Cooking

I definitely enjoy cooking. I especially like cooking something for Thais that they have never tasted or tried before. Like sauerkraut and pork done in a slow cooker with mashed potatoes as a side. I also make a tasty apple cake that everyone enjoys and is not available in stores.

• Like 2

Yeah,, in Canada I cooked ALL my own  food. Had friends for big meals. Great....

Here I don't have a kitchen, only fridge and micro wave: Oh yemine ! 

Have a campstove on the balcony. Gonna buy a slow cooker. Terrible to cook for one person without a large freezer. 

Anybody else in the same boat ? How do you manage, what do you cook ?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Some people on here are getting confused. Could you imagine the response if you said to the Mrs of g/f, "be sure to check the ladder rungs before you clear the leaves off the roof?"

Clearing leaves of the roof is part of the job description my gardeners agreed to.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I don't cook. That's what women are for.

Some people on here are getting confused. Could you imagine the response if you said to the Mrs of g/f, "be sure to check the ladder rungs before you clear the leaves off the roof?"

Let the ladies do what they are good at and leave us free for more important stuff.

As my wife works, has a very busy job, and i am home with sod all to do except read, Thai visa, leaves me plenty of time for cooking.

Even my wife says i am a damn good cook, she is happy with the arrangement, as she can come home and not have to worry about cooking dinner.

She enjoys having different foods, first time i made mac/ cheese, she would not eat it, now she loves cheese.

Edited by colinneil
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I don't cook. That's what women are for.

Let the ladies do what they are good at and leave us free for more important stuff.

Amen, I couldn't cook if my life depended on it.

Wife on the other hand is a 'great cook' we eat like farangs mostly, however she still enjoys her Thai dishes.

I mostly sit on my rear end looking for opportunities to make money to survive on and she does what she enjoys, dessert is to die for, almost killed me once, 4 in one day, I soon realised I was no longer Superman ????

• Like 2

I've always enjoyed cooking, from the age of 10 or so, I enjoy cooking stuff from all over the world, I was cooking Thai before I'd even visited here and still think my take on Thai red or green curries is better than most that I've eaten here and my wife even agrees with me, although I wouldn't presume to try and improve her Isaan cooking.

My favourites are Spanish/Portuguese Italian, Mexican, Chinese and Indian, also of course English, you can't beat roast beef and Yorkshire pudding...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Amen, I couldn't cook if my life depended on it.

Wife on the other hand is a 'great cook' we eat like farangs mostly, however she still enjoys her Thai dishes.

I mostly sit on my rear end looking for opportunities to make money to survive on and she does what she enjoys, dessert is to die for, almost killed me once, 4 in one day, I soon realised I was no longer Superman ????

Well said 4MyEgo.

If a man was alone, with no women around, and it was either cook or starve, then it's obvious what he would do. He wouldn't mess about with suflays and puddings though. But that's not really being discussed here. Cooking is a traditional job for ladies. Fixing the car engine is man's work. Of course, one could point out that women climb telegraph poles in Russia, and that would be true. But, they don't wear their mini-skirts while they do!!!! Well, not all the time.

There is far too much of this; "oh his feminine side is so sweet", and "he knitting skills have improved. He knits socks so well." I don't know if it was that English footballer's fault that the world has gone tospey-turvey. "He wears my undies. So in touch with his feminine side."

Let's get back to men being (and behaving like) men, and ladies being ladies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Well said 4MyEgo.

If a man was alone, with no women around, and it was either cook or starve, then it's obvious what he would do. He wouldn't mess about with suflays and puddings though. But that's not really being discussed here. Cooking is a traditional job for ladies. Fixing the car engine is man's work. Of course, one could point out that women climb telegraph poles in Russia, and that would be true. But, they don't wear their mini-skirts while they do!!!! Well, not all the time.

There is far too much of this; "oh his feminine side is so sweet", and "he knitting skills have improved. He knits socks so well." I don't know if it was that English footballer's fault that the world has gone tospey-turvey. "He wears my undies. So in touch with his feminine side."

Again amen.

You just brought back an old memory going back to the 2nd of March 2007 when I flew with my wife from Thailand on a tourist visa to Sydney.

After the short 10-15 minute taxi ride to my house from the airport, I opened the front door and as I went to grab the bag, she walked in and said; where is the kitchen, I said turn right and go down the hallway and it is the 2nd on your right, (I had just finished having it renovated prior to my last trip to Thailand in December 2006), that is when I met her in December 2006, she walked down the hallway, found the kitchen and said, ok, this is my kitchen, you cannot come in here when I am cooking, ok, um..... ok boss was my reply and we have lived happily ever after under her rule ????

She is also good at plumbing, climbing ladders to prune hedges and will just about give everything a go before seeking my help, that's my kind of girl.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thoroughly enjoy cooking, even more so since coming to Thailand where the food is not as enjoyable as in China. My main problem with continuing my love of cooking here is the lack of a kitchen. Even new build houses here seem to be devoid of a kitchen. My condo has a "kitchenette", well, a sink and a hole yo put stuff and a fridge. Neighbours here use a gas cylinder and burner on the balcony for all their cooking but with my washing machine taking up 60% of my balcony I cant do that. I have an electric hob, a godawful induction hob and an oven so things are improving on the cooking front although I really miss my kitchen back in China with a hot water tap for the sink for washing up (instead of having to boil a kettle), shelving for all my ingredients and appliances. Can't have that here because my kitchen before was about half the size of my current condo. 

• Like 1

One Christmas I made a lovely dinner,for some friends and their Thai wives.

Turkey,Lamb, Pork, Mashed roast pots,stuffing, roast parsnips,carrot,peas,gravy,

put the food in front of them,and I seen one of the wives say something

to my wife,she came back with a tub of Chilli powder,and two of the wives

sprinkled it all over the dinner ! ! , its like me putting HP sauce on Thai food,

I used to bake a lot,scones,apple pies,meat pies,but I taught the wife how 

to do it,so she does all the baking now,but I still cook most of my own food,

mostly curries,Indian,Thai,Japanese,also do Mexican,Italian,sometimes fry ups.

for breakfast mostly.

Feel sorry for those men who cannot even boil an egg.......

regards worgeordie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can easily rustle up food I enjoy with no need for cook books, have cooked for many dinner parties over the years

In Thailand my wife enjoys cooking for me, and the children, I will occasionally be the chefs assistant.

Happy to be pampered these days no need to fight for the kitchen

I like and enjoy cooking, not that Im a particular good cook. Easy and simple  stuff I feel I can handle ok, but not any fancy stuff. 
It is kinda self satisfying to both buy ingredients, cook and eat the things I come up with....and a lot cheaper than eating out.

0A59D6F1-5FA6-4A7F-AC63-1D04CC2ABEEF.jpeg

03E7AF94-EE7B-4348-9AB6-9D87AF5A5850.jpeg

• Like 2

On 7/3/2020 at 2:58 AM, Meat Pie 47 said:

So any of you like to cook?

Yea, We like home cooked  ,don't go out and don't do Take aways (only odd occasion) If one cooks at home one can make the required adjustments to their Taste no matter Which country food one is cooking. I like my meals with a Lot of Veg and some meat or/fish/chicken /pork/eggs/cheese. 

Do some baking sometimes Apple Turnovers with Cinnamon ,cheese cake  ,Sausage rolls , 

and  all the stuff that's not suppose to be good for ya.   

Edited by digger70

I hate cooking too time consuming and compared to the time i spend eating not worth it. However to each his or her own. 

I prefer easy healthy meals. Usually when i cook i cook in bulk freeze some ect. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Well said 4MyEgo.

Yet most chefs are men... 

• Thanks 1

On 7/3/2020 at 6:48 AM, colinneil said:

Very funny, user name Meat pie 47 loves to cook.

Yes mate i really enjoy cooking these days, i try cooking many different foods.

You tube is a great source of fantastic recipes.

I try food from many different countries, wife comes home now, asks what countries food do we eat tonight.

Why is it funny I love to cook Colin? Because of my username?

And yes I do make my own meat pies.