ruam / รวม / ร่วม

Bklyn

รวม/ร่วม is a trap, sort of like ไกล/ใกล้. I'm constantly confused about which tone to use in which situation. Every time I have to use it, like ordering ตำผลไม้รวม I second-guess myself. Does anyone have a simple rule of thumb to remember by? 

Thanks.

In my mind, I think of รวม (combine, add, include) as less important than ร่วม (sharing). Using a "falling tone" (ร่วม), in my English mind, adds emphasis, or importance. So I can remember that sharing is more important that combining, so I remember to put the emphasis on ร่วม, i.e., use the falling tone. I do the same thing with ไกล and ใกล้. Something close is more important, or urgent, than something far away, thus it gets the tone. Silly, but it works for me.

On 7/2/2020 at 6:43 PM, timendres said:

In my mind, I think of รวม (combine, add, include) as less important than ร่วม (sharing). Using a "falling tone" (ร่วม), in my English mind, adds emphasis, or importance. So I can remember that sharing is more important that combining, so I remember to put the emphasis on ร่วม, i.e., use the falling tone. I do the same thing with ไกล and ใกล้. Something close is more important, or urgent, than something far away, thus it gets the tone. Silly, but it works for me.

I have never had a problem with ไกล being far because ไม้มลาย is open, whereas ไม้ม้วน is closed so closer. 

The difference between รวม and ร่วม .  
รวม is simple it means บวกเข้าด้วยกัน add things together and ผสมเข้าด้วยกัน mix things together. I am translating ด้วยกัน as together, one with another. So a simple transitive verb, รวมเงิน combine the money รวมคะแนน combine the marks.  

ร่วม ก. มีส่วนรวมอยู่ด้วยกัน groups doing together, เช่น ร่วมกิน! ร่วมนอน   eating as a group sleeping as a group, Then: มีส่วนรวมเป็นอันหนึ่งอันเดียวกัน Groups identified as one เช่น ร่วมใจ ร่วมสามัคคี one heart, one unity. มีส่วนรวมในที่แห่งเดียวกัน  groups of a place  ร่วมโรงเรียน ร่วมบ้าน ร่วมห้อง ร่วมหอ Same school same house etc. เห็นแก่ส่วนรวม specially for the group. มีส่วนรวมในภาวะหรือสถานะเดียวกัน Groups with common situations or conditions 
เพื่อนร่วมชาติ same nationality มีศัตรูร่วมกัน Same enemy ทำบุญร่วมญาติ give as relatives. ร่วมเป็นร่วมตาย ร่วมทุกข์ร่วมสุข  ร่วมชะตากรรม someone else can translate that. 

So, has this brought us any closer to answering the question: ตำผลไม้รวม or ตำผลไม้ร่วม ? 
I think that it should be ตำผลไม้รวม because รวมผลไม้= ผลไม้ถูกรวม or ผลไม้รวม But I could be wrong. 

15 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

I have never had a problem with ไกล being far because ไม้มลาย is open, whereas ไม้ม้วน is closed so closer. 

รวม is simple it means บวกเข้าด้วยกัน add things together and ผสมเข้าด้วยกัน mix things together. I am translating ด้วยกัน as together, one with another. So a simple transitive verb, รวมเงิน combine the money รวมคะแนน combine the marks.  

ร่วม ก. มีส่วนรวมอยู่ด้วยกัน groups doing together, เช่น ร่วมกิน! ร่วมนอน   eating as a group sleeping as a group, Then: มีส่วนรวมเป็นอันหนึ่งอันเดียวกัน Groups identified as one เช่น ร่วมใจ ร่วมสามัคคี one heart, one unity. มีส่วนรวมในที่แห่งเดียวกัน  groups of a place  ร่วมโรงเรียน ร่วมบ้าน ร่วมห้อง ร่วมหอ Same school same house etc. เห็นแก่ส่วนรวม specially for the group. มีส่วนรวมในภาวะหรือสถานะเดียวกัน Groups with common situations or conditions 
เพื่อนร่วมชาติ same nationality มีศัตรูร่วมกัน Same enemy ทำบุญร่วมญาติ give as relatives. ร่วมเป็นร่วมตาย ร่วมทุกข์ร่วมสุข  ร่วมชะตากรรม someone else can translate that. 

So, has this brought us any closer to answering the question: ตำผลไม้รวม or ตำผลไม้ร่วม ? 
I think that it should be ตำผลไม้รวม because รวมผลไม้= ผลไม้ถูกรวม or ผลไม้รวม But I could be wrong. 

I was not addressing the "meaning" of the words at all.

Just explaining the simple method that I use to remember the tone.

I have to come up with all sorts of little tricks to help me remember tones.

• Like 1

Timendres. The quote was added somehow  giving the impression that I was addressing it although I was answering bklyn. “Which tone in which situation” and assumed that you were also. 
I see that I didn’t answer him because I don’t have a “simple rule of thumb” . 
Has anyone an opinion on ตำผฃไม้รวม ? 

On 7/2/2020 at 1:43 PM, timendres said:

Thanks. That is something I'll remember. 

On 7/4/2020 at 5:31 AM, tgeezer said:

Thanks, tgeezer, for your usual thoughtful discussion. There are YouTube videos demonstrating the preparation of ตำผลไม้รวม, so I'm convinced that's correct. It's just a matter of remembering it! (But I think I've got it now) ???? 

Thank you.

I knew that รวม should be the word and explained but anomalies creep in and can become "grammatical" eventually. This creep makes learning language a question of parrot learning and paradoxically makes the process more difficult. An English example Is could've which sounds like "could of" and was I believe said initially by people who  wanted to speak "proper" and is so common now that it is probably taught as spoken English.  
People of my generation use many inexplicable English expressions which would not have been acceptable to our father's generations but I flatter myself that I can speak English so have no need to explain them.

I visit here to try to solve puzzles.  ร่วม รวม has always puzzled me because one is in the definition of the other which I was too thick to see! 

ร่วม has a sense of coming together to do something, whereas รวม is mixed or just being together

ผลไม้รวม since it's not doing anything together

ร่วมเพศ to have sex

ร่วมกันทำกิจกรรม coming together for an activity