Immigration Bureau mulls further visa extension for stranded foreigners

webfact

22 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

What nationalities are still stranded here?

As flights are taking off again anybody can, one way or the other, fly OUT of Thailand.

Well, technically yes, if you’re planning on moving back to your home country. Some of us are stuck here waiting to get back into the countries in which we work. Not all countries are allowing foreigners in.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

You don't have to wait for the last 90 days of the Visa to do the extension so why don't/didn't you just get a 1 year extension on the 90 day entry that you came into Thailand on when you found out that you wouldn't be able to do a border bounce?

I believe it's blatantly obvious that some people just don't have 400k lying in their bank. Please stop acting as if your oblivious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm in the same situation as jphasia, except I don't work in a neighbouring country. Now, as you say, it would be nice if they stopped the 90-day exit nonsense permanently. I live close enough to Mukdahan to be able to cross the border with my wife, have a beer lao, return to Thailand within the hour and be home in time for lunch. For what? What is the point? A nice earner for Laos, but it serves no purpose at all for Thailand other than to show they control you.

Be careful what you wish for...

Thailand is (or was) in the process of automating the Visa application at its foreign Embassies.  UK citizens having to deal with that on-line application process which is already implemented at the thai Embassy in London will confirm that it is sheer horror having to apply there now (luckily you can still do it in person at e.g. the Hull consulate). 

One of the side-effects of that on-line application is that the Visa application process will be stream-lined and that the 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa will NOT be available anymore.

It might take quite some time (I certainly hope so) but eventually that 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa will not be available anymore, and then there would be no reason anymore for doing border-runs. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

You're not running around illegally but you should really have extended your permission to stay (you cannot renew a visa) when it was due to be extended as per normal. 

It's probably worth speaking to your immigration office to explain that your embassy could not provide you with what you needed (presumably letter of income) & can you extend now (backdated to the original extension date), failing that (& failing any "Special" arrangements being introduced) you will have to leave Thailand per whatever rules are introduced when the amnesty ends & get a new Non-O for Marriage.

@HOAX > When you did not use already your 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife, you could apply for that extension.  According to UbonJoe an application for such extension will not be back-dated but will start from moment of application.  So when applying just before  the end of the Amnesty (31 July if not extended) that will provide you with a permission to stay till end of September.  And you could from that 'valid' and not-Amnesty based permission to stay, then apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on your original Non Imm O Visa.   

• Like 1

And what happens when they open up the borders but people cannot get back as they have no insurance or a medical certificate confirming they are free of the virus. I can see a lot of money being made with generous back handers at the border posts

17 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Thailand is (or was) in the process of automating the Visa application at its foreign Embassies.  UK citizens having to deal with that on-line application process which is already implemented at the thai Embassy in London will confirm that it is sheer horror having to apply there now (luckily you can still do it in person at e.g. the Hull consulate). 

One of the side-effects of that on-line application is that the Visa application process will be stream-lined and that the 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa will NOT be available anymore.

It might take quite some time (I certainly hope so) but eventually that 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa will not be available anymore, and then there would be no reason anymore for doing border-runs. 

Hull and Liverpool consulates are currently closed 

23 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

As flights are taking off again anybody can, one way or the other, fly OUT of Thailand.

Not sure, but some maybe stranded because unable to enter their destination, same as thousands of expats trying to return to homes in Thailand.

19 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

And its an arduous task , scanning your passport and uploading it and it has to be the right size , uploading photos that are complaint with the rules , uploading hotel bookings and confirmed flights and then downloading the declaration form and then signing it and then uploading it again .

Problematic if you dont have a scanner or printer or are unsure how to resize photos .

The application is sent to Bangkok and processed there and they then inform your Embassy whether to issue you with a visa or not .

23 hours ago, jphasia said:

Yes. This is my case. I am on Non O Multi Entry (because I live in Thailand normaly work in neighbor country) and supposed to leave country every 90 days. I should have left End of May but postponed due to the Covid. If the amnesty stopped end of this month, I will need to do the a border run. But with the actual restrictions, where and how will i be able to come back? I will have the option to get a 60 days extension, hoping that by that time, crossing the borders and re-entry will be easier but with an extension of the amnesty, I would on safe side...

> My earlier post #128 will probably be of relevance for you.

Also or probable relevance for @unamazedloso

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Seriously doubt they extend...very likely it WILL be time to pay,  

I don't think people have a problem paying. Many in this forum seem to believe that those stranded here are trying to avoid paying a couple thousand baht for an extension.

What the people stranded here want is a clear solution. Some people are unable to return home or to the countries where they work. Here are some shocking news for some of you: not all people live in their passport countries.

Either an extension to the amnesty or the ability to get extensions would be welcome. Kicking all foreigners out of the country doesn't make sense, because thousands of them can't go back to the countries where they work/live due to lots of countries only accepting citizens.

Edited by andux

23 hours ago, jphasia said:

Yes. This is my case. I am on Non O Multi Entry (because I live in Thailand normaly work in neighbor country) and supposed to leave country every 90 days. I should have left End of May but postponed due to the Covid. If the amnesty stopped end of this month, I will need to do the a border run. But with the actual restrictions, where and how will i be able to come back? I will have the option to get a 60 days extension, hoping that by that time, crossing the borders and re-entry will be easier but with an extension of the amnesty, I would on safe side...

And more to the point you would be a Covid risk.  Offering a further amnesty is a no brainer.  I don't see why they always keep people on tenterhooks. (No, I'm not effected).

23 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

It would be nice if immigration just draw a red line on the floor, let you step over it and stamp you in for another 90 days. This whole border run thing serve no piratical purpose.

First you bashing people for having the chance to go back home but not wanting to , and now you agree with the same people and you have the solution for them as well (drawing a red line on the floor for them to step over because the whole border run thing doesn't make sence to you???) 

6 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

And more to the point you would be a Covid risk.  Offering a further amnesty is a no brainer.  I don't see why they always keep people on tenterhooks. (No, I'm not effected).

How can @jphasia be a Covid risk?

He entered Thailand end of February!  And he is worried about being forced to leave by the end of the Amnesty and possibly/probably encountering difficulties to return to his family if indeed having to leave.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 3:41 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Edited 23 hours ago by ExpatOilWorker

Does it really matter? 

Perhaps some flights are taking off again, are they taking punters where the punters need to go?

As to the statement 'anyone can fly OUT of Thailand', are you certain?

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

@HOAX > When you did not use already your 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife, you could apply for that extension.  According to UbonJoe an application for such extension will not be back-dated but will start from moment of application.  So when applying just before  the end of the Amnesty (31 July if not extended) that will provide you with a permission to stay till end of September.  And you could from that 'valid' and not-Amnesty based permission to stay, then apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on your original Non Imm O Visa.   

Not a @HOAX> as nobody knows for sure what the rules are going to be but normally you cannot extend a permission to stay that has already expired & I've not seen any notices to say that this has changed. 

I didn't say that the 60 day extension would be backdated (Why would I when I'm saying that I don't think you can do it) I said that if they will let you do a 12 month extension (as suggested by another poster) it would be dated from the date that your permission to stay expires. 

So, my understanding is if your current permission to stay expired at the end of May (as was the example).

1. You cannot do a 60 day extension for reasons of visiting your wife 
  2. You may be able to do a 12 month extension which would be stamped from end of May giving you to end of May 2021

All conjecture as we don't know the facts but happy to be shown evidence to the contrary. 

9 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Not a @HOAX> as nobody knows for sure what the rules are going to be but normally you cannot extend a permission to stay that has already expired & I've not seen any notices to say that this has changed. 

I didn't say that the 60 day extension would be backdated (Why would I when I'm saying that I don't think you can do it) I said that if they will let you do a 12 month extension (as suggested by another poster) it would be dated from the date that your permission to stay expires. 

So, my understanding is if your current permission to stay expired at the end of May (as was the example).

1. You cannot do a 60 day extension for reasons of visiting your wife 
  2. You may be able to do a 12 month extension which would be stamped from end of May giving you to end of May 2021

All conjecture as we don't know the facts but happy to be shown evidence to the contrary.

I did see some reports on the Forum of people that enquired at their IO with an already expired  permission to stay (and thus being on the automatic extension during the Amnesty), and where IO confirmed that they would handle their application for the 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting their wife.

According to @ubonjoe such an application would not be back-dated but starting from the moment of application (or even from the announced end of the Amnesty).

> UJ can you please confirm to clarify the issue (which is haunting many whose permission to stay already expired, and are now on the Amnesty).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Peter Denis said:

I did see some reports on the Forum of people that enquired at their IO with an already expired  permission to stay (and thus being on the automatic extension during the Amnesty), and where IO confirmed that they would handle their application for the 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting their wife.

According to @ubonjoe such an application would not be back-dated but starting from the moment of application (or even from the announced end of the Amnesty).

> UJ can you please confirm to clarify the issue (which is haunting many whose permission to stay already expired, and are now on the Amnesty).

I was told yesterday in Songkhla that as I used the COVID extension I could not get the +60 for visiting a partner. But Joe thinks that immigration were wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, I'm fully aware of that. But, at the same time, the printed application form we still fill in also gives no place to apply for a ME either and we have to indicate that is what we want. Someone will have tried for a ME in London or Paris or wherever else is now using the online application process and will be able to advise. I'm pretty sure though that is part of the nonsense we already have, where different offices make up their own rule as to issue a ME or not (ie Vientienne NO unless money in the bank, Savannakhet YES regardless). It doesn't seem to matter what the LAW says.

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

How can @jphasia be a Covid risk?

He entered Thailand end of February!  And he is worried about being forced to leave by the end of the Amnesty and possibly/probably encountering difficulties to return to his family if indeed having to leave.

Actually, at end of May, I was not. I had to do some checkup for follow up of a surgery last year and had to be tested for Covid prior the follow up... As of today, who knows...:)

3 hours ago, Eibot said:

I believe it's blatantly obvious that some people just don't have 400k lying in their bank. Please stop acting as if your oblivious.

I am sure there are but in my case, the money is not the issue. As explained, the reason I have been with Non O Multi (based on Thai Child) vs year extension is because of situation of working in neighbor country and visiting my family often. I am not fully permanent in Thailand and not plan to for now. As I already said also before, my current situation is not as dramatic and I am just facing a global issue (Pandemic) which change my plans and situation with Thailand immigration. There is not much I can do now than wait and see what will happen in terms of visas, travelling in the coming weeks, months...

I cannot blame anyone or blame myself about the situation I am now. I have not chosen to be on overstay and I will have to follow the new rules (Amnesty extended, leaving the country...). It might be more complicate to return with all the new conditions (quarantines, certificate of this, certificate of that, insurance...). So far, I have a USD 100,000 health insurance that cover the Covid; so that's a start

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 4:46 PM, Isaan Alan said:

Well said. For instance I have a 1 year visa for Savannakhet but I must leave every 90 days. I can leave but it might be very difficult and very slow to come back to live in my home with my Thai wife. The 2,000 per month allowed to enter Thailand by marriage  isn't going to go far.

But there are always the agents as an option.

The lack of empathy from some posters make me think they drink vinegar instead of water.

Something tells me a majority of those 'posters' are propbably English/British..

The grassy are quite green in Thailand. ????