Wife repatriation from the UK to Thailand

fezza

Hi Everyone,

My Thai wife is currently staying with us in the UK on a visitor visa.  We all flew over at Xmas to give living in the UK a try for 6 months before deciding whether we'd apply for her settlement visa.

Her visa expired on the 1st of June, but the UK Government extended it until the 31st of July.   We were hoping they'd extend it again for a couple of months so we could all fly back together in Aug/Sep - but it doesn't look like this will happen.  A friend just tried to have his wife's UK visa extended and they have refused to extend it beyond 31st of July.  So looks like this is the cut off point for UK extensions.

It looks like I must get her back this month as we don't want an overstay on her UK visit as we'll be applying for a settlement visa on her return.

I contacted KLM and there are flights back each day from Manchester->Amsterdam->Bangkok.  They told me there was no documentation needed for her to get on the plane, she would just need to sign a self-certification waiver to say she doesn't have COVID and wear a face mask.

I'm just wondering if I should put her on the plane and hope for the best...  ????   Would she still need a certificate of entry to enter Thailand?   How about the cert to fly?  Is that just to board the plane?

Trying to get through to the Thai embassy in the UK is a nightmare, I'm going to try again today.

Many thanks,
Fezza

I'd double check the KLM flights if I were you.  I just had a look on their website and there is nothing to book from AMS (or MAN) to BKK until 1 September.  They certainly do fly planes into BKK as there are daily flights back to AMS, but the inbound flights are most likely full of cheese, not people.

I've just checked and for some reason now they're only showing from September onwards.

Anyway, no issue, I can put her on an Emirates flight from Manchester to Bangkok on 31st of July when her visa expires.

Edited by fezza

58 minutes ago, fezza said:

I've just checked and for some reason now they're only showing from September onwards.

Anyway, no issue, I can put her on an Emirates flight from Manchester to Bangkok on 31st of July when her visa expires.

you need to coordinate all travel through the Thai embassy otherwise she will be denied entry on arrival in Thailand

Don't book any flights until embassy advises okay

I would double check what she needs in terms of documentation to arrive in Thailand. I am seeing a lot more than you have laid out..

Following information is required by Thai Nationals returning to Thailand:

• Passengers needs to present a health certification confirming the passenger is fit to fly.
  • Passengers needs to present a letter issued by Royal Thai Embassy, Thai Consular Office or Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kingdom of Thailand certifying that the passenger is Thai national returning to Thailand.
  • Proceed to follow the recommendations of the Thai Department of Disease Controls on arrival.

At the moment there are no passenger flights TO Thailand at all. All Thai nationals returning to Thailand are coming with special flights that are booked and sold only through the Thai embassy at the point of departure. 

According to latest information regarding return of non Thai nationals - if allowed entry they too will have to come on a special flight. 

The reason for no commercial passenger flights into Thailand is the limit of 500 passengers per day. Once this limit lifted normal flights will resume

16 hours ago, vinny41 said:

you need to coordinate all travel through the Thai embassy otherwise she will be denied entry on arrival in Thailand

How can a Citizen be denied entry to their own country,i think you have that wrong!

She would be tested/quarantined on arrival,but not denied entry.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

At the moment there are no passenger flights TO Thailand at all. All Thai nationals returning to Thailand are coming with special flights that are booked and sold only through the Thai embassy at the point of departure. 

According to latest information regarding return of non Thai nationals - if allowed entry they too will have to come on a special flight. 

The reason for no commercial passenger flights into Thailand is the limit of 500 passengers per day. Once this limit lifted normal flights will resume

Who's coming in from Doha, Tehran, Paris, Taipei, Kuala Lumpur, Seoul, Kuwait, Hanoi, Muscat, Xiamen, Singapore, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Dhaka, Zurich, Tokyo, Shanghai, and Kolkota today then ?

ASQ hotels are already quarantining foreigners who’ve recently arrived.

I have a flight booked in less than 2 weeks (if the Certificate of Entry is granted in time).

Edited by richard_smith237

13 minutes ago, Jimbo53 said:
16 hours ago, vinny41 said:

How can a Citizen be denied entry to their own country,i think you have that wrong!

Some Thai’s have been denied boarding without the approval from the Thai Embassy.

Any travel to Thailand at the moment, Thai or Foreign require approval to enter Thailand, which ultimately means no boarding of a flight without that approval document. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Who's coming in from Doha, Tehran, Paris, Taipei, Kuala Lumpur, Seoul, Kuwait, Hanoi, Muscat, Xiamen, Singapore, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Dhaka, Zurich, Tokyo, Shanghai, and Kolkota today then ?

I've been checking live reservation systems for the past month looking for flights into Thailand. In June there were many flights showing availability for July, but around the middle of June all those flights were taken off system. Now the system shows incoming for August, but those are likely to be cancelled as well if they keep a daily limit on entering passengers

20 hours ago, fezza said:

You do know about the mandatory 14 days quarantine for your wife/gf on arrival? 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Some Thai’s have been denied boarding without the approval from the Thai Embassy.

Any travel to Thailand at the moment, Thai or Foreign require approval to enter Thailand, which ultimately means no boarding of a flight without that approval document. 

It's because you have to accept the rules and the 14-days quarantine on arrival. The Certificate of Entry for a Thai national is really easy to get compared to a foreigner. But they have to drag their a***s to the embassy. 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:
3 hours ago, Jimbo53 said:
19 hours ago, vinny41 said:

You're right but it was being pointed out that a Thai citizen cannot be denied entry to Thailand, there may be conditions, such as quarantine on arrival attached, but, if they are allowed to board a plane, they cannot be denied entry to their own country here.

Edited by Bob A Kneale

25 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

You're right but it was being pointed out that a Thai citizen cannot be denied entry to Thailand, there may be conditions, such as quarantine on arrival attached, but, if they are allowed to board a plane, they cannot be denied entry to their own country here.

It was on a goverment website that stated if a passenger doesn't have the correct paperwork they will not be allowed to disembark from the plane, in theory they shouldn't be allowed on the plane in the 1st place but some airlines are cash strapped and are just interested in taking your money, for them its not their problem if you don't have the correct paperwork to gain entry or not

Here’s some good advice from the Thai Embassy in Turkey about buying plane tickets before the flight ban to #Thailand is lifted. DON’T DO IT! Just because airlines are selling tickets for July, it doesn’t mean they will be allowed to land in Thailand. They just want your money.

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1276397566746214401

We're in a similar position except we've yet to marry. Visitors Visas for China and Taiwan were auto extended in Jan until end March, then all Visitors Visas from March to May and again May to July. We've return tickets with BA who don't look as though they will be doi g much until September. I am hoping that another auto extension until end of September is on the cards. 

I think everything has to be done via the Embassy. My Thai wife and her daughter, due to go back in April have been registered for a repatriation flight since mid- May.  Have just been confirmed places on an Eva flight Heathrow to BKK on 19 July.  Extortionate price £708, and we have to go down to the embassy on 17 July for a Fit to Fly cert.  They are arranging the 14 day quarantine at no cost to the girls.  An expensive solution for me but maybe I’ll get the cost of their cancelled flights from Emirates.  Hopefully I’ll be able to go and be with them later in the year !

1 hour ago, AlbionBob said:

I think everything has to be done via the Embassy. My Thai wife and her daughter, due to go back in April have been registered for a repatriation flight since mid- May.  Have just been confirmed places on an Eva flight Heathrow to BKK on 19 July.  Extortionate price £708, and we have to go down to the embassy on 17 July for a Fit to Fly cert.  They are arranging the 14 day quarantine at no cost to the girls.  An expensive solution for me but maybe I’ll get the cost of their cancelled flights from Emirates.  Hopefully I’ll be able to go and be with them later in the year !

If they have used half of the ticket with Emirates, such as outbound to the UK, you will be lucky to get a refund for the unused inbound portion.

They may give a voucher or just airport taxes. Airlines are cash strapped and trying every trick in the book to avoid returning cash, that includes Middle Eastern ones.

I have had a similar experience with Qatar, and have opted for flying credit vouchers.

I was told the above information by them regarding myself.

A lousy predicament and an expensive one, but good luck.

I think if you enquire from the "Leave to remain" office of the Home Office in the UK you will find that your wife's visa will be extended automatically due to the Covid 19 pandemic.  In Thailand for example foreigners' visas have been automatically extended for that reason.

8 hours ago, vinny41 said:
9 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

It was on a goverment website that stated if a passenger doesn't have the correct paperwork they will not be allowed to disembark from the plane, in theory they shouldn't be allowed on the plane in the 1st place

Thai citizens will not be denied entry to their own country here, they cannot be, under international law.

On 7/3/2020 at 8:08 AM, fezza said:

I'm just wondering if I should put her on the plane and hope for the best...  ????   Would she still need a certificate of entry to enter Thailand?   How about the cert to fly?  Is that just to board the plane?

Don't even think about doing that - no matter what the airline tell you.  I've just spent 2 days fighting with the Thai Embassy in London about this. Your wife needs to apply for permission to fly and when its her turn she will be given a date and instructions on how to book the flight - which has to be done through the Embassy.

The flight will be on EVA or possibly Thai (I wouldn't trust the latter) - I have no idea of the cost but expect it to be more expensive than you would pay booking it online.  The flights are not actually chartered repatriation flights - there will be other passengers on board going further. Its a standard commercially available flight which can be booked online. The problem is they won't let you use any ticket you buy online - they insist you buy it from them.

There's about 3000 Thai's on the waiting list and they only had 2 flights in June so I think you'd better have another word with the UK Immigration - she'll be a while yet

I was trying to get my wife here Thailand and they refuse point blank to let me book a return flight. They said that if I book it, they won't let my wife use the return portion - even though EVA told me they'd change the return potion to any date the Thai embassy gave, free of charge for up to 12 months. The crazy part is that the flight the embassy book is exactly the same one available online.

I presume you know your wife will have to do 2 weeks quarantine when she get's back?

Your first step is to contact the Thai Embassy. The instructions to register for repatriation are here (Thai language):

https://forms.gle/95uBdq1Y7ojeue7g9

From the embassy's e-mail:

Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you for your inquiry about Eva ticket.  If your wife has already registered with us for repatriation flight and her turn comes, she needs to pay for a single ticket.  For her previous ticket, contact eva for refund or credit.  

Best regards
Consular Officer,
Royal Thai Embassy, London
29-30 Queen's Gate 
London
SW7 5JB
Tel: 02072255500

Edited by KhaoYai

On 7/4/2020 at 8:28 AM, Jimbo53 said:

It is what it is. For a while even Thai nationals were not allowed back. Now their return is co ordinated and limited by the Thai Embassies where the national is. It's also the Embassy which co ordinates the return of limited categories of foreigners such as married to a Thai with even more onerous preconditions plus quarantining on arrival in Thailand. I believe quarantining has to be paid for by the traveller too. It still isn't at all easy and may not change for some time.