Immigration Bureau mulls further visa extension for stranded foreigners

webfact

6 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Not meaning to nag or anything but you could have got your 12 month extension before the 90 days expired at the end of May

The 90 days I mentioned is for permission to stay (border run). My 1 year visa multi is valid until November 2020. So I am on safe side. If the amnesty is not extended end of this month, I will have the options

1/ to do a border run (with all the actual rules, quarantines (probably include quarantine in the country where i will go to...)

2/ go for extension (either 60 days or 1 year)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

What nationalities are still stranded here?

As flights are taking off again anybody can, one way or the other, fly OUT of Thailand.

If they have the necessary funds.

Maybe haven't received refund(s) from previous cancelled flight(s).

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Stuck in the land of smiles, good food, and the worst booming music known to man.

Boom boom boom boom... boom boom boom boom... 

Sorry, you must live directly below me.  I will be courteous and turn down the music, tame the GF down a little, and keep the bed from making that continuous thumping noise for hours on end. Once again Sorry.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Just FYI, even Thai immigration, bless their inept heart, understands that many people cannot return to their countries because their borders are closed just like Thailand did to its citizens.  

Try sugar in your coffee sweetheart.  It helps.  

Most countries, even though the border is closed, allow its own citizens to enter.

What country is not allowing its own citizens back in?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drbeach said:

Could still get the 12 month extension AFTER the expiration of the 90 days provided it's done within the amnesty period. Immigration will reportedly backdate it. Alternatively a 60-day extension can also be sought at any time (if one hasn't already been made).

Sometimes only with "agent help," though.

1 hour ago, drbeach said:

Again with the Turkey option. They have daytime curfews on weekends there. Nuff said. Not an attractive prospect. Europe it is (although I understand Americans are still excluded).

I think as daft as immigration may be, it's almost certain they will give us some lifeline until such times borders re-open. This piece of news sort of confirms that.

I am not considering it because I want to spend a lot of time there.  I would be going only if staying here means becoming an illegal-alien, which is not an option.  I will be back in SE Asia, preferably Thailand, when it is possible with reasonable conditions for entry.

1 hour ago, jphasia said:

2/ go for extension (either 60 days or 1 year)

Some IOs / offices are not allowing this.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

The point I was trying to make was that you don't need to wait for the Visa to expire to get a 12 month extension as you can do it on any of the 90 day entries

It is not as though immigration provides these by the stated rules everywhere.  They don't.  They Actively HATE people applying based on Thai family, and block you every imaginable underhanded-way.  Many of us use Non-O-MEs because immigration block our legit attempts to apply for extensions.

Try getting one where they want docs from your landlord who doesn't live in Thailand - then say "not good enough" when you get the docs air-mailed - or they disqualify your proven income because it "Isn't a state pension," and similar.  Those were how they blocked my 1st two attempts (multiple visits for the 1st one). 

My last attempt was for work in Thailand on a work-permit, and (just my luck) they had just changed the rules to make the application like a Non-B, as if I didn't already have a valid work permit (which I did/do) - and without consideration of covid-conditions (rule-changes on tax-payments, office-pics required w/ closed offices, etc). 

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Now I'm possibly looking at an extension of some sort. Will wait until a decision has been made on the amnesty and then I'll know what to do.

Yes. Exactly.

Also for me, I still have work schedule in Myanmar. For now, we are talking about August but again a lot of incertitudes. Will i be able to go there? If i can go there, will I be able to come back? Should i better ignore this work and look for extension in Thailand... so as you said, wait and see

31 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Most countries, even though the border is closed, allow its own citizens to enter.

What country is not allowing its own citizens back in?

What does that have to do with many of us still here?  We aren't going to our "passport countries".  Thank goodness there are a few other options open - countries that evidently want our spending.   But, hopefully, the auto-extension will be extended here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Banana7 said:

The point is that if your Thai visa is expiring, and you can't renew/extend it in Thailand, you can leave Thailand as the law requires you to do. You can go to another country, perhaps not the one that is your top choice. but there is at least one country that will let you in. There are flights out of Thailand to get you on your way.

Just because you have money to spend doesn't mean Thailand wants you here. Move along and go to another country.

Yes - if they force my family apart - as they have tried to do many times by rejecting legit applications for extensions - then that is what I will have to do.  I will not be overstaying even a day.  If my flight is cancelled (as many are), I suppose will be living "air-side" at the airport. 

Their decision to extend the deadline or not, the rtp-corruption that blocked my multiple valid extension attempts, etc - nothing I can do about those things.  I can either pay their demanded $1100 baht bribe for "agent help"**, or leave.

**(It costs double the agent-fees if you support thai family, vs retirement - even if you meet all the "official" requirements for the extension)

• Like 2