Immigration Bureau mulls further visa extension for stranded foreigners

webfact

1 hour ago, samsensam said:
1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

What nationalities are still stranded here?

As flights are taking off again ac now, one way or the other, fly OUT of Thailand.

good question, certainly anyone from a western country does have, and has had, the opportunity to leave. though i have one friend ...

We aren't going home, so "repatriation flights" don't have any value.  We may be going to Turkey or similar, if they will not provide us a way to stay and spend our incomes here.

1 hour ago, jphasia said:

I will have the option to get a 60 days extension,

Maybe at some offices, but ...
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1170694-extension-options/?do=findComment&comment=15579668

...  not all.  And some also denying even 1-year extensions.  I think they are just looking for agent-money, though - may still be possible at a cost.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Or just a years visa that you can stay without having to leave or report...like most countries do for married, retired or working visitors

They do, you can either get a Non-OA, a 12 month extension on your Non-O or buy an Elite Visa, all of which give you a 12 month permission to stay. 

Not an expert on Non-Imm B ("Work Visas") but my understanding is these are good for at least a year and the higher paid jobs (particularly BOI) are good for 3 years.

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

Possibly a clue about re-opening the land borders, from the Thai Embassy in Vientiene.  It seems it will be closed until 10 July, due to "implementation of post Covid 19 visa processing procedures".

Are they expecting something in mid-July?

vientiene.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

This old chestnut again? I know some people who cannot get to where they need to be. It's not about just leaving Thailand and ending up nowhere.

Exactly, I was just two hours past the deadline on March 18th for my flight to Taiwan and am still waiting on some policy from either country which might allow me to return.

12 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

You don't have to wait for the last 90 days of the Visa to do the extension so why don't/didn't you just get a 1 year extension on the 90 day entry that you came into Thailand on when you found out that you wouldn't be able to do a border bounce?

Simple: I am working in Myanmar. I had a break in beginning of 2020 and was at home in Thailand. I was supposed to go back to go back to Myanmar in March but the borders have been closed. My 90 days expired end of May but due to the covid, border closed and amnesty ongoing...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, jphasia said:

Simple: I am working in Myanmar. I had a break in beginning of 2020 and was at home in Thailand. I was supposed to go back to go back to Myanmar in March but the borders have been closed. My 90 days expired end of May but due to the covid, border closed and amnesty ongoing...

Not meaning to nag or anything but you could have got your 12 month extension before the 90 days expired at the end of May

• Like 2