Now you need rubber gloves when handling Thai veg, study suggests

webfact

3 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I'm happy I'm not a herbivore. Eat Meaaaatttthh, delicious murrrder. Best seasoned with tears of vegans.

Ha ha ha! I think the gloves are only required for those inclined to be handling meat and two veg ????

4 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Tapeworms live in humans' and animals' intestines only, larvae or eggs being excreted with their feces. That tapeworms are actually found on fresh vegetables can only mean one thing: Vegetable farmers are fertilizing their fields with steaming piles of... well, you know what

This is a good time to bring the Cleaning up of Stray Animals , Dogs/cats/ Chickens. There Millions of Strays doing their Bit to Foul up the Whole country and the farmers grow their crops in it. 

It's well known not to use Human/Pig/Dog/Cat/Chicken Manure in a Veg Garden For Human consumption Unless it Has been properly Treated (composted) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, playyer said:

Btw i pulled one out of my dogs ass the other day. It was prob 20 cms long accompanied with a bit of blood. Nasty......

Which begs the question, what were you doing in there?

• Haha 1

In the early part of the last century in America, you could purchase magic pills, guaranteed to make you lose weight.  The pills had an ingredient that was actually effective -- tapeworm eggs.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JCP108 said:

Pig <deleted> is used as fertilizer in Thailand. In Thailand, tapeworms live in humans and pigs (in the meat and feces). In the West, tapeworms have mostly been eradicated from pigs and humans. The eggs and worms also get onto vegetables when infected people handle them after not washing their hands when they go to the bathroom. 

Tapeworms are transmitted from Pig, Cow and fish from eating raw of under cooked meat. Although feces can transmit some infections tapeworms are not transmitted that way.

Bacteria infections are another issue. In the US we have had several outbreaks from E,Coli in strawberry and other field crops, traced to Mexican farm laborers. Unlike China Thailand doesn't routinely use night soil as fertilizer and is much safer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

should have filmed it, sounds like a classic..

If it was a roundworm it's most likely Toxicara canis. If it were a three segmented tapeworm it would most likely be H. nana. Neither are likely to infect humans.

4 hours ago, playyer said:

Btw i pulled one out of my dogs ass the other day. It was prob 20 cms long accompanied with a bit of blood. Nasty......

Is this a new thing now in Pattaya?

1 hour ago, checkered flag said:

Tapeworms are transmitted from Pig, Cow and fish from eating raw of under cooked meat. Although feces can transmit some infections tapeworms are not transmitted that way.

Bacteria infections are another issue. In the US we have had several outbreaks from E,Coli in strawberry and other field crops, traced to Mexican farm laborers. Unlike China Thailand doesn't routinely use night soil as fertilizer and is much safer.

"It is also possible to contract pork tapeworms from foods prepared by an infected person. Because tapeworm eggs are passed with bowel movements, a person who doesn't wash hands well after wiping and then prepares food can contaminate the food."

https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/tapeworms-in-humans#1

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

"It is also possible to contract pork tapeworms from foods prepared by an infected person. Because tapeworm eggs are passed with bowel movements, a person who doesn't wash hands well after wiping and then prepares food can contaminate the food."

https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/tapeworms-in-humans#1

Thank goodness for the bum gun...................

Fertalizing the fields with sh... was very common when I was a kid. The smell we disgusting when farmers pulled the tanks full of liquid animal sh... with their tracktor back and forward on the fields..

But nobody was talking about tapeworms in those days, related to this practice. However, the farmers' kids at school were easy to point out, they had this destinctive odor...

According to the original article in dailynews, the survey was done last year (2019) in nakornsrithammarat, not nationwide. And it was hookworms rather than tapeworms that were the major culprit. There was no mention of tapeworms at all in the original article. Thaivisa news mistranslated it.

I believe veggies sold in reputable supermarkets are safe, but rinsing in still required just to be on the safe side.

• Like 2

Went to Korat yesterday to deliver a car for someone. On the way back today I jumped in to The Mall/Gourmet Market and there they had signs saying "Use gloves when handling vegetables" (or something in that nature). I didn't really think anything about it other than I had never seen it anywhere in Thailand before. 

8 hours ago, macleans said:

According to the original article in dailynews, the survey was done last year (2019) in nakornsrithammarat, not nationwide. And it was hookworms rather than tapeworms that were the major culprit. There was no mention of tapeworms at all in the original article. Thaivisa news mistranslated it.

I believe veggies sold in reputable supermarkets are safe, but rinsing in still required just to be on the safe side.

"Hookworms" don't sound fun, either.

9 hours ago, macleans said:

Hookworms are transmitted by skin contact with infected soil, most commonly through bare feed. It a real problem world wide. The hookworm larva develop in soil (damp sandy soil usually) and penetrate bare skin. I suppose you could contact it by handling vegetables that were covered with dirt (not likely). 

Hookworm is a common problem with Thai children who go barefoot.

10 hours ago, macleans said:

According to the original article in dailynews, the survey was done last year (.2019) in nakornsrithammarat, not nationwide. And it was hookworms rather than tapeworms that were the major culprit. There was no mention of tapeworms at all in the original article. Thaivisa news mistranslated it.

TV and Web Facts are not scientific or medical authorities. They should vent there news through reliable sources. 

18 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I'm happy I'm not a herbivore. Eat Meaaaatttthh, delicious murrrder. Best seasoned with tears of vegans.

So you seriously consider your dietary preferences a militant action? Sad. 

On 7/3/2020 at 1:07 PM, Misterwhisper said:

Either that or the market vendors themselves are tapeworm carriers and contaminate the produce by never properly washing up after toilet visits. As if we hadn't known all alon

Hence my avoidance of street food  vendors altogether.

I do a headslap when ever I see someone;

- wash the entire lettuce as a whole; and then knife-slice a portion off of it!

- now imagine how many half-worms half-snails are in your meal?

yeah, go for it with soak/washing it whole...

- but then simply break of a desired number of whole leaves, and then individually wash agsain

• Sad 1

On 7/3/2020 at 1:07 PM, Misterwhisper said:

Is there nothing safe to eat anymore in this country? 

Yes, The bearded clam and smooth clam are still on the menu here.

when cleaned and presented correctly , they are most scrumptious. :jap: