at 8:09 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

Are we still pretending tourism will return this year?

41586_2010_Article_BFnews2010120_Figb_HT

Or how about the Thai government is singularly responsible for the downfall of tourism in thailand?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

My DVA Gold health card (I have disabilities from the war in Vietnam) covers everything, but of course a minimum of US$100,000 coverage, or anything similar is not specifically mentioned.

Why don't you call your insurance company and ask them to send you a letter spelling out the coverage?

Some insurance companies don't provide the maximum amount because it's "unlimited".

If such just ask them to write it down in the letter.

That's what MFA is asking for.

And why did you call Thai Health Ministry?

You're dealing with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

That's their requirements.

Edited by unheard

2 hours ago, unheard said:

Why don't you call your insurance company and ask them to send you a letter spelling out the coverage?

Some insurance companies don't provide the maximum amount because it's "unlimited".

If such just ask them to write it down in the letter.

That's what MFA is asking for.

And why did you call Thai Health Ministry?

You're dealing with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

That's their requirements.

The DVA is not an insurance company, it's the Australian Government Department of Veterans Affairs. they don't engage in individual letters case by case.

I did call the Thai Embassy in Sydney, who asked me to call the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Sri-Ayuthaya Rd, Bangkok, which I did, and they told me to call the Health Ministry.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, scorecard said:

The DVA is not an insurance company, it's the Australian Government Department of Veterans Affairs. they don't engage in individual letters case by case.

I did call the Thai Embassy in Sydney, who asked me to call the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Sri-Ayuthaya Rd, Bangkok, which I did, and they told me to call the Health Ministry.  

I see...

Sorry to hear that.

Sounds like you are S.O.L.

Hope you find something suitable as an alternative.

Edited by unheard

On 7/3/2020 at 6:28 AM, samsensam said:

i dont think the 'several groups' refereed to includes tourists. thailand is not open for tourists yet. some countries are welcoming tourists, others aren't. the thai government dont feel the country is able to accept tourists at the moment.

I'm reasonably sure that they'll find a reason to be letting the horde return pretty soon though. It's just a good excuse to keep the farangs they apparently despise out as long as possible.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 7:20 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I e-mailed the Thai Embassy in London who replied with the following list of requirements: 

I sent back the following: 

1) Declaration-spouse of Thai (M Signed)

2) Copy of Passport 

3) Copy of Passport Visa Page

4) Marriage Certificate

5) Wife's Thai ID Card

6) Wife’s Passport 

7) My Tambien Baan (yellow house book) 

8. Wife’s Tambien Baan (Blue House Book) 

9) ASQ Booking

10) Flight Confirmation 

11) Health Insurance Certificate (confirmation of Covid-19 cover / up to US$1 Million)

In the e-mail I stated the UK Clinic where I have the booking for the Covid-19 Test and Fit to Fly evaluation 72hr prior to flight departure. 

I didn’t provide a Covid-19 test result or Fit to Fly certificate as the requirements are to provide this within 72hrs of the flight. 

I don’t like the blindly waiting part without even knowing whether my application has been received - par for the course I suppose. 

Thank you for sharing your application so far, the information has been useful. Could you please tell me where you were able to find a clinic which does Covid testing with a quick turnaround? I've not had any luck in finding one as yet. Additional, with regards to the Health Insurance Certificate, does the policy explicitly say Covid coverage is included or is the fact it's not excluded sufficient proof?

I'm looking to travel to visit my Wife and newborn son in August, I'd really appreciate the information as the London Thai Embassy wasn't able to give specifics. 

On 7/4/2020 at 7:43 PM, phetchy said:

Helpful post - not relevant, but helpful.  It's transliteration - how you would spell in English what it sounds like to you in Thai.  Anyone with any knowledge of such Thai matters would understand "Tanbien Baan", written or spoken, with no trouble.  Ask 20 Thais to transliterate the English "house book" to Thai, and you'd get 20 different answers. 

This is of course all way off topic, but I think @tikkymummy's point is that the Thai word does not contain an "m" or "n" sound in the middle at all, so "tambien" and "tanbien" aren't possible alternate transliterations - unlike, for example, "thabien" or "tabeean", which look strange, but accurately reflect the actual Thai pronunciation. You're right that most people reading or hearing "tambien baan" would know what you meant, but that would be purely from context. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, khunjeff said:

This is of course all way off topic, but I think @tikkymummy's point is that the Thai word does not contain an "m" or "n" sound in the middle at all, so "tambien" and "tanbien" aren't possible alternate transliterations - unlike, for example, "thabien" or "tabeean", which look strange, but accurately reflect the actual Thai pronunciation. You're right that most people reading or hearing "tambien baan" would know what you meant, but that would be purely from context. 

It's all lost in the mix anyway.  A "th" in a Thai is a hard "t" as in Ayutthaya, they usually use an "n" for an "l" in transliterated english words ending in "l", e.g. "footbon",  and not being comfortable with english words with no gap between two consonants on occasions - "Saprite" for Sprite. Throw in the mix of R's and L's (fa(r)(l)ang etc.,  in their own language and it's no wonder that my wife chastises me for not making things clear when we converse!       

• Like 1

It seems to me the current administration is more concerned with control or seeming to be in control than actually moving the country forward. The ever changing rules for just about anything shows that they did not think it through in the first place which seems to be the norm here, even putting priorities in the right order seems to be a challenge. Tourism is a big part of income for the country and yet rather than encourage it they seem to make it more and more difficult for tourists to come ( unless you are a cheap charlie from China), they dont seem to understand there are other more welcoming places to go. There seems to be no plan to exit the current virus situation or what to do about connecting back to the outside world through the airport, its all rather chaotic and that airport hub that exists at the moment could well be lost to the likes of Singapore, it wont be admitted or foreseen, the world we know as Thailand, center of the known world will carry on, just with less money and a lower status for some unfathomable reason

16 hours ago, phetchy said:

they usually use an "n" for an "l" in transliterated english words ending in "l", e.g. "footbon",

To clarify, they don't use an n for an l. 

ล (lor ling) at the end of a word in Thai is pronounced as an น (nor noo).

It is spelt the same as it sounds in English (football = ฟุตบอล) but the last letter is pronounced differently as it is at the end of the word following Thai pronunciation rules.

Edited by Mr Meeseeks
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

To clarify, they don't use an n for an l. 

Yes they do in "spoken" transliteration - football is footbon, apple ("l" sounding ending) is appen.  I am of course referring to the lower end of the scale of those Thais speaking English.  Newsreaders and the like speak better English than wot I do. 

PS just to confuse matters, isn't "lor ling" English transliteration for handsome monkey in Thai?

On 7/7/2020 at 4:49 AM, PeterRoy said:
On 7/3/2020 at 7:20 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I e-mailed the Thai Embassy in London who replied with the following list of requirements: 

I sent back the following: 

1) Declaration-spouse of Thai (M Signed)

2) Copy of Passport 

3) Copy of Passport Visa Page

4) Marriage Certificate

5) Wife's Thai ID Card

6) Wife’s Passport 

7) My Tambien Baan (yellow house book) 

8. Wife’s Tambien Baan (Blue House Book) 

9) ASQ Booking

10) Flight Confirmation 

11) Health Insurance Certificate (confirmation of Covid-19 cover / up to US$1 Million)

In the e-mail I stated the UK Clinic where I have the booking for the Covid-19 Test and Fit to Fly evaluation 72hr prior to flight departure. 

I didn’t provide a Covid-19 test result or Fit to Fly certificate as the requirements are to provide this within 72hrs of the flight. 

I don’t like the blindly waiting part without even knowing whether my application has been received - par for the course I suppose. 

Thank you for sharing your application so far, the information has been useful. Could you please tell me where you were able to find a clinic which does Covid testing with a quick turnaround? I've not had any luck in finding one as yet. Additional, with regards to the Health Insurance Certificate, does the policy explicitly say Covid coverage is included or is the fact it's not excluded sufficient proof?

I'm looking to travel to visit my Wife and newborn son in August, I'd really appreciate the information as the London Thai Embassy wasn't able to give specifics. 

@ Peter Roy... the situation seems to have evolved somewhat.

Here is what is necessary for the Application of Certificate of Entry at the Thai Embassy London 

Addressed to: [email protected]

1) Statement of Reason to return

2) Declaration-spouse of Thai (see attached)

3) Copy of Passport 

4) Copy of Passport Visa Page

5) Copy Marriage Certificate

6) Copy Wife’s Passport 

7) Copy Health Insurance Certificate (confirmation of Covid-19 cover US$100,000)

-------------

As I understand it:

8 ) The Covid-19 Test,

9) Fit to Fly Certificate,

10) Flight Ticket,

11) ASQ Booking

are not required until the Embassy has notified you that your Certificate of Entry has been approved. 

Once your Certificate of Entry has been approved, I think you are then notified and then you have to secure a seat on one of the Thai Airways repatriation flights, or you are told which TG flight you can take. You then have to book your flight and arrange all the other documents before receiving your CoE. 

The timeline for these seems very tight.

-------------

Covid-19 Testing: 

Obviously the timing of a Covid-19 test is a major concern.

https://midlandhealth.co.uk have told me they can turn around a result within 48 hrs

The test is taken at the Clinic in Birmingham.

https://www.summerfieldhealthcare.co.uk (midlands based) have test options.

- Visit the Clinic.

- Postal Service (test is posted to you, self swab, post the test back) - there’s potential issues with postal delays with this.

- Courier sercice (a courier brings the test and waits while you self administer the test and returns to the clinic) - more costly

Harley street in London has a lot of Clinics offering 24-48 hr turn around on Covid-19 PCR tests (make sure its the PCR test and not the Antibody test).

The key is to find a test facility near you - there really aren’t many outside of London. 

I have found that ‘Postal Service’ is offered the most, but the timing is the concern. 

-------------

Fit to Fly Certificate: 

There are lots of Private online Doctors which offer a 'Video chat’ and will provide this.

-------------

Certificate of insurance: 

My insurance company AprilMyHealth have issued me with a Certificate which states I am covered up to US$1,000,000 (1 Million) and the cover includes all complications related to Covid-19.

Note: Its Health Insurance Cover and not travel Insurance (I would usually have this Health Insurance in Thailand anyway) - The cost is THB, 33,000 baht per year (No OPD, World Wide Ex USA, THB 32,000 deductible). 

-------------

Comments: 

I’m wondering if all of this is not moot anyway. 

It seems no foreigners applying for CoE through the Spouse route have been given approval (world wide).

It would seem they are not going to get approval until all Thai’s in the queue are repatriated. 

I’ve been told that repatriation flights from the UK are full. 

Your timeline is to travel back in August - things may have changed by then.

The Emergency Decree may have been lifted and Flights other than TG can carry passengers back in. 

Then a whole new list of requirements may be in place or restrictions lifted - who can tell?

Declaration-spouse of Thai.pdf

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

Hi Richard, so travel insurance which covers covid is basically useless. 

So I need to get health insurance? 

I'm married to a Thai so will be getting a single non O visa    

I'm not travelling until mid December so things will probably change by then.... hopefully..

Edited by Davo369

4 minutes ago, Davo369 said:

Hi Richard, so travel insurance which covers covid is basically useless. 

So I need to get health insurance? 

I'm married to a Thai so will be getting a single non O visa    

I'm not travelling until mid December so things will probably change by then.... hopefully..

No, I haven’t said travel insurance is useless. 

I wrote that I have Health Insurance which covers Covid (because thats what I was going to get anyway.

Since the UK removed the FCO advice against travelling to Thailand ‘some’ travel Insurance may cover for Covid-19 but only if stated.

Some Travel Insurance Policies issued after the onset of Covid-19 may exclude any complications related to Covid-19.

Some Travel Insurance Policies have a clause excluding health complications due to Epidemics (a pandemic is a world wide Epidemic).

Each Policy is likely to be different and thus, specific questions need to be asked and confirmed before closing any policy. 

The Deal Maker / Breaker is whether or not a Company will issue a certificate Stating that the Policy Holder is covered for Covid-19 related complications up to / beyond US$100,000

A Lot easier to go somewhere else to spend my money. I am sure Thais are very proud of their country but it is not so special one has to crawl through miles of red tape to get here . It is a big world and these buffoons with all their rules and demands should have a good think about that.

1 hour ago, johnmcc6 said:

A Lot easier to go somewhere else to spend my money. I am sure Thais are very proud of their country but it is not so special one has to crawl through miles of red tape to get here . It is a big world and these buffoons with all their rules and demands should have a good think about that.

Where would you go, most countries have similar restrictions in place.

Its not like Thailand is the only country with restrictions. Health certificate, quarantine, insurance is pretty standard for most of the world at the moment.

Even if you find somewhere, a good chance no regular flights are going there.

Edited by Peterw42

On 7/3/2020 at 10:02 AM, nchuckle said:

As am I ,though not due back until September anyway. Despite being married I will not go through the quarantine/ COVID insurance inconveniences and considerable expense even if sacrificing my return ticket. Everything is just being done on the hoof anyway with ill  thought through consequences which will be changed again when that becomes apparent,so my strategy is just one of watch and wait. An expired extension can be started again with a new application process any way so the least of the current concerns. Also,signs are that new outbreaks are starting so that will likely trump everything.

Has it occurred to you that the Thai neither need nor want you back?

On 7/3/2020 at 5:15 AM, lks7689 said:

Maybe it's time you realise that they prefer you somewhere else?

I already left! And at 100,000 US$ insurance cover plus 14 days in quarantine at my own expense, i am not coming back. The Thais can shove it.

Beep! Beep! ...... Gone.

20 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

I already left! And at 100,000 US$ insurance cover plus 14 days in quarantine at my own expense, i am not coming back. The Thais can shove it.

Beep! Beep! ...... Gone.

My commiserations to whosever has to endure you and congratulations to those who happily now see the back of you.