attempt to renew 5 year driving licence

Downloaded the DLT Smart Queue App to get a queue number before attending DLT Banglamung area to make renewal easier. The app does not allow login when tapping on 'enter Passport Number'. It works for Thai citizen ID. So cannot get a Queue number. I understand that at Chonburi Immigration in Jomtien, they will no longer issue the standard required Residency Certificate to take to the DLT unless i provide my Queue Number. So its a catch 22 situation . So cannot renew my 5 year licence. Has anyone experienced this same recent problem ? I have tried to ring Chonburi Immigration but phone not answered. Tried calling Rayong DLT, as i live in Sattahip and thought it might be closer. Message says phone number no longer valid. My Thai Partner rang DLT office Banglamung and was rudely told that I must sort it out with Immigration...not their problem !!

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, jingjo01 said:

to get a queue number before attending DLT Banglamung

I would try  using the "dumb foreigner" ploy  just turn up at the DLT early and get a queue number the old fashioned way...I believe they are prioritising  those with app appointments but  you still may get lucky  on the day you turn up...as for  "residence" certificate   you can try  "opening a new bank account" or

"buying a vehicle" as the reason for them to issue one.

Someone on here suggested that the DLT in Siracha  was better  either for  changing vehicle details or issuing driving licences but can't remember witch was which ????

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jingjo01 said:

Downloaded the DLT Smart Queue App to get a queue number before attending DLT Banglamung area to make renewal easier. The app does not allow login when tapping on 'enter Passport Number'. It works for Thai citizen ID. So cannot get a Queue number. I understand that at Chonburi Immigration in Jomtien, they will no longer issue the standard required Residency Certificate to take to the DLT unless i provide my Queue Number. So its a catch 22 situation . So cannot renew my 5 year licence. Has anyone experienced this same recent problem ? I have tried to ring Chonburi Immigration but phone not answered. Tried calling Rayong DLT, as i live in Sattahip and thought it might be closer. Message says phone number no longer valid. My Thai Partner rang DLT office Banglamung and was rudely told that I must sort it out with Immigration...not their problem !!

Apparently Jomtien Immigration is not requiring a DLT queue number to get the residence certificate.  The person with the Pattaya City Expats Club that assists folks in getting Thai driving licenses originally mentioned this to me, which I passed on to my friend Jingio.  I received the following message last evening and have since passed it on to Jingio:

I have some fresh news from a person who renewed his licence today.
Pre booking is compulsory. This can be done on the LTD web-site or you go to the LTD office and make an appointment..
For foreigners : They accept 20 persons a day and make two group of 10 . On group 10AM and one 02.00 PM.
The story, that immigration is not issuing a resident certificate without a booking is not correct.

I have asked him if he has the URL for the LTD (Land Transport Department) website where one can book an appointment and whether it also has English.  Not sure if he has it, but as my request was recent, he hasn't had time to respond to me.

DLT App does not work for falang I was told....at my local DLT. So my wife and I went to the Local DLT on the 1st day of opening. ( Hundreds queuing outside) my wife slips straight in and pleads with an official I came in the back door he checked my paper work ( yellow book, med cert, copy of visa and pp.

Went to the 1st floor did the colour test, go stop test and one other test not sure what it was but passed.

Watched a video for 20 minutes. Went back down paid for my 2 licences, pictures processed and out out the door after one hour. Oh one other thing they said next time have a pink ID card .... 

2 hours ago, soisanuk said:

Apparently Jomtien Immigration is not requiring a DLT queue number to get the residence certificate.  The person with the Pattaya City Expats Club that assists folks in getting Thai driving licenses originally mentioned this to me, which I passed on to my friend Jingio.  I received the following message last evening and have since passed it on to Jingio:

I have asked him if he has the URL for the LTD (Land Transport Department) website where one can book an appointment and whether it also has English.  Not sure if he has it, but as my request was recent, he hasn't had time to respond to me.

Here's the link, it works best in Chrome as Chrome will translate into English for you.
https://dlt-elearning.com/#

1 hour ago, bronzedude said:

How much dol they charge at Jomtien for the resident certificate and do you need 2 for both a motorbike and a car license? or can you just make a copy and use that for the second license. Thanks

Used to be 300 baht for 1 and you could use a copy with it when renewing or applying for 2 licences at Pattaya DLT. 

21 hours ago, jingjo01 said:

Downloaded the DLT Smart Queue App to get a queue number before attending DLT Banglamung area to make renewal easier.

It may be worthwhile having a read of this thread -

21 hours ago, johng said:

I would try  using the "dumb foreigner" ploy  just turn up at the DLT early and get a queue number the old fashioned way...I believe they are prioritising  those with app appointments but  you still may get lucky  on the day you turn up...as for  "residence" certificate   you can try  "opening a new bank account" or

"buying a vehicle" as the reason for them to issue one.

Someone on here suggested that the DLT in Siracha  was better  either for  changing vehicle details or issuing driving licences but can't remember witch was which ????

This is exactly what i did 3 hr. trip to my DLT, i knew nothing about an app., my wife rang before "yes come" gave all my docs ( i have yellow book) "All OK they are genuine now come back next week put your name in the book date and time was given and a Que number. Immigration will give a Res Cert for renewing a DL. I chose a different office this time, reason yellow book not excepted must have Res Cert as they still go on a 20yr old document You can trust Thailand init .

Also i did not need a med cert. 2nd time 5yr DL.  

Edited by brianthainess
add info

If you have a yellow book use the 13 digit ID number assigned to you. Which is the same number as your pink I'd card. Both these numbers are on my Thai driving license.  They still require a copy of your passport and visa for their records only.

Your address is confirmed by the 2 previously mentioned documents 

It is however in Bahn nong nowhere in the boonies. Still very welcoming and friendly and extremely helpful in whatever I try and do in any government department 

Edited by maprao

3 hours ago, bronzedude said:

How much dol they charge at Jomtien for the resident certificate and do you need 2 for both a motorbike and a car license? or can you just make a copy and use that for the second license. Thanks

Yes, one needed for each license. Must be originals with photo and stamp. 

I just did it at Huahin IO a few months ago. 

Don't forget the doctor's health exam report.

I don't remember for sure but believe two originals of that are needed too. Basically you are submitting the required documents for each license as separate transactions. 

5 hours ago, JustinCredible said:

This is just what I did at Khon Kaen 2 days ago. When we telephoned them last week to say that I could not enter passpost number they said to wait until 1st July and then try again and get a queue number. I still could not access the site so we went to the DLT offices. They just put me through the reaction and colour tests, sat me in a room to watch the video (alone) and then took me back to the main area after about 20 minutes of the video (instead of the full hour). Got called to the main desk, paid the 555Bt. and had phot taken. Two minutes later license was handed to me (6 years as my last one expired on my birthday in May).

Total time from arrival to departure - 1 hour 25 minutes.

And where is DLT in KK? Damn DLT site is all in Thai. 

Did you have Residency Cert?  Tried to get 1 at KK Immi and they told me to go and get a form to request a Res Cert/ Talk about convoluted process???

Did you have Med Cert?

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

This is exactly what i did 3 hr. trip to my DLT, i knew nothing about an app., my wife rang before "yes come" gave all my docs ( i have yellow book) "All OK they are genuine now come back next week put your name in the book date and time was given and a Que number. Immigration will give a Res Cert for renewing a DL. I chose a different office this time, reason yellow book not excepted must have Res Cert as they still go on a 20yr old document You can trust Thailand init .

Also i did not need a med cert. 2nd time 5yr DL.  

I never needed the Res Cert when I showed them my yellow book to renew my DL.

On 7/4/2020 at 10:44 AM, topt said:

Used to be 300 baht for 1 and you could use a copy with it when renewing or applying for 2 licences at Pattaya DLT. 

As far as I know it is still 300 baht and Banglamung DLT Office will accept original for one license and a photocopy for the other if applying for both motorcycle & auto.  But, if you note on your application for the residency certificate that you are wanting it for both (place on application to check mc and/or auto), Jomtien Immigration will tell you you need two originals and charge fee accordingly.

Also, if getting 5 year license from 2 year license, a medical certificate is required.  But for renewal of the 5 year license, it has not been required. 

Has anyone recently applied for renewal of 5 year license and been required to have a medical certificate?

On 7/3/2020 at 7:10 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Thailand I’m often surprised how difficult things I expect to be simple are and how simple things I expect to be difficult are. This could be one of those situations where taking a slight bureaucratic ‘side step’ helps you achieve your goal. 

You got that right! Me too. I reckon the "should be easy but isn't" wins though!????

1 hour ago, soisanuk said:

As far as I know it is still 300 baht and Banglamung DLT Office will accept original for one license and a photocopy for the other if applying for both motorcycle & auto.  But, if you note on your application for the residency certificate that you are wanting it for both (place on application to check mc and/or auto), Jomtien Immigration will tell you you need two originals and charge fee accordingly.

Also, if getting 5 year license from 2 year license, a medical certificate is required.  But for renewal of the 5 year license, it has not been required. 

Has anyone recently applied for renewal of 5 year license and been required to have a medical certificate?

According to my wife, she went to DLT at Bang Chak last Thursday, and you do need again a medical certificate. this is what is required.

S__15827571.jpg

9 hours ago, dsj said:

According to my wife, she went to DLT at Bang Chak last Thursday, and you do need again a medical certificate. this is what is required.

S__15827571.jpg

Thank you for posting this, very helpful.

20 hours ago, dsj said:

S__15827571.jpg

Although the heading says "new" and "renew" it appears item 4 would be necessary only for new whereas previous Thai license would be needed for renewal.  Likewise, item 3 re Medical Certificate could also be only for a new 2 year & 5 year license. 

the OP was about obtaining renewing his 5 year license and getting a residence certificate from Pattaya Immigration. My post relates to the Banglamung DLT which serves Pattaya area. Thus requirements might be different at other DLT Offices, but my guess, as mentioned, is that items 3 & 4 on the listing most likely apply only to new 2 & 5 year licenses.

The Pattaya City Expats Club, based on reports from their members and their member that provides driving license assistance trips, has a listing of documents Banglamung DLT requires (http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/thai license Checklist.pdf). Their listing notes that for a medical certificate, it is only required for the 2 year license and the first 5 year license. They do not require it for renewing the 5 year license (I have renewed my 5 year license there twice and no medical certificate was required for the renewals). Also, Banglamung does not "require" an IDP (item #4), but if you have one when applying for your first (2 year) license, they do not require a written or practical driving test. For the first 5 year license and subsequent renewals, they require your previous Thai driving license.

• Thanks 1

What a shock. I just read that if you renew it after it is expired you have to make the written and driving test again. At least at Banglamung. 

Can anyone confirm this? Are they open already? 

Edited by Oldie

20 minutes ago, Oldie said:

What a shock. I just read that if you renew it after it is expired you have to make the written and driving test again. At least at Banglamung. 

Where did you read that?

It has been common knowledge that you can ‘renew’ your 5 year licence without having to do the written and driven test for up to 1 year after expiry.

Have things changed?

Edited by richard_smith237

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Where did you read that?

It has been common knowledge that you can ‘renew’ your 5 year licence without having to do the written and driven test for up to 1 year after expiry.

Have things changed?

"RENEWAL: You can apply for renewal of the 5 year license for another 5 years up to to 3 
months before its expiration date. If the license is expired, a both written and driving test will be 
required at Banglaung LTO – this is recent change in policy apparently because many were 
deliberately waiting til their license expired, then applying for a new one because it would expire 
on their birth date occurring almost 6 years later."

It is written here 

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/thai license Checklist.pdf