Agent for Non - O marriage 1 year extension?

I have a Non-O marriage visa (im from US) expiring this August 15. I am currently using the amnesty to July 31st since I have already used my 60 day extension which expired June 30.

I'd like to do a 1 year marriage extension (if it's a thing?) but I do not meet the financial requirements. I heard that an agent could help with this?

Can someone with expertise explain how agent could help? Where to find an agent?

Any tips or insights could really help my family out, thanks!

• Haha 1

A clarification on me not meeting financial requirements.

For the past year, I have a setup where i withdraw 100k baht at the atm from my US based bank and pretty much pay everything in cash. 

I dont know the details of the requirements and how to fulfill it...

You don't say how old you are or where you are. If your old enough for retirement I doubt an agent will sell you into a marriage visa due to the work involved in it for them, they'd just do a retirement one - well, I've never heard of an agent that would be prepared to do a marriage one when they can sell you a retirement one. Though I am sure someone on here will tell me different.

• Like 2

Finding an agent to help with an extension of stay based upon marriage will be difficult to find and the cost could be as much as 40k baht.

If you have a income of 40k baht or more you could use that option to apply for the extension. You would need to start transfers of at least 40k baht a month into a Thai bank in your name only from abroad. You have to show proof that transfers came from abroad. You would only need a couple of month of transfers to apply for your first extension.

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Finding an agent to help with an extension of stay based upon marriage will be difficult to find and the cost could be as much as 40k baht.

I have been quoted 15k for the first 90 days portion, and then another 25k for the extension for the rest of the year, so 40k THB in total, as Ubonjoe mentioned.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MagnumForce said:

I have been quoted 15k for the first 90 days portion, and then another 25k for the extension for the rest of the year, so 40k THB in total, as Ubonjoe mentioned.

I think the 40k you were quoted sound about right, however if you're in Pattaya PM me...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you have a income of 40k baht or more you could use that option to apply for the extension. You would need to start transfers of at least 40k baht a month into a Thai bank in your name only from abroad. You have to show proof that transfers came from abroad. You would only need a couple of month of transfers to apply for your first extension.

ubonjoe, you always have the best info and responses, thank you so much!

Looks like agent route is out.

I do have a bank account in my name only at Bangkok Bank. 

It's great news that it only require a couple of months of deposits into it. 

What are some ways to proof that money comes from abroad? I have US bank accounts that I have been withdrawing about 100k banht per month from ATM, and then I've been depositing some of that cash into Bangkok Bank. I now have to do bank to bank international transfers?

56 minutes ago, phungo said:

I now have to do bank to bank international transfers?

Yes

Immigration will only accept transfers that are shown as foreign transfers. Many people use transferwise that would be shown as foreign if you set up your account for them to be only sent to Bangkok Bank.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes

Immigration will only accept transfers that are shown as foreign transfers. Many people use transferwise that would be shown as foreign if you set up your account for them to be only sent to Bangkok Bank.

Transferwise sounds great.

I'm not sure I understand...what do you mean by "set up your account for them to be only sent to Bangkok Bank."? I have sent money from USA bank via transferwise to others in thailand before I arrived here. Is this a problem?

28 minutes ago, phungo said:

I'm not sure I understand...what do you mean by "set up your account for them to be only sent to Bangkok Bank."? I have sent money from USA bank via transferwise to others in thailand before I arrived here. Is this a problem?

If itr is not sent to Bangkok Bank it will not be shown as a foreign transfer. There is a drop down menu on the transferwise site to give a reason for the transfer there is one (last one I think) for visa, immigration purposes or such.

1 hour ago, phungo said:

Transferwise use three Thai banks (Bangkok bank, Kasikorn and TMB) as partner banks when they send money to Thailand. To send money and have it classified as an international transfer you will need to have an account at one of those banks (most people tend to use Bangkok bank) and send the money directly to that Thai account using Transferwise. If sending to any other Thai bank account the money will still arrive without a problem .....BUT ..... TW will always send it via one of their three partner banks so, because it's arrived via another Thai bank it will show up in your account as a local transfer.

When actioning a transfer you must also select the 'funds for long term stay in Thailand' on the application as your reason for the transfer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Depending on the office you use, especially if you are going for a thai-family based extension, you may be required to prove to immigration that your income "comes from a state pension."  I had proven international-deposits and an embassy letter at an Issan office, but was denied an extension for this reason.

Where will you be applying?  As each office can make up their own rules w/o any oversight to ensure consistency, it matters a lot.  Even then, an IO may behave differently in the same office - either due to moving the goalposts for the office, or their attitude that day.

Before doing anything else, I suggest you go to your local office, and speak to an IO who handles the application.  The "information" folks in some offices will give you the "official requirements," which sometimes do not match what the IO at the desk that handles your application actually wants (been there and done this, myself).

Expect they will push for 400K "in the bank" - and treat you in a less-than-favorable way, if you do not have that to xfer here, or do not feel save having that portion of your liquid-assets in a Thai bank.

• Thanks 1

Is it possible to change from 1 year multiple entry NON-O to a NON-O 1 year extension whilst on a 60 day extension of current multi entry NON-O? Obviously trying to figure out how to stay after amnesty ends. 

17 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Is it possible to change from 1 year multiple entry NON-O to a NON-O 1 year extension whilst on a 60 day extension of current multi entry NON-O? Obviously trying to figure out how to stay after amnesty ends. 

You can apply for the one year extension near the end of your 60 day extension.

9 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

Transferwise use three Thai banks (Bangkok bank, Kasikorn and TMB) as partner banks when they send money to Thailand. To send money and have it classified as an international transfer you will need to have an account at one of those banks (most people tend to use Bangkok bank) and send the money directly to that Thai account using Transferwise. If sending to any other Thai bank account the money will still arrive without a problem .....BUT ..... TW will always send it via one of their three partner banks so, because it's arrived via another Thai bank it will show up in your account as a local transfer.

When actioning a transfer you must also select the 'funds for long term stay in Thailand' on the application as your reason for the transfer.

Ahh thanks for the detailed explanation.

On 7/3/2020 at 11:14 AM, ubonjoe said:

Yes

How many months do you need to show on your Thai bank?

7 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

Twelve months. A minimum of 65k baht (retirement) or 40k baht (marriage) each and every month.

Oh, that’s trashed my plan of using this month + 60 day extension to monthly put 40k into my account and then convert to non-o 1 year extension .... ouch

7 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

Twelve months. A minimum of 65k baht (retirement) or 40k baht (marriage) each and every month.

For the first extension of a non-o visa entry only 2 months is needed.

29 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Oh, that’s trashed my plan of using this month + 60 day extension to monthly put 40k into my account and then convert to non-o 1 year extension .... ouch

See above.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

For the first extension of a non-o visa entry only 2 months is needed.

See above.

So the first extension would be good for 1 year, and then I’d need 40k into my account every month for 12 months for the next year’s extension?.... major sigh of relief here, two young kids I need to be here with.... cheers again, Joe.

On 7/3/2020 at 2:55 PM, JackThompson said:

Depending on the office you use, especially if you are going for a thai-family based extension, you may be required to prove to immigration that your income "comes from a state pension."  I had proven international-deposits and an embassy letter at an Issan office, but was denied an extension for this reason.

This is quite amazing since you could be working in Thailand and not be entitled to any state pension. Remember many people on thai-family extensions have work permits. 

On 7/5/2020 at 5:25 AM, Boomer6969 said:

This is quite amazing since you could be working in Thailand and not be entitled to any state pension. Remember many people on thai-family extensions have work permits. 

That is for those with foreign-income sources.  I had an overseas business when that was used to prevent my proven-income legit extension.

I now have a work-permit and work in Thailand, with multiples of the required min-income (though less than I made before), and tried in vain to get an extesion for this.  At some offices (including CW), you may need to most/all of the same documentation as needed for a Non-B, in addition to the marriage-docs - and no consideration of covid-conditions are given, so deferred tax-payments, impossible pictures in a closed-office, etc will be used to stop you.  

See here for a great report from someone who managed to get one this way, and all that was required:

Edited by JackThompson

7 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

If I try the 40k per month into my Thai account route, does the overseas account that will transfer the money to my Thai account  have to be in my name?

It could depend upon who sent it. If it is from a pension provider and etc it would be accepted. No sure about an individual.

On 7/3/2020 at 7:38 AM, ubonjoe said:

Is there a set number of months the foreign income (into the foreigner's Thai bank account) needs to be shown? (location Chiang Mai)

I seem to recall it's 4 months.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It could depend upon who sent it. If it is from a pension provider and etc it would be accepted. No sure about an individual.

I thought you only had to show a letter or document from the bank that simply stated the monthly deposits were 'International Transfers', and that the details of where they came from (pension, overseas employer, or even which country or whatever) doesn't need to be documented.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Ok, it’s just that my family rents out a property in France, was hoping to use those proceeds 

On 7/2/2020 at 11:59 PM, john terry1001 said:

Sorry to ask for clarification but if I have money in a UK bank ( HSBC ) and transfer it into my Bangkok Bank account , how does transferwise come into it ? Do I have to get HSBC to transfer money to Transferwise first ? (  is that too obvious ? )

My current non O multi based on marriage from Sav expires in September. So if I get a 60 day extension and have two 40,000 deposits sent ( one a month ) during that time , when the 60 days is about to expire I go to immigration and ask for a 1 year extension based on marriage ? Have I got that right and if so apart from marriage certificate and proof of transfers are there any other important docs needed ?

Thanks.