More than 1,700 medical tourists arriving this month

webfact

28 minutes ago, Oxx said:

No, not retarded, they are sick and quite probably desperate.  Most of them are coming from countries with a very poor medical infrastructure.

And you think that these desperate people from poor countries can foot the kind of bill Thailand has in store for them? 

They don't plan to send medical tourists at the amphoe public hospital. 

What they have in mind is probably more like a 2 week stay at Chiva-som in Hua Hin, or something similar... 

20 hours ago, bluesofa said:

They haven't mentioned the full frontal lobotomy, which they will obviously need in order to comply with the medical tourist visa requirement.

You can't jump through all the hoops. Need a doc in your country to confirm that e.g. Switzerland or where u come from cannot do the treatment/procedure. Needs inpatient treatment.

Saudi arabia is still experiencing 3000+ cases per day. Kuwait isnt far behind.

The Government is so mixed up about getting money into the country and what sector of tourism is going to bring in much needed cash. There seems to be a lot of confusion and direction in the Goernment right now.

9 hours ago, Peabody said:

I have a note from a major BKK hospital that I need to follow up ("short treatment") on my recent total hip replacement surgery. I don't need to be in the hospital for 14 days and would be perfectly willing to do normal ASQ... but ASQ sounds like it will only be available for people receiving long-term hospital services.

Guess I need to contact my local Thai Embassy for further muddyfication.

Contact the hospital, they will know and be better able to advise than the Embassy. And most will handle all the paperwork for you.

However you will have to stay in hospital (or hospital followed by a "quarantine" hotel linked to the hospital, many of them have set this up already) for the full 14 days, there is no getting around that nor the need for COVID tests: one before you travel, one on arrival and a third on day 13.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, reallyaffiliated said:

Bangkok post said as follows:

"After the 14-day period, tours can be arranged for them to visit anywhere in Thailand," he said.

hope this is true... 

Just called the embassy they told me to talk to a hospital and checkout their packages and then to contact the embassy again and they could arrange it for me. He couldn't tell me anything that would happen after the 2 weeks quarantine simply because Thailand did not tell the embassies anything yet.

I'm contemplating the medical route. What worries me is that I may be told the final test is positive just to keep me longer. I learnt to be suspicious when it comes to doctors, not just in TH. There is such a post on Tripadvisor. The guy went to Bumrungrad and got treated for C19 for an extended period because the test was pos. He found out later he was never pos.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, miamiman123 said:

Who or what group us arranging these medical visits to Thailand ??

no mention of who or what people are involved in this 

There is a full breakdown by nationality in the OP.

The secret is to read the thing before you comment. Then you don't look 'misinformed.'

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, coastguard said:

Won't these medical exceptions  be a risk  to giving the virus to all the hospital employees? 

And what about all the hotel and food service personnel in the quarantine facilities? 

I'm quite sure precautions are in place.

4 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Myanmar and Laos accounting for more than half of these "medical tourists"???

There is something fishy here...

Nothing fishy about it. The hospitals in Thailand are way better than in their own countries, so if they can afford it they go to Thailand.

If you went to for example Bangkok Hospital in Udon Thani before Covid, there were always many people from Laos.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Medical tourists will be tested three times for Covid-19: before departing for Thailand, on arrival, and before returning home

if you test neg before departing and on arrival but then pos' before returning home .. what happens then .. can I claim compo' .?

23 hours ago, webfact said:

, herbal products

What ganja .? 

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Nothing fishy about it. The hospitals in Thailand are way better than in their own countries, so if they can afford it they go to Thailand.

If you went to for example Bangkok Hospital in Udon Thani before Covid, there were always many people from Laos.

Agree, but I am not sure this is what the Thai government has in mind (someone crossing from Laos to be treated in Udon Thani hospital) when it comes to medical tourism... 

3 hours ago, Letseng said:

Acc to London embassy website you require a letter from a doctor in your country to say that the treatment can't be done in your home country and you need to get it done in TH. Ok if you come from Middle East.

This seems to be true according to this graphic.

"Certificate of medical institutional from leaving country"

EcDZrTKUYAASNP9.jpg

3 hours ago, Letseng said:

Acc to London embassy website you require a letter from a doctor in your country to say that the treatment can't be done in your home country and you need to get it done in TH. Ok if you come from Middle East.

Again - contact the hospital. They can and will take care of the paperwork.

I believe the London website is out of date, i.e. prior to the new rules and harking back to when only emergency humanitarian exceptions were allowed in.

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

Agree, but I am not sure this is what the Thai government has in mind (someone crossing from Laos to be treated in Udon Thani hospital) when it comes to medical tourism... 

Why not? Bangkok hospitsl udon is a private for profit hospital that gets good income from Lao patients (and others but the Lao ate a big chunk). It is one of the hospitals in the scheme.

1 hour ago, Berti said:

It's a fascinating case of schizophrenia.

They want money from foreigners, but at the same time introduce many hurdles to come in.

It's not schizophrenia. They want the rich customers first and the cheap charlies later. 

I'm in Thailand last not least for medical reasons, to relief me from arthrosis. Which works perfectly. 

But the hurdles are high, as you state. In my case they're imposed by the German health insurance system though - not by Thailand. 

9 minutes ago, micmichd said:

It's not schizophrenia. They want the rich customers first and the cheap charlies later. 

If I would be rich and would want to get an expensive heart surgery in Thailand, I need a certificate that this surgery is not possible in my home country.

So they want my money, but they don't let me in.

Strange and schizo..

2 minutes ago, Berti said:

If I would be rich and would want to get an expensive heart surgery in Thailand, I need a certificate that this surgery is not possible in my home country.

So they want my money, but they don't let me in.

Strange and schizo..

Once again : Thailand would let you in if you're a private patient. Just your Farang doctor would have it hard to issue a certificate stating the surgery can't be done in your home country. Best ask your Farang doctor for a cost estimate, then get a Thai counter cost estimate, and then ask your private health insurance which one they'd prefer to pay.

There are websites where you can count the cost estimates for different countries. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, micmichd said:

Once again : Thailand would let you in if you're a private patient. Just your Farang doctor would have it hard to issue a certificate stating the surgery can't be done in your home country. Best ask your Farang doctor for a cost estimate, then get a Thai counter cost estimate, and then ask your private health insurance which one they'd prefer to pay.

There are websites where you can count the cost estimates for different countries. 

Again, this is old information from back when only exceptional cases were allowed in on humanitarian grounds. The new rules as of July 1 are aimed not at such emergencies but at medical tourism. Nothing in the new requirements limits entry to people who can't get care in their home countries.

I have done detailed investigations into getting a foreign patient here. The private hospital international departments can handle it and at no point is any sort of certificate like this needed.

That said, there are certainly a bunch of hoops and additional costs now involved compared to in the past.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Again, this is old information from back when only exceptional cases were allowed in on humanitarian grounds. The new rules as of July 1 are aimed not at such emergencies but at medical tourism. Nothing in the new requirements limits entry to people who can't get care in their home countries.

I have done detailed investigations into getting a foreign patient here. The private hospital international departments can handle it and at no point is any sort of certificate like this needed.

That said, there are certainly a bunch of hoops and additional costs now involved compared to in the past.

Sure, there's always been medical tourism in Thailand. It was just easier before to get a tourist visa. 

The mentioning of the cost comparison portals was just a hint for those who usually have no idea how expensive medical treatment in the West is. 

Edited by micmichd