More UK retailers should ban coconut products from monkey labour: PM's fiancée

snoop1130

2020-07-03T091250Z_2_LYNXMPEG620DZ_RTROPTP_4_RUGBY-UNION-NATIONS-ENG-WAL.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Rugby Union - Six Nations Championship - England v Wales - Twickenham Stadium, London, Britain - March 7, 2020 Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson with his partner Carrie Symonds REUTERS/Toby Melville/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Prime Minister Boris Johnson's fiancée Carrie Symonds on Friday welcomed pledges by four British retailers to stop selling coconut products that use monkey labour in their production and called on others to do the same.

"Glad Waitrose [JLPLC.UL], Co-op, Boots & Ocado have vowed not to sell products that use monkey labour, while Morrisons has already removed these from its stores," Symonds said on her Twitter account.

Symonds, a conservationist, was responding to a report in The Telegraph newspaper which highlighted the plight of pigtailed macaques that are taken from the wild in Thailand and used on farms to harvest coconuts.

She called on all other supermarkets to boycott the products.

"I’m told Asda , Tesco & Sainsbury’s STILL sell such products," she said.

Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury's did not have an immediate comment.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-07-03

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

possible, anything it's possible but I haven't seen it with my own eyes in the Krabi/Trang area.... but again possible

This is why I posted without a comment. I can believe it's possible that monkeys are being ill-treated, but I have not seen it.

15 hours ago, Mavideol said:

they have been using the monkeys, God knows for how long, to climb up the palm tress and drop the coconut, it's not really a job more like fun for some monkeys as I saw/see them do it on a regular basis

It's great to know that ThaiVisa has a wildlife expert in its ranks! ???? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Symonds, a conservationist, was responding to a report in The Telegraph newspaper which highlighted the plight of pigtailed macaques that are taken from the wild in Thailand and used on farms to harvest coconuts.

She called on all other supermarkets to boycott the products.

"I’m told Asda , Tesco & Sainsbury’s STILL sell such products," she said.

Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury's did not have an immediate comment.

Tesco later pointed out to her that they don’t actually stock products made by the manufacturers or methods that she highlighted...she really is the perfect partner for johnson. 

Supermarkets snub coconut goods picked by monkeys https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53276071

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Monkey lives matter! Next ban horse riding, we don't know how they are treated, and being forced to do something that has someone on the their back.! By the way the monkeys on the whole, are Loyal, very territorial great guard dogs! very strong, have expert coconut knowledge as to ripeness, very good at climbing, love travelling by truck, well fed and adapt to life of eating, sleeping and good exercise. Most owners care well for the monkeys. Most important human life is protected by not having young adults climb tall trees that could be fatal. The monkey has a job! the coconut grower has a job! and you get your coconut!

• Like 2

Good Idea stop UK residents from having anything coconut. Ban all coconuts. They'll soon come around.

Actually ban anything exotic so they stop thinking about other countries and go back to turnips and sprouts?

Actually quite simple make it illegal in Thailand to have only one monkey. Must have two, for companionship. 

It is illegal in Switzerland to have one hamster as a pet.

Edited by VocalNeal

1 hour ago, phetpeter said:

Monkey lives matter! Next ban horse riding, we don't know how they are treated, and being forced to do something that has someone on the their back.! By the way the monkeys on the whole, are Loyal, very territorial great guard dogs! very strong, have expert coconut knowledge as to ripeness, very good at climbing, love travelling by truck, well fed and adapt to life of eating, sleeping and good exercise. Most owners care well for the monkeys. Most important human life is protected by not having young adults climb tall trees that could be fatal. The monkey has a job! the coconut grower has a job! and you get your coconut!

I have a confession, yesterday i swatted a fly and even worse i shook  my Rodger after  a pee, how much longer will i be able to do this terrible things ?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Mavideol said:

they have been using the monkeys, God knows for how long, to climb up the palm tress and drop the coconut, it's not really a job more like fun for some monkeys as I saw/see them do it on a regular basis

And what about the farmers who use Horses/Buffalow/Bulls/ Cows /Donkeys/ for Work on a farm , and Eskimos use Dogs for Work.

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

And what about the farmers who use Horses/Buffalow/Bulls/ Cows /Donkeys/ for Work on a farm , and Eskimos use Dogs for Work.

The PETA stance is that all use of animals for work is unethical and should be stopped. That includes things like police dogs, drug sniffer dogs, horses used for racing or ceremonial purposes (changing of the guard etc), in fact they believe that horse breeding should be banned full stop. Like many other businesses, supermarkets will bend to the will of these pressure groups. I noted one supermarket spokesman saying yesterday that they would ban any products where animal labour has been involved. I must contact them and ask them if that is going to mean they are going to stop selling lamb where sheepdogs are being used because that is also animal labour as far as PETA is concerned. And of course they have to take rice of the shelves because animal labour is often used there as well, the water buffalo in Thailand and India. It's all a pile of manure of course, the farmers that own these monkeys treat them like family pets, only too aware of their value to them. I remember talking to one of them years ago after watching him and his monkey work and remarking how they seem to be a good team, his reply roughly translated came out as something like "have to keep monkey happy, if monkey not happy I get coconut on head".
But PETA had to come up with a ill treatment angle for this one to fly and in their book the end will justify the means.

• Thanks 1

There's some people who mistreat Dogs , some people who mistreat kids , some people mistreat cats or Any animal . What will she be saying about that. Can't Buy Anything Because Somewhere there's Some mistreating going on. PM's pants wearer should Shut up and Keep on Shopping.

I have seen the monkeys (macaques) many times around Surat Thani and Chumphon areas riding on the back of laden trucks with coconuts going home after a day's work. Never saw them mistreated or inhumanely caged. I took video and the screen grab picture below last month while travelling in Chumphon Province.

image.png.2341494906a598d0e186b959e0f20ae3.png

• Like 1