Power poles

cooked

So we recently replaced the three wooden poles bringing us electricity, one actually fell over when the cables were taken off, about time you might say.

What we didn't do was to replace two others, 1, because of the cost and 2. because they are absolutely inaccessible to any mobile crane.

So is there an alternative to the concrete poles, which I imagine we wouldn't, without a great deal of labour (and trepidation) be able to erect in that narrow space?

Suggestion: use the conduits normally used to lead cables below ground, along the surface of 20 metres of reinforced concrete? Legal?

Or: is there a steel pole that we could find and erect that isn't too heavy? 

Thanks.

Where are those two remaining wooden poles? Can you tell us the pattern of which they are erected?

Between the three that were replaced and the utility side or are those two poles the last one before entering your house/property?

And important, are those poles on your property?

Once when on your property it is up to the owner what to do. Outside, on the public street, conduits are (mostly) not allowed.

17 minutes ago, cooked said:

Or: is there a steel pole that we could find and erect that isn't too heavy? 

Good steel, painted well, preferably H and not [] , in poured concrete base and important use the right insulator mounts.

Keep minimal 25cm distance between the wires.

I'm sure you have thought of this, but we made the power poles on site. We used scaffolding and frames to make the poles. Like they do for houses, but bigger. 

We only used 2 poles as the sparky decided to use conduit, on top of the fence, from the second to third pole.

The top section of the pole was then not finished and wifey decorated the rebar with blue water pipe.

20200703_094210.jpg

20200703_094226.jpg

20200703_094749.jpg

20200703_094409.jpg

20200703_094343.jpg

20200703_094429.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, carlyai said:

I'm sure you have thought of this, but we made the power poles on site. We used scaffolding and frames to make the poles. Like they do for houses, but bigger. 

We only used 2 poles as the sparky decided to use conduit, on top of the fence, from the second to third pole.

The top section of the pole was then not finished and wifey decorated the rebar with blue water pipe.

20200703_094210.jpg

20200703_094226.jpg

20200703_094749.jpg

20200703_094409.jpg

20200703_094343.jpg

20200703_094429.jpg

Scaffolding, now there's an idea my mind didn't get around the idea of not using a ladder.

So possible plan B, 4 x 12mm reinforcing rods in the concrete footing, over which I could place a 20cm diameter PVC pipe, fill with vibrated concrete, taking care to leave holes in the appropriate places.

I hadn't really thought about do-it-yourself solutions...  the idea of a galvanised steel pole of suitable diameter also looks attractive to me.

Thanks guys...

5 hours ago, cooked said:

Scaffolding, now there's an idea my mind didn't get around the idea of not using a ladder.

So possible plan B, 4 x 12mm reinforcing rods in the concrete footing, over which I could place a 20cm diameter PVC pipe, fill with vibrated concrete, taking care to leave holes in the appropriate places.

I hadn't really thought about do-it-yourself solutions...  the idea of a galvanised steel pole of suitable diameter also looks attractive to me.

Thanks guys...

Bit hard to see but pic is scaffolding and metal frame ties used to hold the 2 sections of L shaped lengths of metal frames bolted together. Mixed concrete poured in from the top. Just like they make the house pillars.

20200703_094606.jpg

20200703_094645.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 3:10 PM, cooked said:

Thanks guys...

The cheapest (grade 5) 200mm PVC pipes will cost you at least 1200 baht per 4m length, plus concrete,rebar. The PVC pipes get expensive quickly as you increase the diameter. For the same price you could get a 6m length of 3in galvanized pipe.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MikeN said:

The cheapest (grade 5) 200mm PVC pipes will cost you at least 1200 baht per 4m length, plus concrete,rebar. The PVC pipes get expensive quickly as you increase the diameter. For the same price you could get a 6m length of 3in galvanized pipe.

Yes I realised that, thanks. I fancy that a pipe would be the good solution, I am trying to find out what is needed to attach the isolators to the pole, would be handy to have them fixed before it goes up as the installers would be awkwardly working from a ladder.

3 hours ago, cooked said:

I am trying to find out what is needed to attach the isolators to the pole, would be handy to have them fixed before it goes up as the installers would be awkwardly working from a ladder.

I've seen what you are looking for in Thai Watsadu. Bracket to hold 3 or 4  isolators that can be fixed to an upright pole with all the isolators and bits to go with it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beachcomber said:

I've seen what you are looking for in Thai Watsadu. Bracket to hold 3 or 4  isolators that can be fixed to an upright pole with all the isolators and bits to go with it. 

Yeah, that assembly just bolts through the pole, a couple of long bolts and the job's done.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

This is ours, steel, and PEA, concrete, 

B48E1390-4CBC-4899-965E-E6D32B03C9B0.jpeg.446580fa19b298a728908608effefa1e.jpeg46E11ACD-3768-4081-A4BF-BE8477FF41A3.jpeg.01767f5a545e14357f684b7c7dd7f768.jpeg9E8D15AD-321E-48F4-BF88-27A4DF9BBAAE.jpeg.ecd59d2060a17b4d175f9cb220bebaf6.jpeg

Lovely! Looks doable, I'll have a look next week. 

I can already hear " Nobody do like dat" but dat's the way I'm going to do it.