attempt to renew 5 year driving licence

15 hours ago, Oldie said:

What a shock. I just read that if you renew it after it is expired you have to make the written and driving test again. At least at Banglamung. 

Can anyone confirm this? Are they open already? 

This was an advisory from the person who provides driving license assistance for members of the Pattaya City Expats Club a few months prior to the COVID shutdown notwithstanding the official rules that a written test was required if the license was expired for more than one year and both it and the practical driving test if expired more than 3 years.  The apparent reason for Banglamung's action was apparently because they felt too many people were deliberately waiting for their license to expire which occurs on their birthday. By going in after their birthday, even by a few days, their renewed license  would expire on their birthday occurring almost 6 years later. 

However, because of the COVID shutdown, the DLT published new rules regarding expired licenses.  No tests provided the license is renewed before September 30, 2020. However, the way it is worded it appears the expiration date for past due one year or past due three year would have have occurred after  March 31, 2020 - a bit confusing. Here is link to article re no written or driving tests until end of September: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30390678.

Also, based on a recent report by the PCEC's driving license assistance person, Banglamung is limiting foreigner to 20 daily with 10 in the morning and 10 in the afternoon.  Further all must have booked a slot in advance.  Although there is an App for smart phones for this purpose, it apparently is not functioning for foreigners, i.e., put in your passport number as requested and it does nothing. I had my Thai partner check it by putting in Thai ID number and it proceeded on to the booking screen. My partner didn't book then, but will soon (car & MC licenses expired in February 2018 an we didn't notice until recently during the lock  down).  So, since the one year period was before March 31, 2020 - we will find out if the written test will still have to be done or whether the new rules apply. 

As to foreigner booking, based on a recent report, one can go to the Banglamung DLT in person and book a slot for the future (who knows, maybe one could get lucky and they will have a slot for the day of the visit).

• Thanks 1