UK Coronavirus (COVID-19): travel corridors without Thailand

jojothai

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors

Noting that Thailand is not on the list?? It was rumored earlier that Thailand may be on the list.

Why, when Thailand is such a small risk compared to many of the other countries on the list?

I guess that here they must have refused to reciprocate.

Understandable if you consider the risk from the UK, but I expect there will be a lot of uk citizens who may want to go back (and some will have good reason to do so) very disappointed with the decision.

NOTE ADDED: This applies only to England.

Edited by jojothai
clarification

From 10 July 2020, unless they have visited or stopped in any other country or territory in the preceding 14 days, passengers arriving from the following countries and territories will not be required to self-isolate on arrival into England.

Andorra Germany New Zealand
Antigua and Barbuda Greece Norway
Aruba Greenland Poland
Australia Grenada Réunion
Austria Guadeloupe San Marino
Bahamas Hong Kong Serbia
Barbados Hungary Seychelles
Belgium Iceland South Korea
Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba Italy Spain
Croatia Jamaica St Barthélemy
Curaçao Japan St Kitts and Nevis
Cyprus Liechtenstein St Lucia
Czech Republic Lithuania St Pierre and Miquelon
Denmark Luxembourg Switzerland
Dominica Macau Taiwan
Faroe Islands Malta Trinidad and Tobago
Fiji Mauritius Turkey
Finland Monaco Vatican City
France Netherlands Vietnam
French Polynesia New Caledonia  
  • Thanks 1

According to the Gov Site Thailand is on the list  

Still current at:
4 July 2020
Updated:
3 July 2020
Latest update:

From 4 July, Thailand is exempt from the FCO advice against all non-essential international travel. This is based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks.

If you scroll down and look under Asia its there.

Asia-Pacific

Australia

Brunei

French Polynesia

Hong Kong

Japan

Macao

Malaysia

New Zealand

Taiwan

Thailand

Singapore

South Korea

Vietnam

Wallis and Futuna

My first reaction is to think there has been an oversight.

Other than that, maybe Thailand didn't make a request or doesn't want it- after all new cases seem to be returnees.

People can of course still travel- just not quarantine free.

Maybe it's stated somewhere and I missed it.

Issuing a list of countries you can go to and return without having to quarantine is only half the required info'.

There should be notification of the countries requirements to allow entry.

eg if Thailand is on the list then it should state 'please contact your local Thai Embassy Consulate for information'.

Many may think on the old lines of 'no visa required for 30 days holiday' book and pay for  a flight and find out too late it isn't going to work.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, stretch5163 said:

According to the Gov Site Thailand is on the list  

Still current at:
4 July 2020
Updated:
3 July 2020
Latest update:

From 4 July, Thailand is exempt from the FCO advice against all non-essential international travel. This is based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks.

If you scroll down and look under Asia its there.

Asia-Pacific

Australia

Brunei

French Polynesia

Hong Kong

Japan

Macao

Malaysia

New Zealand

Taiwan

Thailand

Singapore

South Korea

Vietnam

Wallis and Futuna

Thanks, I do want people to let us know if they see anything different for the England list for exempt to quarantine.

What you have posted is from the FCO site for

"Coronavirus (COVID-19): countries and territories exempt from advice against ‘all but essential’ international travel"

That affects any insurance you may have.

But the list of 59 or 60 countries dictates who has to Quarantine.

Under my insurance, I can now travel to UK without loss of cover, but I would still have to Quarantine

Its complete political nonsense by the UK, Its supposed to be related to risk.

I accept that I may have to Quarantine here on return but why the F should I have to quarantine when I go there.

They open up the pubs with the incidence they have.

Perhaps this is a hint by the gods above telling us not to go near the place.

I now have to seriously rethink any reasons or objectives for for going to the England.

Edited by jojothai

3 minutes ago, jojothai said:

Thanks, I do want people to let us know if they see anything different for the England list for exempt to quarantine.

What you have posted is from the FCO site for

"Coronavirus (COVID-19): countries and territories exempt from advice against ‘all but essential’ international travel"

That affects any insurance you may have.

But the list of 59 or 60 countries dictates who has to Quarantine.

Under my insurance, I can now travel to UK without loss of cover, but I would still have to Quarantine

Its complete political nonsense by the UK, Its supposed to be related to risk.

They open up the pubs with the incidence they have.

Perhaps this is a hint by the gods above telling us not to go near the place.

I now have to seriously rethink any reasons or objectives for for going to the England.

Maybe wait a few days- perhaps there has been an error.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

Maybe wait a few days- perhaps there has been an error.

Thanks,

that's what I am hoping but the initial decision left it out for whatever reason.

I cannot plan for a trip now, Best to try figure out other ways how I deal with some issues otherwise.

thailand was on the first initial list for green light countries but the arrogant uk government didnt think of actually asking the thai government, so obviously thailand then told the uk government that uk citizens (well the majority) wernt allowed into thailand. so it was then a tit for tat reaction

• Thanks 1

Travel insurance companies in UK are now stating that Covid19 is 'not' an unforeseen event.

Effectively meaning that if you book a holiday from UK and have to cancel if you get Covid then, their words' it is highly unlikely you will be covered by insurance.

If you return with Covid from your holiday then isolation/quarantine are also  highly unlikely to be covered.

Edit.

It's also highly unlikely the airline will refund you as well.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

I've been out of the loop for some time so now I'm trying to bring myself up to date.

I've been in lockdown in Scotland (20km from the English border) since it was introduced.

I am due to arrive back in Thailand on 6th October and my retirement visa extension neede to be renewed before 15th October (Korat).

Clearly if I need to go into quarantine in Bangkok for 14 days I will have technically overstayed before I can renew it.

I am unclear what the quarantine arrangements are or If immigration making any special arrangements or concessions.

I know it's a little far in advance but I think it wise to start looking into this now in case I need to adjust my schedule.

Does anyone know, or can point me to a link which might clarify the issue.

Thanks

On 7/5/2020 at 10:00 AM, overherebc said:

Travel insurance companies in UK are now stating that Covid19 is 'not' an unforeseen event.

Effectively meaning that if you book a holiday from UK and have to cancel if you get Covid then, their words' it is highly unlikely you will be covered by insurance.

If you return with Covid from your holiday then isolation/quarantine are also  highly unlikely to be covered.

Edit.

It's also highly unlikely the airline will refund you as well.

Good point. FYI, the return is most likely not covered at all under any policy. The wording in my travel policy is:

Covers:

Additional travelling and accommodation expenses (a) which are necessarily incurred by the
insured member outside their home area as a direct consequence of bodily injury sustained by
the insured member or of unforeseen sickness of the insured member which has occurred
while the insured member was on an overseas journey;

It is only cover for expenses outside the home area.

FYI, my health Insurance is a separate policy (travel is an add on) . on the policy and their FAQs, I will be covered for treatment unless I travel against the FCO advice.

The FCO advice does now allow Thailand.

56 minutes ago, jojothai said:

Good point. FYI, the return is most likely not covered at all under any policy. The wording in my travel policy is:

Covers:

Additional travelling and accommodation expenses (a) which are necessarily incurred by the
insured member outside their home area as a direct consequence of bodily injury sustained by
the insured member or of unforeseen sickness of the insured member which has occurred
while the insured member was on an overseas journey;

It is only cover for expenses outside the home area.

FYI, my health Insurance is a separate policy (travel is an add on) . on the policy and their FAQs, I will be covered for treatment unless I travel against the FCO advice.

The FCO advice does now allow Thailand.

I wonder what they class end of holiday/travel?

When you get off at home airport/seaport or when you reach your own front door?

37 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I wonder what they class end of holiday/travel?

When you get off at home airport/seaport or when you reach your own front door?

On my policy my home area is Thailand. I would interpret that to be as soon as I enter the country.

I guess it would depends on any specific wording in the policy.

On 7/4/2020 at 9:55 PM, paulikens said:

thailand was on the first initial list for green light countries but the arrogant uk government didnt think of actually asking the thai government, so obviously thailand then told the uk government that uk citizens (well the majority) wernt allowed into thailand. so it was then a tit for tat reaction

No, I think it more likely Thailand simply didn't want it, eg, a number of countries are on the list who currently ban UK citizens from entering without quarantine.