Would getting onto an education visa be doable now?

No one knows and so on, I know the drill... 

What I do know is that I both have a work permit based on my own company here AND a considerable amount of time until my income through that returns after all of this...

Would it be realistic for me to give back the work permit, resign for a period and then do a real language school for say around a year? I'm NOT thinking a proforma visa, but actually investing in a year of really learning thai - which would be a huge plus for me in the coming years.

For the company I could basically instruct my lawyer or wife to file zero for each month during that period, should not be a problem.

What I wonder about is if this is feasible via agents, schools or any relatively secure way of converting my visa while in-country...

If doable it would solve a heap of problems for me in one fell swoop ????

• Like 1

Afaik that's only possible if you are in Thailand on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry, because these can be converted to a non-immigrant ed visa and then extended. I think you can not get an extension based on studying in Thailand if you entered with a non-b visa (and it also can't be converted).

I see... Guess its not the most commonly route to do!

Will contact some agents soon regarding other options, maybe they might find a way...

If the land borders open I guess I could also do a short hop, resigning the day I leave & return on a visa exempt. But feels more like a gamble, who knows how they'd treat people trying to return that way!

• Like 1

In theory, if you are already in Thailand on a Non Immigrant entry (which you seem to be) you can apply for extensions of stay on the basis of studying. There is no official requirement to be on a Non Ed visa prior to applying for the extension(s). This is what the rules specify:

2.9 In the case of enrollment in a private educational institution

: (1) In case of general education institution, each permission shall be granted for a period certified by the educational institution, which shall not exceed one year.

(2) In case of non­formal school, each permission shall be granted for a period certified by the educational institution, for more than 90 days, total length of stay shall not exceed one year from the date of entering the Kingdom.

Types of non­formal school are such as religion, arts and sports, vocational, tutoring and skill development school as specified by the Private Education Commission ***

(1) Must have been granted a non­immigrant visa (NON­IM).

(2) The particular educational institution receives permission to establish said educational institution issued by the relevant government agency

(3) Must have been confirmed and requested by the particular educational institution.

(4) Must have been confirmed by the relevant government agency (except in case enrollment in international school and in higher education)

As a practical matter, it is not so easy. Depending on the area where you plan to apply for the extensions, you will probably need a school with good connections to overcome the reluctance of the local immigration officials to follow the published rules.

There is one nasty potential gotcha. It is this: total length of stay shall not exceed one year from the date of entering the Kingdom. This means that even though any Non Imm entry is OK, you cannot extend further than a year after your last entry into Thailand.

• Like 2

Ah, great info! ????

Since I entered early in February changing visas without leaving the country could well be very risky then...

If some border run, or even a few weeks in Europe will be doable in a few weeks I could then go onto a full year of staying & studying then, it seems. Especially if I manage to get back & get some stuff sold a year or even more actually studying thai would be a very good thing indeed...