BANGKOK
snoop1130

More UK retailers should ban coconut products from monkey labour: PM's fiancée

More UK retailers should ban coconut products from monkey labour: PM's fiancée

2020-07-03T091250Z_2_LYNXMPEG620DZ_RTROPTP_4_RUGBY-UNION-NATIONS-ENG-WAL.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Rugby Union - Six Nations Championship - England v Wales - Twickenham Stadium, London, Britain - March 7, 2020 Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson with his partner Carrie Symonds REUTERS/Toby Melville/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Prime Minister Boris Johnson's fiancée Carrie Symonds on Friday welcomed pledges by four British retailers to stop selling coconut products that use monkey labour in their production and called on others to do the same.

"Glad Waitrose [JLPLC.UL], Co-op, Boots & Ocado have vowed not to sell products that use monkey labour, while Morrisons has already removed these from its stores," Symonds said on her Twitter account.

Symonds, a conservationist, was responding to a report in The Telegraph newspaper which highlighted the plight of pigtailed macaques that are taken from the wild in Thailand and used on farms to harvest coconuts.

She called on all other supermarkets to boycott the products.

"I’m told Asda , Tesco & Sainsbury’s STILL sell such products," she said.

Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury's did not have an immediate comment.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-07-03

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

possible, anything it's possible but I haven't seen it with my own eyes in the Krabi/Trang area.... but again possible

This is why I posted without a comment. I can believe it's possible that monkeys are being ill-treated, but I have not seen it.

Not even April fools doesent Boris airhead gf have more important things to think about?you know brexit or covid to name two

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Mavideol said:

they have been using the monkeys, God knows for how long, to climb up the palm tress and drop the coconut, it's not really a job more like fun for some monkeys as I saw/see them do it on a regular basis

It's great to know that ThaiVisa has a wildlife expert in its ranks! 👍 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Symonds, a conservationist, was responding to a report in The Telegraph newspaper which highlighted the plight of pigtailed macaques that are taken from the wild in Thailand and used on farms to harvest coconuts.

She called on all other supermarkets to boycott the products.

"I’m told Asda , Tesco & Sainsbury’s STILL sell such products," she said.

Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury's did not have an immediate comment.

Tesco later pointed out to her that they don’t actually stock products made by the manufacturers or methods that she highlighted...she really is the perfect partner for johnson. 

Supermarkets snub coconut goods picked by monkeys https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53276071

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1