Confusion reigns on alcohol sales

orchidfan

actually OP is correct ....  7-11 haven't got a clue  !    one guy say's tomorrow no sell for sure ...

but Sunday is kinda ' well i don't really know '    and forget monday or tuesday as they are too far away ....

• Haha 2

Depends where you live if you live near a mom and pop store then no ban

Do what most of us do, Im going to makro tonight and get a case of beer, sorted!

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Going to a nearby restaurant tonight ( wife won 5000B on the local rotterly , she pays ). She phoned to see if they had beer. Yes, Singha, Heinee and Chang .  Just hope they sell it.

enjoy 

On 7/3/2020 at 8:50 PM, steven100 said:

actually OP is correct ....  7-11 haven't got a clue  !    one guy say's tomorrow no sell for sure ...

but Sunday is kinda ' well i don't really know '    and forget monday or tuesday as they are too far away ....

I don't believe that 7/11 doesn't have a clue about the alcohol bans. The reason for the confusion is that some government officials first claimed that July 4 and 5 would be the days when alcohol was banned,then yesterday morning they went public again and said that July 5 and 6 were the days. That's what every banks calendar also says. Don't blame stores when government officials don't know about official Buddhist days in Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I don't believe that 7/11 doesn't have a clue about the alcohol bans. The reason for the confusion is that some government officials first claimed that July 4 and 5 would be the days when alcohol was banned,then yesterday morning they went public again and said that July 5 and 6 were the days. That's what every banks calendar also says. Don't blame stores when government officials don't know about official Buddhist days in Thailand. 

agree, the staff in 7/11 stores dont decide to sell or not sell alcohol, they simply follow instructions from CP HO, who get their information from the government.

6 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Truly, I'll never understand this forum topic as it repeats every time there is a short ban. 

Just buy a few cases and replenish them when you run low. Otherwise ignore the whole issue. 

I don't drink very much but determined long ago to stop playing this game. 

I pretty much do the same with non-perishable groceries. Especially now it's annoying to venture to the store for a couple of items. 

I understand that many Thai folks cannot afford to buy/store in bulk. But it seems like most expats should generally have the funds and foresight to do so. 

haha agree, so many here criticise the thais for failing to be organised and plan ahead...! just get organised guys! though as i dont drink i really dont care ????

7 hours ago, Max69xl said:

wrong answer .... pls read the post below yours .... and i went to two different 7-11's yesterday and neither were sure what day they were permitted to sell ... both said they would contact their office to confirm.

On 7/5/2020 at 12:12 AM, Max69xl said:

Local Tesco stores arent much better. When they had the ban for the election I went into a mini Tesco at 6.30pm on the Sunday (the ban ended 6pm Sunday) and had an old woman behind the counter refuse to sell beer, even took it off the counter and put it on the floor behind the counter. She spoke no English so I searched on my phone for the article in the Bangkok post about the hours for the ban and brought up the Thai version and showed her. Made no difference, even had a Thai guy who spoke a little English come up to see what the problem was. Showed him the article with the details and he explained it to her and still not willing to sell to me. I walked out, went 500m up the road and into 7/11 and got what I wanted. My mate and I then sat outside the front of the hotel, drinking our beers and playing with the owners dogs and watching motorbike after motorbike of Thais pull up at the Tesco and walk out with beers and alcohol!!