Immigration Bureau mulls further visa extension for stranded foreigners

webfact

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Yes, but to where? If I want to return to Australia, how would I do it direct? AFAIK there are no flights.

Not that I want to go back to a country that won't let me out again until there's a vaccine.

You can fly to Sydney from BKK on Cathay Pacific with a 4 hour stop in Honk Kong. Smart Traveller says avoid HK but maybe it's OK for transit.  On arrival in Australia they will put you into 14 day hotel room quarantine  at your first port of call. After that you can get another domestic flight if need be.   Some states (e.g Qld) will make you pay for the quarantine

Sound inviting?

• Like 2

On 7/4/2020 at 7:24 PM, Winky Wilson said:

I expect to be here to at least  September as my airline said not to expect rescheduling till then. They further added possibly no scheduled flights till January. I'm sorry to say we have no options other than to extend our vacation. Obviously Visa amnesty will be extended till I presume September with the current conditions in the Western countries. The US is in a deplorable situation on the brink of civil war and extended major loss of life. Cities have been looted and destroyed by BLM movement. I doubt Thailand will be accepting tourist from these areas of extreme social and medical risk. I would like to thank the Thai authorities and citizens for their responsable actions for the safety of everyone in the Kingdom.

it really isn't; there has been minimal loss of life from the riots, a few people shot not by police but by random crime.. most riots are only a few hundred people tearing down a statue or burning something in just a few area's .. but 'cities destroyed'?

On 7/4/2020 at 9:24 PM, Winky Wilson said:

I expect to be here to at least  September as my airline said not to expect rescheduling till then. They further added possibly no scheduled flights till January. I'm sorry to say we have no options other than to extend our vacation. Obviously Visa amnesty will be extended till I presume September with the current conditions in the Western countries. The US is in a deplorable situation on the brink of civil war and extended major loss of life. Cities have been looted and destroyed by BLM movement. I doubt Thailand will be accepting tourist from these areas of extreme social and medical risk. I would like to thank the Thai authorities and citizens for their responsable actions for the safety of everyone in the Kingdom.

"my airline" LOL !! this is so delusional, classic western entitled mindset. thailand does not care about your airline. you buy a ticket on a different airline. not one week has passed since march without flights to the USA. I would not count on any extension. and the current word, it's not likely to happen.  

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Isaan Alan said:

You can fly to Sydney from BKK on Cathay Pacific with a 4 hour stop in Honk Kong. Smart Traveller says avoid HK but maybe it's OK for transit.  On arrival in Australia they will put you into 14 day hotel room quarantine  at your first port of call. After that you can get another domestic flight if need be.   Some states (e.g Qld) will make you pay for the quarantine

Sound inviting?

Staying right where I am, here in Thailand, is my best option right now.  Doing the sums, the total time in the air to get to Melbourne is 14 hours, plus time transiting through HK and Sydney. No thanks.

• Like 2

So a week ago they said we would have news 'soon'. 

Common sense dictates that a further extension to the visa amnesty would be the best and easiest option, due to the benefits outlined previously in this thread.

The foreigners here under the amnesty are spending money and keeping some parts of the tourism industry off life support.

I have family, a home and car here and even with our fairly humble lifestyle I still put around 50k into the economy, whether it be through mortgage/car payments or groceries, power bill etc.

It's difficult to travel home for many people at the moment. I'd have to fly via Hong Kong and then do a compulsory 2 week quarantine on arrival in Australia. My primary source of income is online teaching and I need a stable/fast internet connection to keep my job. That isn't guaranteed for many private homes in Australia, let alone a crowded hotel where the connection is shared.

Then  there's the very real possibility that I wouldn't be able to return here to my family for god knows how long. I could stay with family in Australia but that would an burden on them.

I've been travelling back and forth between Thailand and Vietnam where I have a small business, and was just doing the landing visa plus 60 day extension each  time I came back to Thailand.
I did a visa run to Phnom Penh in March and then extended that landing visa for 60 days at the local IO. My plan was to see that period out and then simply go back to Vietnam.

Then covid-19 ramped up and the amnesty started, so I've been covered by that till (maybe) the end of this month.

I hope they do the right thing and give us an extension. It seems like the right thing to do.. but this is Thailand, right? Anything could happen..

Edited by pubba
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, pubba said:

So a week ago they said we would have news 'soon'. 

Common sense dictates that a further extension to the visa amnesty would be the best and easiest option, due to the benefits outlined previously in this thread.

The foreigners here under the amnesty are spending money and keeping some parts of the tourism industry off life support.

I have family, a home and car here and even with our fairly humble lifestyle I still put around 50k into the economy, whether it be through mortgage/car payments or groceries, power bill etc.

It's difficult to travel home for many people at the moment. I'd have to fly via Hong Kong and then do a compulsory 2 week quarantine on arrival in Australia. My primary source of income is online teaching and I need a stable/fast internet connection to keep my job. That isn't guaranteed for many private homes in Australia, let alone a crowded hotel where the connection is shared.

Then  there's the very real possibility that I wouldn't be able to return here to my family for god knows how long. I could stay with family in Australia but that would an burden on them.

I've been travelling back and forth between Thailand and Vietnam where I have a small business, and was just doing the landing visa plus 60 day extension each  time I came back to Thailand.
I did a visa run to Phnom Penh in March and then extended that landing visa for 60 days at the local IO. My plan was to see that period out and then simply go back to Vietnam.

Then covid-19 ramped up and the amnesty started, so I've been covered by that till (maybe) the end of this month.

I hope they do the right thing and give us an extension. It seems like the right thing to do.. but this is Thailand, right? Anything could happen..

I think Thailand is kind of handling this a bit better than say Vietnam. Their original amnesty ended June 30, but then they only extended it literally in the last minute! I understand they want you to sign a health form and get something from your embassy. The next deadline is now July 31.

I have good reason to suspect Thailand will extend it's own amnesty for 1 more month, possibly 2. Let's hope an announcement comes our way by next week, and not in the last minute.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2020 at 12:00 AM, kingofthemountain said:

Well if it's really the case i wonder why the 90 days counter at the immigration office

isn't closed and the IO working here put on a holiday until the 31 july.

Anyway i will go next week to do mine, just in case. When it comes to Thai

immigration rules, i prefer to play it safes.

90 days report done today at Jomtiem immigration office

very few people inside and not mention of an amnisty or someone saying my

visit was useless, my passport have been handled as usual by the immigration officer

and a new sticker put inside with the date for my next visit in october