Certificate of entry from Thai embassy or consulate required for foreigners to enter Thailand

snoop1130

12 hours ago, nchuckle said:

In order to apply for the certificate did you ,as I understand you have to ,is include confirmation $100,000 COVID insurance,hotel booking for 14 day quarantine and copy of flight ticket ? In the Times today it said only 10 insurers in total were providing COVID cover insurance. Unless you have only registered? Perhaps I’m not clear or am mistaken but not only is this required but also fit to fly certificate and COVID free test.? 
As usual For Thailand it all seems vague, ambivalent and ill thought through,perhaps also explaining lack of response- I bet the embassy is equally puzzled . Let me know and good luck 

You mentioned ... "In the Times today it said only 10 insurers in total were providing COVID cover insurance. "

Can you please share more details on this/ thanks. 

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I e-mailed the Thai Embassy in London who replied with the following list of requirements: 

I sent back the following: 

1) Declaration-spouse of Thai (M Signed)

2) Copy of Passport 

3) Copy of Passport Visa Page

4) Marriage Certificate

5) Wife's Thai ID Card

6) Wife’s Passport 

7) My Tambien Baan (yellow house book) 

8. Wife’s Tambien Baan (Blue House Book) 

9) ASQ Booking

10) Flight Confirmation 

11) Health Insurance Certificate (confirmation of Covid-19 cover / up to US$1 Million)

In the e-mail I stated the UK Clinic where I have the booking for the Covid-19 Test and Fit to Fly evaluation 72hr prior to flight departure. 

I didn’t provide a Covid-19 test result or Fit to Fly certificate as the requirements are to provide this within 72hrs of the flight. 

I don’t like the blindly waiting part without even knowing whether my application has been received - par for the course I suppose. 

You sent your actual house books and not copies?

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

You mentioned ... "In the Times today it said only 10 insurers in total were providing COVID cover insurance. "

I won’t submit link as you need a subscription but here’s the text

FC090ADC-8B16-4C42-BBA6-4CFC8D9396E2.png

5 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

I won’t submit link as you need a subscription but here’s the text

FC090ADC-8B16-4C42-BBA6-4CFC8D9396E2.png

Thanks, appreciated. I'll find some websites and check more details on the sites you mentioned...

image.png.5c0dab3c698023fec6f1fc7352fee91c.png

But just wondering whether the customer/passenger must be in the UK when they start/pay for the policy.

Edited by scorecard

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I e-mailed the Thai Embassy in London who replied with the following list of requirements: 

2) Copy of Passport 

4) Marriage Certificate

5) Wife's Thai ID Card

6) Wife’s Passport 

9) ASQ Booking

10) Flight Confirmation 

11) Health Insurance Certificate (confirmation of Covid-19 cover / up to US$1 Million)

In the e-mail I stated the UK Clinic where I have the booking for the Covid-19 Test and Fit to Fly evaluation 72hr prior to flight departure. 

I didn’t provide a Covid-19 test result or Fit to Fly certificate as the requirements are to provide this within 72hrs of the flight. 

I don’t like the blindly waiting part without even knowing whether my application has been received - par for the course I suppose. 

We’re ALL of those required- including Tambien bahn and statement from wifeor did you include some additional non requested items.? I presume that you have paid for flight ticket you will lose if don’t fly,but what about ASQ (which I presume to mean quarantine hotel) - is that a booking you’ve had to pay for too upfront and/or can it be canceled without losing that payment? With the flight,insurance and hotel booking I reckon that adds up to a quite substantial sum to potentially lose  if then your application is denied for whatever reason? If you’ve managed to ameliorate or  enable refund should that happen please say how you achieved this. But good luck ,you appear very anxious to get back and hope all goes well and I’d be keen to learn from whatever you report back on the experience.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

It is not necessary to have a specific COVID policy.

General health insurance policy that does not exclude COVID (most do not) and covers you in Thailand is fine. Many people have this already and frankly everyone should. Plenty of companies issue expat insurance policies specifically designed for people living in an other country. These do not exclude COVID.  Many travel insurance policies will though.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Thanks, appreciated. I'll find some websites and check more details on the sites you mentioned...

image.png.5c0dab3c698023fec6f1fc7352fee91c.png

But just wondering whether the customer/passenger must be in the UK when they start/pay for the policy.

Yes,these are policies designed for UK residents travelling abroad and in fact all holiday insurance is predicated upon you starting the journey in uk and most don’t allow insurance after your journey has begun. Residency is normally classified as having spent the last 6 months in uk. That said, you can take out the insurance and get the certificate for the purposes of having a document to show Thai authorities, but as with all insurance they don’t check on any qualifying criteria until you come to claim - that way they have your premium and can deny a claim...

28 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

General health insurance policy that does not exclude COVID (most do not) and covers you in Thailand is fine. Many people have this already and frankly everyone should. Plenty of companies issue expat insurance policies specifically designed for people living in an other country. These do not exclude COVID.  Many travel insurance policies will though.

You are right to bring this up and you are correct. The situation I referenced ,to which the poster replied,pertained to those who might not have an existing expat insurance,but were back in their home countries (UK in this case) and needing cover to comply with returning spouse requirements. By the time I’m due to return I will have spent 6 months back in uk thus qualifying as a resident for travel insurance purposes. This begs two questions - would one of those 10 specified travel insurance policies be acceptable to immigration for the purposes of returning and if so what would the duration of the policy have to be (until the expiry of your existing visa extension?) and if not,or you chose to commence a standard expat insurance,could you do that while outside of Thailand and would any new policy exclude Covid ? The other ambiguity is as the immigration requirements ask for $100,000 Covid cover would immigration be looking for specific wording on the policy mentioning that cover rather than simply it not being excluded in the small print ? I understand that ,as is often the case in Thailand, these things can be vague and aren’t truly tested until a few guinea pigs have established the precedent. But any understanding you have would be welcome.

10 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

You are right to bring this up and you are correct. The situation I referenced ,to which the poster replied,pertained to those who might not have an existing expat insurance,but were back in their home countries (UK in this case) and needing cover to comply with returning spouse requirements. By the time I’m due to return I will have spent 6 months back in uk thus qualifying as a resident for travel insurance purposes. This begs two questions - would one of those 10 specified travel insurance policies be acceptable to immigration for the purposes of returning and if so what would the duration of the policy have to be (until the expiry of your existing visa extension?) and if not,or you chose to commence a standard expat insurance,could you do that while outside of Thailand and would any new policy exclude Covid ? The other ambiguity is as the immigration requirements ask for $100,000 Covid cover would immigration be looking for specific wording on the policy mentioning that cover rather than simply it not being excluded in the small print ? I understand that ,as is often the case in Thailand, these things can be vague and aren’t truly tested until a few guinea pigs have established the precedent. But any understanding you have would be welcome.

You can certainly get an Expat policy prior to leaving the UK, but usually the effective date would be your planned date of travel and it would usually exlcude care in yoru homne country.

As far as I know, travel insurance provided it does not exclude COVID would be acceptable.  I have not seen any mention of required duration of insurance. But it is possible your permission of stay would be limited to no longer than the duration of your policy.

You will need a letter from the insurer starting the policy details (dates, level of cover) and that COVID related illnesses are covered. No one is going to wade through the policy documents.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

You can certainly get an Expat policy prior to leaving the UK, but usually the effective date would be your planned date of travel and it would usually exlcude care in yoru homne country.

As far as I know, travel insurance provided it does not exclude COVID would be acceptable.  I have not seen any mention of required duration of insurance. But it is possible your permission of stay would be limited to no longer than the duration of your policy.

You will need a letter from the insurer starting the policy details (dates, level of cover) and that COVID related illnesses are covered. No one is going to wade through the policy documents.

Thank you for that clarification -you always provide useful guidance! It would be interesting to know if a short term COVID inclusive travel insurance policy having got you into the country has then served its purpose because then your existing Non immigrant O marriage/retirement visa,which in my case is valid until end January and is not conditional upon insurance,is then your legal permission to stay until it expires / is extended ? 
I know it is against your current advice but I have made an informed choice based on my circumstances not to have expat insurance for now . But that is a different subject.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Interesting information however I recall that earlier it was specifically mentioned that the insurance must cover COVID 19 tests and treatments and overall cover not under US$100,000. Maybe I'm missing something?

12 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Interesting information however I recall that earlier it was specifically mentioned that the insurance must cover COVID 19 tests and treatments and overall cover not under US$100,000. Maybe I'm missing something?

Also Australia insurance policies are void if travelling to a country that has a government travel ban, which Thailand does, and most policies will exclude pandemics, which Covid obviously is.

Edited by aussiexpat

36 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Any expat policy should more than fit that. Usual level of cover is $500k - $1 million USD.

Likely no insurer will pay for COVID tests that aten't medically indicated though. That won't preclude you getting in as policy will still fully cover costs of COVID diagnosis and tteatment (in accordance with standard medical practices). But you need to be prepared to pay out of pocket for the COVID test on arrival and at end of quarantine as well of course as for the quarantine itself.

58 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Thank you for that clarification -you always provide useful guidance! It would be interesting to know if a short term COVID inclusive travel insurance policy having got you into the country has then served its purpose because then your existing Non immigrant O marriage/retirement visa,which in my case is valid until end January and is not conditional upon insurance,is then your legal permission to stay until it expires / is extended ? 
I know it is against your current advice but I have made an informed choice based on my circumstances not to have expat insurance for now . But that is a different subject.

As far as I know once you are admitted in, that's it and anyway once past the 14 day quarantine yoy would no longer be considered a risk for  COVID.

The big question is whether you would be stamped in for the full duration if your current permission iif stay (end January) if your insurance covers a shorter period. 

This is still unchartered territory.

To be on the safe side I'd make sure the policy was for at least as long as your permission of stay.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, nchuckle said:

In the Times today it said only 10 insurers in total were providing COVID cover insurance.

It seems to be a very tenacious myth that insurance companies do NOT cover COVID! The additional requirement to get a certificate that insurance company does cover COVID is nonsense. ALL insurance companies MUST cover that virus disease as well as all other similar virus diseases like flue and others.

Does anybody has a proof that an insurance company does EXCLUDE COVID from their cover? I do not think so.

Addition: I meant a health insurance company NOT travel insurance company.

Edited by Prince77
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 9:39 AM, dpcjsr said:

I am beginning to worry. The dictator does not like falangs. Now he is stopping them from coming to Thailand as tourist. He does not care what that does to the economy. His hatred for falangs is being satisfied. How long until he goes after the rest of us? This is not a good sign. 

Quite so, it just confirms quite a few peoples opinion that this scenario is an ideal opportunity for the authorities to impose their longtime hidden agenda to keep farangs out of the country period.  Even though it's getting a bit easier to get to the UK, I won't be doing so until I'm 100% sure I can get back.

On 7/2/2020 at 9:54 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

I wonder how long it will be before the Thais realise why we all went somewhere else?

They will claim, because 'foreigners have no money', while aforementioned foreigners party in Vietnam, Philippines, Bali, Gold Coast, etc.

I seriously doubt that Thailand will see 39.8 million tourists, or the income generated of them in 2019, anytime soon again. Perhaps in 2030, if they're lucky. As for whom to blame, I suggest Thai officials in charge a look into the mirror...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

2) Copy of Passport 

4) Marriage Certificate

5) Wife's Thai ID Card

6) Wife’s Passport 

9) ASQ Booking

10) Flight Confirmation 

Am I missing something?  If these are the requirements of the Thai authorities to start the ball rolling for a return to his home in Thailand, how does a farang spouse get on if he was already in the UK pre Covid and his wife stayed in LoS with her ID, passport, marriage certificate and Tabien Baan?  Now forewarned, anyone having a need to leave Thailand now, knowing what is required to get back, can at least take copies of the necessary docs before leaving for the UK   

45 minutes ago, Prince77 said:

It seems to be a very tenacious myth that insurance companies do NOT cover COVID! The additional requirement to get a certificate that insurance company does cover COVID is nonsense. ALL insurance companies MUST cover that virus disease as well as all other similar virus diseases like flue and others.

Does anybody has a proof that an insurance company does EXCLUDE COVID from their cover? I do not think so.

It’s no myth for travel insurance- what part of the Times article didn’t you grasp?. Reading and comprehension difficulties? Only 10 uk travel insurers offer cover. Most people with existing pre Covid annual policies have been specifically have been told in no uncertain terms that any new trips are NOT covered. You’re entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts. 

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

As far as I know once you are admitted in, that's it and anyway once past the 14 day quarantine yoy would no longer be considered a risk for  COVID.

The big question is whether you would be stamped in for the full duration if your current permission iif stay (end January) if your insurance covers a shorter period. 

This is still unchartered territory.

To be on the safe side I'd make sure the policy was for at least as long as your permission of stay.

Indeed a sound philosophy and given that travel insurance (if you qualify as a uk resident) is generally cheaper and more comprehensive (baggage cover etc) and covers either up,to 90 day trips under annual insurance,or even specific 'backpacker' long term trips for up to a year ,it may be a better interim option anyway.

6 hours ago, JCP108 said:
15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

2) Copy of Passport 

4) Marriage Certificate

5) Wife's Thai ID Card

6) Wife’s Passport 

9) ASQ Booking

10) Flight Confirmation 

You sent your actual house books and not copies?

Scanned copies of everything - all originals are in Thailand. 

10 minutes ago, nchuckle said:
59 minutes ago, Prince77 said:

It’s no myth for travel insurance- what part of the Times article didn’t you grasp?. Reading and comprehension difficulties? Only 10 uk travel insurers offer cover. Most people with existing pre Covid annual policies have been specifically have been told in no uncertain terms that any new trips are NOT covered. You’re entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts. 

There are variables: 

There are many Travel Insurance companies which outline that ‘Covid-19’ is not covered if taking out a policy ’since the outbreak’. 

There are many Travel Insurance companies which outline that cover is not provided for ‘Epidemics’.

There are ’some’ Travel Insurance companies which outline that ‘Covid-19’ is covered if taking out a policy before the outbreak’ if not travelling against FCO travel advice. 

There are ’some’ Travel Insurance companies which outline that ‘Covid-19’ is covered if taking out a policy ’since the outbreak’ if not travelling against FCO travel advice. 

I haven’t seen one Travel Insurance companies which will provide Cover for travel at all if the travel goes against FCO travel advice. 

FCO Travel advice for UK citizens to Thailand has been lifted (so that last point is now moot)

Health Insurance is different - and many companies provide cover for ALL respiratory illnesses and epidemics. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, phetchy said:

Am I missing something?  If these are the requirements of the Thai authorities to start the ball rolling for a return to his home in Thailand, how does a farang spouse get on if he was already in the UK pre Covid and his wife stayed in LoS with her ID, passport, marriage certificate and Tabien Baan?  Now forewarned, anyone having a need to leave Thailand now, knowing what is required to get back, can at least take copies of the necessary docs before leaving for the UK   

All the requirements are for ‘Scanned Copies’ of the documents. 

I over did it with the Tambien Baan documents just to show proof of residence etc. 

All copies of documents are stored in my Drop Box (Cloud storage) anyway.

4 hours ago, nchuckle said:

We’re ALL of those required- including Tambien bahn and statement from wifeor did you include some additional non requested items.? I presume that you have paid for flight ticket you will lose if don’t fly,but what about ASQ (which I presume to mean quarantine hotel) - is that a booking you’ve had to pay for too upfront and/or can it be canceled without losing that payment? With the flight,insurance and hotel booking I reckon that adds up to a quite substantial sum to potentially lose  if then your application is denied for whatever reason? If you’ve managed to ameliorate or  enable refund should that happen please say how you achieved this. But good luck ,you appear very anxious to get back and hope all goes well and I’d be keen to learn from whatever you report back on the experience.

Not ALL we’re required - The specific list of requirements has been posted a few times. 

I paid for the flight which can be changed free of charge for up to 2 years. 

50% ASQ deposit is fully refundable if cancellation takes place within 7 days of booking - can change dates within 3 days of booking *(I think they’ll be more flexible on date change of the CoE hasn’t come through).

The Health Insurance is something I’d have anyway in Thailand (my renewal was due at the end of May). 

I work away a lot (hence I got caught outside of Thailand when lockdown kicked off) and now I’m just sat in the UK doing nothing - I’m wasting time a father should be spending with his 6 year old son and Wife. 

If the lockdown was going to be lifted next month, I’d just wait, But, we have no idea if Thailand is going to remain locked down for another 2 months or so - its somewhat of a gamble - the only additional cost is the Quarantine, but that is offset by not having costs in the UK. 

29 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not ALL we’re required - The specific list of requirements has been posted a few times. 

I paid for the flight which can be changed free of charge for up to 2 years. 

50% ASQ deposit is fully refundable if cancellation takes place within 7 days of booking - can change dates within 3 days of booking *(I think they’ll be more flexible on date change of the CoE hasn’t come through).

The Health Insurance is something I’d have anyway in Thailand (my renewal was due at the end of May). 

I work away a lot (hence I got caught outside of Thailand when lockdown kicked off) and now I’m just sat in the UK doing nothing - I’m wasting time a father should be spending with his 6 year old son and Wife. 

If the lockdown was going to be lifted next month, I’d just wait, But, we have no idea if Thailand is going to remain locked down for another 2 months or so - its somewhat of a gamble - the only additional cost is the Quarantine, but that is offset by not having costs in the UK. 

Sounds like a well thought through plan. I’m in a different situation- retired ,staying with our daughter in UK so no additional expenses and I’ve made a considered choice not to have Expat insurance and really am put off by the 14 day quarantine. So I’ll stick it out if need be for a few months to avoid that,but as you rightly say no one knows where this is going. All the best.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Any expat policy should more than fit that. Usual level of cover is $500k - $1 million USD.

Likely no insurer will pay for COVID tests that aten't medically indicated though. That won't preclude you getting in as policy will still fully cover costs of COVID diagnosis and tteatment (in accordance with standard medical practices). But you need to be prepared to pay out of pocket for the COVID test on arrival and at end of quarantine as well of course as for the quarantine itself.

Thank for all of that.

My DVA Gold health card (I have disabilities from the war in Vietnam) covers everything, but of course a minimum of US$100,000 coverage, or anything similar is not specifically mentioned.

I did call the Thai Health ministry and asked them if I presented my DVA Gold card (I explained what is was) on arrival, would that suffice? 

The officer said she would ring back and she did about 2 hours later, the answer was no, which is what I was expecting.

Given the above I'm trying to find a short-term policy but so far there's always some complication. Being 75 yo doesn't help, the search continues. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1