Honest Thailand: Cabby returns 100,000 baht to lady who left it on the back seat

webfact

Honest Thailand: Cabby returns 100,000 baht to lady who left it on the back seat

1pm.jpg

Picture:  Daily News

A Bangkok cabby thought of only one thing when he found 100,000 baht on the back seat of his taxi.

I must find the owner and make sure she gets all of it back as soon as possible. 

Suphot Phaethaisong, 68, thought the best way to do this would be to go to the Kukot, Pathum Thani, police. 

They soon contacted Thareerat Narapho, 42, who came to the station for the return of her cash. 

news_FGioWuVHbD222601_533.jpg

She said that she was taking the cab from a mini-mart to Ran Intra with her daughter. The money was cash she had given to her daughter for further study after her graduation. She so much wanted to do a foreign language course abroad.

Her daughter had asked her to look after it for her but she had left it in the cab by mistake. 

As soon as the cab drove off she realised but soon thereafter the police were in touch with her. She said it was heartwarming that there were still so many honest people in Thai society. 

Suphot said the money was not his so why should he keep it. The lady had probably worked very hard to save such a sum. 

He was pictured with Thareerat along with Kukot station chief Pol Col Eknirut Wansiriphak.

He was also pictured by Daily News pointing at his taxi. 

news_ECHzsmUwXY222610_533.jpg

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-03

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Here we go again, wonder how much TAT paid her to come up with this tired old load of BS.:cheesy:

Yup, & the 100k found in the BigC hongnam - or wherever it was, just a few days ago.

All sounds too good to be true.

Honest cabbie indeed...????

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, faraday said:

Yup, & the 100k found in the BigC hongnam - or wherever it was, just a few days ago.

I missed the Big C story.

If it was found in the toilets, surely a case of money laundering?

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

What's it with these Thai's leaving brown envelopes behind in a taxi..

Desperate to go to the toilet for a pony & trap, but too late.

They always say 'a small deposit secures an item'

I do not like these stories because they are never fully transparent with reality.

Almost every time in these cases the do gooder is probably thinking "this person is going to call into the station any minute, if I don't give it back they could figure it all out". 

If there was a case where a cabby somehow knew, 100% there was no connection whatsoever to himself, then I think it would be a good, genuine story. But that never happens. 

The reality is the motivation for these stories is strictly self preservation.  

• Haha 1

Well that's ruined the big come back 

Was all organised for when  when the first Tourists arrive back in Thailand

A honest taxi driver finds wallet or purse  with lots of money in and returns to over whelmed crying with joy happy tourist 

So an unknown passenger leaves the taxi but the police are able to find her straight away !   How ? Can only think that there must have been some paperwork with the money with her details on it. The police wouldn't find her in 20 years if they had to think for themselves

9 hours ago, kotsak said:

Ah.. here we go again, and I was wondering what is missing from the daily news for the past 3-4 months...

you beat me to it.... after all it appears that things are getting to normal (new & old) again

• Like 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

With so many regular news items along these lines, I'd be surprised to meet any taxi passenger in Thailand who doesn't carry, at least, 100,000 baht in cash on their trip. Surprisingly, once they sit in the taxi, they seem to feel the urge to forget and abandon their wallets...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, faraday said:

Watch out for a similar story as soon as next week!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

To any honest taxi drivers out there, I misplaced a bag of cash this morning.

Please return it to me  :welcomeani:

Me too!! Just lost my wallet (see pic) with 500,000 baht in it (in 20- and 50-baht banknotes). Now waiting for the call from the honest Thai cabbie or cop within the hour...

images.jpeg

Seriously, they're still doing this? 

Was a nice breath of fresh air to never be rejected a taxi ride since the pandemic broke out. And to have every taxi driver not be an <deleted> and not talk too much. 

What's the point of playing this theater of "look at us, we're good people"?

I try to stay positive but posters here make it difficult. I am in Thailand by choice and no one made me come here. I don't understand why such negative people stay in Thailand. I know it's much easier to find something negative to say than something positive. I was raised to believe that if you can't find something good to say to be quiet. You can always move on but your constant whining will never improve your situation. 

I bet you never smile at anything either. Very sad for you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/3/2020 at 9:49 AM, checkered flag said:

No need for the regular negativity until you know the facts. I have found most Thais very honest, much more so than those from the isles.

I take it you don't have any in-laws