Cooking

11 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Just off to prepare dinner, coconut prawns, with veg stir fry, baby corn, onion, garlic, pak choi, sweet peppers, red cabbage, mushrooms.

That sounds delicious! ???? Where did you say you live?

• Haha 2

On 7/3/2020 at 2:58 AM, Meat Pie 47 said:

When I say

cooking I don't mean just Thai food or you country food,

I do mean cooking food from other countries.

I never cook Thai. 

Lately, I have gotten into baking. Now, I am pursuing sour dough.

It's been working pretty good. 

starter.jpg

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

That's an interesting yet personal question, nevertheless which ever answer I provide you, no doubt you would only believe what you want to believe so I won't answer your question.

As many times as I like, when I like....lol

At 72 ..... once a month then.

I'm getting there too.

24 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

That sounds delicious! ???? Where did you say you live?

Where does he live ?   ..................... entirely in his own mind ????

I remember him when he couldn't cook a tin of beans !!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

That´s because it would be a waste of time just thinking about cooking a tin of beans. They are already destroyed. ????

So, now you do not dare to take away this cooking masters credibility in the kitchen. ????

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Just love to cook! Both professionally and in home. The Show you won, was that Master Chef Australia or something a little bit lower. I have been following all the food shows. Actually people that have not worked in the business can give great ideas and great inspiration. Just love to cook.

yes you are correct with Master Chef

13 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Well I am not in Los anymore but I really like Indian curry, I make my own curry

and seldom buy it from the shop I never use curry powder I make the real thing

from ingredients but many people are to lazy to do that.

There was a Gordon Ramsay cooking show where he had a cook off with one of Thailand's top / most famous chefs. One of the dishes was a curry. Gordon Ramsay made the curry paste from individual ingredients while the top chef used a paste made by someone else. When the top chef saw Gordon making the curry paste himself he said words to the effect of, "What are you making the curry paste for, no-one in Thailand does that, we just buy it or have someone else make it for us!"

• Haha 2

On 7/3/2020 at 11:06 PM, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

I cook all the time. Love old Australian recipes. Got old Aussie cookbooks used to be my mums. 1930 to 1945.

I can cook up a storm.

????????????

Ah..'The Commonsense Cookery Book' as well as another one in a green cover (Women's Day'?) I used to use those a lot many moons ago..Lemon meringue pie..yummo!

Cooking and chemistry are very similar operations. Time, temperature, reactants. As my Thai GF has taken over most of the cooking, the only thing I do nowadays is poached eggs.

On 7/4/2020 at 11:25 AM, flinc2020 said:

Thoroughly enjoy cooking, even more so since coming to Thailand where the food is not as enjoyable as in China. My main problem with continuing my love of cooking here is the lack of a kitchen. Even new build houses here seem to be devoid of a kitchen. My condo has a "kitchenette", well, a sink and a hole yo put stuff and a fridge. Neighbours here use a gas cylinder and burner on the balcony for all their cooking but with my washing machine taking up 60% of my balcony I cant do that. I have an electric hob, a godawful induction hob and an oven so things are improving on the cooking front although I really miss my kitchen back in China with a hot water tap for the sink for washing up (instead of having to boil a kettle), shelving for all my ingredients and appliances. Can't have that here because my kitchen before was about half the size of my current condo. 

One of the things I enjoy about cooking here is the need to improvise, keeps your brain working. You'd be amazed at what you can cook with a tabletop oven, one gas hob sitting on top of a gas bottle and a slow cooker for example...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Rhymes with banker..... If you took time to visit me, you would see that i have progressed dramatically with my cooking, almost at Gordon Blue standard, or something like that.

Tonight Tandoori kebabs, marinating in the fridge now, photo tomorrow.

Edited by colinneil
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Have you tried the Tesco Madras sauce ?  I think it is like what i remember years ago in Indian restaurants in england.

I can recomend it but may well not be to your taste. Bought a jar last week and deffo to my liking.

I hoped you enjoyed it, I make a base gravy from onions, oil, carrot, potato, cabbage green a red capsicum, ginger garlic paste, tomatoes, coriander leaf & root, coconut milk plus whole spices. I boil then simmer until everything is soft then blitz it with a hand blender then sieve it. This gets me around 20 litres which I freeze in litre cups. More authentic and far cheaper.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harry Fingerling said:

I hoped you enjoyed it, I make a base gravy from onions, oil, carrot, potato, cabbage green a red capsicum, ginger garlic paste, tomatoes, coriander leaf & root, coconut milk plus whole spices. I boil then simmer until everything is soft then blitz it with a hand blender then sieve it. This gets me around 20 litres which I freeze in litre cups. More authentic and far cheaper.

Struth, how bigs ya pot ?

4 hours ago, zyphodb said:

One of the things I enjoy about cooking here is the need to improvise, keeps your brain working. You'd be amazed at what you can cook with a tabletop oven, one gas hob sitting on top of a gas bottle and a slow cooker for example...

Scones, just out of my 'tabletop' oven .......

IMG_20200705_163434.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Great looking biscuits.

I did English and had a couple with butter and home made raspberry and blackberry jam for tea.

I might do American for breakfast tomorrow and have two with mushroom and onion gravy.

On 7/4/2020 at 3:15 PM, Harry Fingerling said:

I love Indian curry too having lived in India for some years previously. I particularly like British Restaurant curry which accounts for at least four of my meals weekly. There’s plenty of online Indian wholesalers in BKK that will deliver anywhere for a small price.

The curry is good for you . Kurmin one of the ingredients and also others like cinamon. You will not get alziemier disease when you are old. Or inflamation of the fingers. Or pain in knee or shoulders. 

Of course it is not hundred percent fool proof. Most likely it helps.

• Haha 1