Cooking

On 7/3/2020 at 2:58 AM, Meat Pie 47 said:

but do you like cooking? When I say

cooking I don't mean just Thai food or you country food,

I do mean cooking food from other countries.

Can't afford 'white man restaurants' so I have to cook it myself.

Did a chicken breast in the air fryer just now, with baked potato and diced bell pepper (microwave), and Tesco onion gravy.

Enjoyed eating it, not sure I enjoyed cooking it, but only about 30s preparation time.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

She is also good at plumbing, climbing ladders to prune hedges and will just about give everything a go before seeking my help, that's my kind of girl.

How often does she let you bang her?

I'm thinking rarely!

• Sad 1

I am one of them; as my Thai wife calls them: I am a Cooker! ! Yes, I like to cook. I think sometime next week I will be doing some interesting cooking as I have invested in some Induction plates and a new oven. Just waiting for my new kitchen cupboards to come and I will be all set.

My Thai wife likes some Western-style food and I am waiting for the inspiration to decide how I will christen my new stuff.

So, shall I make a bread and butter pudding, a cottage loaf - Italian, French or English style? Or a vegetable lasagna or maybe bake her a cake!

Any suggestions for an introductory gourmet, epicurean delight?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Well said 4MyEgo.

If a man was alone, with no women around, and it was either cook or starve, then it's obvious what he would do. He wouldn't mess about with suflays and puddings though. But that's not really being discussed here. Cooking is a traditional job for ladies. Fixing the car engine is man's work. Of course, one could point out that women climb telegraph poles in Russia, and that would be true. But, they don't wear their mini-skirts while they do!!!! Well, not all the time.

There is far too much of this; "oh his feminine side is so sweet", and "he knitting skills have improved. He knits socks so well." I don't know if it was that English footballer's fault that the world has gone tospey-turvey. "He wears my undies. So in touch with his feminine side."

Let's get back to men being (and behaving like) men, and ladies being ladies.

Your way is the same way the dinosaurs went. Almost all of my generation know how to cook. We can even make coffee ????. I don't like cooking as i think its too time consuming. But i can. 

Never understood guys like you, you severely underestimate men and woman. We are equal in most things men and woman. Its a fact of life. Males might be a bit stronger but nowadays not much work requires muscles. You like math problems, there are quite a few female math wiz that will give you a run for your money. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

As my wife works, has a very busy job, and i am home with sod all to do except read, Thai visa, leaves me plenty of time for cooking.

Even my wife says i am a damn good cook, she is happy with the arrangement, as she can come home and not have to worry about cooking dinner.

She enjoys having different foods, first time i made mac/ cheese, she would not eat it, now she loves cheese.

And add to that Colin the best chefs in the world are men

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Your way is the same way the dinosaurs went. Almost all of my generation know how to cook. We can even make coffee ????. I don't like cooking as i think its too time consuming. But i can. 

Never understood guys like you, you severely underestimate men and woman. We are equal in most things men and woman. Its a fact of life. Males might be a bit stronger but nowadays not much work requires muscles. You like math problems, there are quite a few female math wiz that will give you a run for your money. 

This may surprise you Rob, but my wife cooks Thai food better than I do, and so much quicker and easier. I enjoy her cooking, the children enjoy her cooking, and she enjoys the fact that we all enjoy her cooking. Why would I seek to change that.

Also my wife is very aware of how others might view me cooking too frequently!! Took quite some time to be accepted helping out ironing my own shirts, although happily the tradition is now continued and my son is capable of ironing his school shirts and uniforms.

Nothing wrong with having skills, knowing when to apply them is perhaps another skill that needs to be fine tuned.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

This may surprise you Rob, but my wife cooks Thai food better than I do, and so much quicker and easier. I enjoy her cooking, the children enjoy her cooking, and she enjoys the fact that we all enjoy her cooking. Why would I seek to change that.

Also my wife is very aware of how others might view me cooking too frequently!! Took quite some time to be accepted helping out ironing my own shirts, although happily the tradition is now continued and my son is capable of ironing his school shirts and uniforms.

Nothing wrong with having skills, knowing when to apply them is perhaps another skill that needs to be fine tuned.

Why would it surprise me ? I am just saying there are no man and woman jobs (in general). Both could do it equally well.  Nobody said you should change a thing, its just so strange to think that a woman HAS to cook or clean. I hate both and so does my gf. We both work so we hire a maid and order food. Sometimes she cooks sometimes I cook. But neither of us like it much.

My point is more that there are so many dinosaurs on this board that think a man should do this and a woman should do that. I am of the opinion that both can do it and it depends a bit how the other division of labor is. When both work then either housework should be shared or take a maid. Stuff like that. But the default.. this is what a woman should do is so outdated. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

I am one of them; as my Thai wife calls them: I am a Cooker! ! Yes, I like to cook. I think sometime next week I will be doing some interesting cooking as I have invested in some Induction plates and a new oven. Just waiting for my new kitchen cupboards to come and I will be all set.

My Thai wife likes some Western-style food and I am waiting for the inspiration to decide how I will christen my new stuff.

So, shall I make a bread and butter pudding, a cottage loaf - Italian, French or English style? Or a vegetable lasagna or maybe bake her a cake!

Any suggestions for an introductory gourmet, epicurean delight?

How about a French onion soup followed by a beef Wellington, then a Do nothing cake?

I used to do a lot of cooking and really enjoyed it. Now I don't cook any more because I am homeless. Yes, I stay in hostel that hasn't got a kitchen.( i am bankrupt)

Because I had enjoyed good home cooked foods it also brought sufferings because now I eat street foods and you can imagine how much I suffer eating those badly cooked street foods. And also the standard of hygiene among these street foods is very low.

I sometimes worry about food poisoning. I don't think the average Thais know anything about food poisoning.

Cooking is an art like making good coffee. Some of these foods and coffee people are eating and drinking reflects on the crude civilization and culture.

The art of good cooking is in its simplicity.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Why would it surprise me ? I am just saying there are no man and woman jobs (in general). Both could do it equally well.  Nobody said you should change a thing, its just so strange to think that a woman HAS to cook or clean. I hate both and so does my gf. We both work so we hire a maid and order food. Sometimes she cooks sometimes I cook. But neither of us like it much.

My point is more that there are so many dinosaurs on this board that think a man should do this and a woman should do that. I am of the opinion that both can do it and it depends a bit how the other division of labor is. When both work then either housework should be shared or take a maid. Stuff like that. But the default.. this is what a woman should do is so outdated. 

People excel at different skills sets, and differing levels, while with training, yes, all could carry the capability and certificates, some will be more comfortable in certain areas.

So in a large company you may have several men and several women who can, and wish, to fill a position.

The 'division of labour' in the home will be more readily defined by who does what best, regardless of sex. Almost every task, my wife and I share the load, it is not an 'equality' thing it is because we can. But I tend to stand back on the cooking and baby topics ready to assist rather than 'lead' I see that as good judgement having confidence in my wife and her skills.

16 minutes ago, robblok said:

"So we both work hire a maid" male?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 473geo said:

"So we both work hire a maid" male?

Female maid.. not many male maids around. Just someone who cleans stuff and so on. I do my own laundry (no ironing thank god). 

Point was more that IMHO there is no default setting in the division of labor. If the guy has more time and the lady works then he can do more in the house and vice versa. Personally I detest cleaning, ironing, gardening ect. As I make enough money in Thailand its easy to hire someone for that. Especially as my partner works too. Had she only worked then things would be different. 

But just that there is no default setting or men should do this and woman should do this. I think that is totally old fashioned. I think it just depends on the situation and likes and dislikes skills ect. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Harry Fingerling said:

How about a French onion soup followed by a beef Wellington, then a Do nothing cake?

Thank you, yes, I will do the French Onion soup but I will skip the Beef Wellington and spend no time cooking a "do nothing cake".

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

How often does she let you bang her?

I'm thinking rarely!

That's an interesting yet personal question, nevertheless which ever answer I provide you, no doubt you would only believe what you want to believe so I won't answer your question.

As many times as I like, when I like....lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

That's an interesting yet personal question, nevertheless which ever answer I provide you, no doubt you would only believe what you want to believe so I won't answer your question.

As many times as I like, when I like....lol

Only once in my relation was i in a relation where it was not the way you describe. Not sure i could stay in a relation if it was different. 

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

Only once in my relation was i in a relation where it was not the way you describe. Not sure i could stay in a relation if it was different. 

Um...each to their own I suppose, everyone has different views on how relationships should be, the relationships that work are because the couple stick with what they agreed to in the beginning and it still suits them, the others fall apart because they got into a relationship that they later found didn't suit them or they didn't agree on what they wanted in or from the relationship in the beginning, e.g. love is blind, but what about what you are going to do and what I am going to do, sort of like a job, sort of like a contract I suppose.

27 minutes ago, robblok said:

Female maid.. not many male maids around. Just someone who cleans stuff and so on. I do my own laundry (no ironing thank god). 

Point was more that IMHO there is no default setting in the division of labor. If the guy has more time and the lady works then he can do more in the house and vice versa. Personally I detest cleaning, ironing, gardening ect. As I make enough money in Thailand its easy to hire someone for that. Especially as my partner works too. Had she only worked then things would be different. 

But just that there is no default setting or men should do this and woman should do this. I think that is totally old fashioned. I think it just depends on the situation and likes and dislikes skills ect. 

On default settings, if the man is employed outside the home earning external revenue, and the woman is happy holding down the 'job' of homemaker, then surely that is not default, but a satisfactory 'division of labour'? also if the roles were reversed? How is that old fashioned?

23 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Um...each to their own I suppose, everyone has different views on how relationships should be, the relationships that work are because the couple stick with what they agreed to in the beginning and it still suits them, the others fall apart because they got into a relationship that they later found didn't suit them or they didn't agree on what they wanted in or from the relationship in the beginning, e.g. love is blind, but what about what you are going to do and what I am going to do, sort of like a job, sort of like a contract I suppose.

Never was a contract, always had girls that liked sex too. Even had it happen that i was told i was not giving enough ????. But had one GF when i was young who hated it.. stupid me i was too young to end it fast.

12 minutes ago, 473geo said:

On default settings, if the man is employed outside the home earning external revenue, and the woman is happy holding down the 'job' of homemaker, then surely that is not default, but a satisfactory 'division of labour'? also if the roles were reversed? How is that old fashioned?

Of course that is a satisfactory division of labor. Same if its the other way around. It really depends on the situation. Point was more that it did not HAVE to be like that. That it really just depended on the situation.

My dad is now retired and does a lot more shopping then when he was not retired. You won't see him clean or vacuum but he does other stuff in the house. But before he retired he did not. 

I am more talking about guys who think a womans job is cooking even if both work or if the guy does not work and the woman does and she still needs to cook for him. That kind of thing. 

Also sometimes guy retires does not do a thing anymore but lets his wife do everything like a maid. IMHO not really a nice thing to do. But again different folks different strokes. 

1 hour ago, Denim said:

For those looking for tasty goodies from home , here is a useful site with all your favorites :

https://www.lazada.co.th/food-variety/?from=wangpu&langFlag=en&page=1&pageTypeId=2&q=All-Products

Good tip, I used them a few times now currently waiting on Bisto gravy granules and a Chinese curry sauce mix. Ordered on a whim just in case it really does taste like a chinese curry. Prob not so healthy though.

1 minute ago, Saltire said:

Good tip, I used them a few times now currently waiting on Bisto gravy granules and a Chinese curry sauce mix. Ordered on a whim just in case it really does taste like a chinese curry. Prob not so healthy though.

Well I suppose using sauce mixes and gravy granules can be loosely described as 'cooking' but then so is putting food in the microwave ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

Well I suppose using sauce mixes and gravy granules can be loosely described as 'cooking' but then so is putting food in the microwave ????

Read my post #8 before you open your mouth.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Read my post #8 before you open your mouth.

Touchy - but does not alter my opinion that pre bought sauces, gravy granules, boil in the bag fish, and microwaved food are hardly highlighting culinery expertise

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Saltire said:

I also love to cook, cook every day, sometimes the wife even likes my dishes.

Coming from Scotland my favourite food is of course Indian curry.

Over the last few years I have managed to buy, steal or borrow many Indian spices, mainly using online shops as there is nowhere near me carries this.

I cook keto too so no rice or bread with the curries but you get used to that. Sometimes I will make bread in a mug with almond flour, which is fine. Favourite is quality ground beef (from paleorobbie.com) made into a creamy curry with onions, garllic and tomatoes. Sometimes I will cheat and stick in a few potatoes.

Haven't gone on a break for 4 months, which is our only opportunity to eat out, so saved a packet lately.

I love Indian curry too having lived in India for some years previously. I particularly like British Restaurant curry which accounts for at least four of my meals weekly. There’s plenty of online Indian wholesalers in BKK that will deliver anywhere for a small price.

5 hours ago, holymoly said:

Yeah,, in Canada I cooked ALL my own  food. Had friends for big meals. Great....

Here I don't have a kitchen, only fridge and micro wave: Oh yemine ! 

Have a campstove on the balcony. Gonna buy a slow cooker. Terrible to cook for one person without a large freezer. 

Anybody else in the same boat ? How do you manage, what do you cook ?

Why wpuld you choose to live like that, absent basic necessities?

I cook daily, I have spent years amassing the kitchen equipment I need to do what I need to.

Nothing fancy just quality pots, pans, knives and acessories. Cooking with the right stuff is very satisfying.

10 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Touchy - but does not alter my opinion that pre bought sauces, gravy granules, boil in the bag fish, and microwaved food are hardly highlighting culinery expertise

Aint nothing wrong with bisto, perhaps englands only Quality contribution to food, a few cheeses and sausages aside.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Fingerling said:

I love Indian curry too having lived in India for some years previously. I particularly like British Restaurant curry which accounts for at least four of my meals weekly. There’s plenty of online Indian wholesalers in BKK that will deliver anywhere for a small price.

Well I am not in Los anymore but I really like Indian curry, I make my own curry

and seldom buy it from the shop I never use curry powder I make the real thing

from ingredients but many people are to lazy to do that.

• Like 1