Immigration Bureau mulls further visa extension for stranded foreigners

webfact

19 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

What nationalities are still stranded here?

As flights are taking off again anybody can, one way or the other, fly OUT of Thailand.

Not everyone wants to leave,  many need to do border bounces

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Through gritted teeth and red faces the amnesty shall be granted eventually.

with immense reluctance i am sure.

On the contrary, they gave a long amnesty in one go, rather than make people sweat on it month by month. Quite stunning, actually, and very much against expectations.

Great to see the team clinch the title, by the way. I'm a little surprised that I haven't seen anyone dedicate it to the 96.

1 minute ago, Peter Denis said:

When you are on a 1-year extension of stay, there is no need to do border-runs.

Border-runs are 'necessary' for those staying in Thailand on a 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O marriage Visa, which only provides a permission to stay of 90 days on entry, after which the holder needs to leave the country (e.g. by doing a same-day border-run) or apply for the once-per-entry 60-days extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife/dependant child.

If you live close to a land-border or international airport, it is often easier to do those 3- or 5- monthly border-runs during the 17 months the 1 year ME Non Imm O marriage Visa can provide you, than having to apply for the 1-year extension of stay and having to jump all the hoops a local IO will impose for such application.

Why don't they commit to Thailand and pony up for the extension then ?

1 hour ago, Seeall said:

Stay in work country?

I am working in Myanmar. So far, the borders are still closed. If they open the borders (and flights), I will consider to go back to Myanmar to work but in this case, I have to consider that I am not be able to come back any soon to Thailand to be with my family...

It would be nice if immigration just draw a red line on the floor, let you step over it and stamp you in for another 90 days. This whole border run thing serve no piratical purpose.

The whole visa from neighboring countries, is all to do with relations with neighboring countries,
hence why there is no "express" option for same day visa anymore,
it's to make foreigners spread their money a bit to help border towns develop.
100 people spending an average of 1000 baht a day for 4 days a week
equals nearly 21 million baht a year being spent in that border town
and border runners, help create jobs and business here, as well as keeping neighbors happy with visa fees

Edited by innosiem
  • Like 1

It would be nice if immigration just draw a red line on the floor, let you step over it and stamp you in for another 90 days. This whole border run thing serve no piratical purpose.

Even before the Covid19 pandemic I felt the need to leave then re-enter Thailand an absolute nonsense. Surely if someone arrives at a Thai border crossing with the intention of leaving he/she has fulfilled the requirements of the relevant visa. Instead of someone entering Laos, Myanmar etc why not create a 'point of no return', with a re-entry gate allowing them to do a U-turn and proceed to the entry point for a re-entry stamp and payment of appropriate fee?

TIT.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

im in the same boat as many. i live in thailand with my wife and kids on a spouse visa. I cant border run, and i have no where to go to really as everything i have is here. Why send people away from their families to go through redtape, risk infection, quarantines and such... seems stupid. My visa is valid until jan 2021. Just cant do the stupid border runs that in themself are just a stupid annoyance.

bring on the amnesty until this virus is gotten rid of i say.

There are places you can fly to, its just land borders not an option,
you will also be able to return on a marriage visa
i am in the same boat, but do not fancy quarantine anywhere,

but i am looking at what countries are available now to visit for a few weeks or months
that does not have insane rules
there is also the possibility they will extend which does seem likely
and reality is, you have always had the option to apply for 1 year extension
which you could have done already, or at least got 60 day extension on your current entry
ready to apply for 1 year extension
options have been there for you

1 hour ago, PhoSai said:

....no extra risk and given their tourism sector is already in pieces it would be insane to then get rid of another source of income for the economy by kicking out thousands of foreigners currently here. I know Thai governments often enforce some crazy policies for the sake of nationalism and protectionism but this one would be a new level. Cant see them being that silly. 

You should never underestimate them

they could do it.....well, just because they can !

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

You should never underestimate them

they could do it.....well, just because they can !

agreed, but even for them would be incredible. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The Immigration Bureau is discussing the possibility of extending visa amnesty for foreigners stranded in Thailand

Suggests to me that they are awaiting confirmation of 'state of emergency' extension soon about to be announced

• Like 1

As flights are taking off again anybody can, one way or the other, fly OUT of Thailand.

I can give you an example of nationalities stranded here: My wife run her own business (restaurant) here in Thailand. She has few customers from Morocco. They came here on holidays (one couple on honeymoon) just before the borders closed. Since, they have trying to go back to Morocco but been unsuccessful so far. Why:

There have been around 5,000 Moroccan stranded outside Morocco since the borders been closed. As the covid situation went very bad in Morocco in the first few months, they totally lock down the country, not even doing repatriation. Then, they started repatriation recently with priorities (from neighboring countries, direct flights and quota...). The guy's stuck here are at the bottom of the list for repatriation. One Moroccan guy was explaining that he had a return flight in March. On his scheduled departing date, he went to the airport, check-in but later was denied to board as he was told that he won't be allowed to enter Morocco.

Another Moroccan guy came to the restaurant of my wife few days ago. He explained me that he was on his way to the airport. He said he got a call from his Embassy the night before. They informed him that they arranged a flight for him from Istanbul to Morocco for the next day but he needed to arrange his flight from Thailand to Turkey to get the connection. He tried to contact immediately the airline but no-one would answer. So he decided to go directly to their office at the airport. I didn't see him since so maybe he was lucky... 

I am sure there are more nationalities in such cases.

By the way, I am not from Morocco.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

And UK and EU border is open up and no isolation on return. 

What really could be a problem for many when they open the land borders ,are the hundreds of people which will be stranded waiting for visas all at the same time. The border controls and the local immigration offices will be swamped by the volumes of people reinstating their current visas. The longer they keep this system in place the longer Visa run people will be sitting in hotels at the borders waiting days and queuing for hours on end each day.

I think after this debacle finishes the Thai government may look at the current system and how impractical it actually is.

• Like 1

Just now, jphasia said:

Yes. This is my case. I am on Non O Multi Entry (because I live in Thailand normaly work in neighbor country) and supposed to leave country every 90 days. I should have left End of May but postponed due to the Covid. If the amnesty stopped end of this month, I will need to do the a border run. But with the actual restrictions, where and how will i be able to come back? I will have the option to get a 60 days extension, hoping that by that time, crossing the borders and re-entry will be easier but with an extension of the amnesty, I would on safe side...

I would check the viability of the 60 day extension. I am in the same boat as you. I should have done a border run before May 29th, but as we know that was not possible. My visa is valid until August, but my local Immigration Office has told me that the visa amnesty only covers you not to pay the fine. For everything else I am an over-stayer because the permission to stay (90 days) has expired

Edited by ImageDude
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Jackcwba said:

crossing an invisible line at the border just to be able to turn around and get a stamp in your passport to stay longer... complete nonsense

Indeed. 

My friend and a few others are in cnx since the lockdown.They visa is on going as we know because of this.The cost of the flights were high at the time,don,t know about now.if they can afford to stay awhile longer and get the visa to extend they may well stay longer.

The free visa can not last forever so they will have to leave then return again in 2021 i imagine.they are all waiting to see what the government will do about visas and the risk of overstay for them now.be interested too see what happens next

1 hour ago, dallen52 said:

And UK and EU border is open up and no isolation on return. 

Afraid not!

Thailand (and Cambodia) is NOT presently on the list of countries from where people can enter UK without isolating for 2 weeks....sadly for us all 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-53221896

however note that "More countries may be added ''over the coming days',' the Department for Transport says."