US man mistreated Thai dogs, says Watchdog Thailand - he countersues for theft

webfact

US man mistreated Thai dogs, says Watchdog Thailand - he countersues for theft

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTYzOS84MTk5OTI2L2RvZy5qcGc=.jpg

The animal welfare group Watchdog Thailand went to the Saraphi police in Chiang Mai after finding 50 Thai Ridgeback dogs in appalling conditions. 

The dogs - stacked in cages on top of each other - were starving hungry, filthy and suffering from conditions like eczema. 

In addition dead dogs had just been left out unburied. 

The owner, aged 73, had called in a foreign volunteer group after he fell sick and was unable to feed the dogs. Then Watchdog got involved with Thai vets and went to the property to remove the animals. 

But trouble broke out after the US owner refused to let them take away five animals that were healthy that he wanted to keep. 

The animals are now in care at a sanctuary in Mae Taeng.

The warring sides ended up at the police station. Watchdog said that the American - who lives alone -  was mistreating the animals and selling them without permission to foreign clients abroad for 10,000 baht to 100,000 baht a time.

They claimed their sources had told them he had abused animals before. 

The American denied all this saying he didn't want the animals to be all taken away - he just needed help with their feeding after an employee left him to do it alone and he fell sick. 

He said he does not sell the animals. He just looks after them. They had started breeding in increasing numbers. 

The reason they were all in cages is that this breed liked to bite each other, he told police.

Now he has countersued Watchdog Thailand for theft of his animals. 

Investigations continue. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-03

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, webfact said:

Watchdog said that the American - who lives alone -  was mistreating the animals and selling them without permission to foreign clients abroad for 10,000 baht to 100,000 baht a time.

When they say 'without permission', I'd have to guess they mean something like an export licence for livestock perhaps?

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The animal welfare group Watchdog Thailand

I have a couple of Thai Ridgeback pups that are turning out to be some great dogs. Since, I am rather ignorant of this breed, I joined a Facebook site that has been a tremendous help. On this site they have a couple of videos about this incident and it is not pretty. Apparently this gentleman is infamous in the Thai Ridgeback community both here in Thailand and America.

dogs mistreated.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, missoura said:

I have a couple of Thai Ridgeback pups that are turning out to be some great dogs. Since, I am rather ignorant of this breed, I joined a Facebook site that has been a tremendous help. On this site they have a couple of videos about this incident and it is not pretty. Apparently this gentleman is infamous in the Thai Ridgeback community both here in Thailand and America.

dogs mistreated.png

Missouri:

I'm looking for a nice Thai Ridgeback puppy for my family. Can you recommend a reputable breeder or kennel? We live in Chiang Rai. 

Thanks,

G. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Totally unacceptable for any animal. 

Hope you don't eat pork or chicken...as these animals are treated far worse than the dogs in this story.

I am glad they took the dogs off him and I hope they get new homes. His story is unbelievable. 

I suspect the authorities got involved because he was selling dogs without work permits or permission, rsther than the way he treated them. But, the outcome is still better for the dogs.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Matzzon said:

What´s clear here is that the American man has a very mistreated brain. Who in their right mind keeps 50 dogs att home, and still breeding them with no intention to sell?

who in their right mind keeps 5 dogs? many round us do then leave them out in the yards all day and never take them out. Thai on SIL nice estate has 30 and no garden to speak of, lots of complaints but he claims it's his right to have as many as he wants!

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 1

Just now, Orton Rd said:

who in their right mind keeps 5 dogs? many round us do then leave them out in the yards all day and never take them out.

Right! Just having 2 dogs is as much work a regular person can and wish to handle.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, colinneil said:

Somebody should stuff that American in a cage that size, see if he likes it.

Animal abuse keeping dogs locked in cages like that.

The smell must have been horrendous, dogs pissing on the dogs below, disgusting.

17 hours ago, Matzzon said:

What´s clear here is that the American man has a very mistreated brain. Who in their right mind keeps 50 dogs att home, and still breeding them with no intention to sell?

The man whether American, Brit or whatever was handicapped and could no longer take care for the large kennel. Apparently he did so and the numbers got out of hand. He did the right thing and asked for help. However 50 dogs are way to much for anyone to have. 

Apparently some like to criticize him for being American but would ignore it if he was a Brit. Hypocrite

Im sure his neighbours are happy--can imagine the smells and barking

How is he able to sell them--illegally??? Immigration may not be happy...

As far as the cages to prevent breeding---cant get them neutered/ spayed?

lastly the internet never forgets --it is forever...karma?

Quite a journey for a pup to make it abroad safely....id track down the people on that list and inform them

• Like 1

22 hours ago, colinneil said:

Somebody should stuff that American in a cage that size, see if he likes it.

Animal abuse keeping dogs locked in cages like that.

The smell must have been horrendous, dogs pissing on the dogs below, disgusting.

Your such a kind old man, but major grumpy and bitter. Did you get out of the wrong side of the bed or something.

BTW today is July 4th, American Independence Day. This was the day that was the beginning of the end to the British Empire. The British nation was once a first tear nation but is no longer. Therefore America and introduction of modern representative democracy did a great service to the entire world. 

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Your such a kind old man, but major grumpy and bitter. Did you get out of the wrong side of the bed or something.

BTW today is July 4th, American Independence Day. This was the day that was the beginning of the end to the British Empire. The British nation was once a first tear nation but is no longer. Therefore America and introduction of modern representative democracy did a great service to the entire world. 

But Colin is quite correct.

Your second paragraph is off topic.

Edited by faraday
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Apparently some like to criticize him for being American but would ignore it if he was a Brit. Hypocrite

Nope, I think the way the British people behaved at Bournemouth beach was disgraceful.

1 hour ago, ChakaKhan said:

Im sure his neighbours are happy--can imagine the smells and barking

How is he able to sell them--illegally??? Immigration may not be happy...

As far as the cages to prevent breeding---cant get them neutered/ spayed?

lastly the internet never forgets --it is forever...karma?

Quite a journey for a pup to make it abroad safely....id track down the people on that list and inform them

This isn't a good situation but the accuracy of reporting might make it worse. I take anything from WebFact as less than accurate and usually go to the source. To be credible sources need to be checked,

• Thanks 1