Message to the Thai Authorities

Do what I'm thinking of, bring the wife to the UK for a while if they keep these ridiculous requirements.

I'm stuck in the UK, and I cannot go there, the only way see the wife is get her here for a while.

Problem is I do not know the processing time now for a visa to the UK in covid time

13 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Do what I'm thinking of, bring the wife to the UK for a while if they keep these ridiculous requirements.

How about applying for a settlement visa, if you can afford it, and can both see it out through citizenship.  Good investment but obviously takes perseverance.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

I'm stuck in the UK, and I cannot go there, the only way see the wife is get her here for a while.

Problem is I do not know the processing time now for a visa to the UK in covid time

You can go to Thailand (if you have a Marriage certificate) or rather you can apply for a Certificate of Entry (then have to get tests, flight and do a 15 day quarantine etc). 

I too am stuck in the UK and initially figured I’d just move my Wife and Son to the UK. My Wife has a 10 year Visit Visa, the issue with this is the length of time she could stay here with that so we’d have to switch her to a Spouse Visa, we’d have to sell the house in BKK, Sell the car, sell loads of stuff and ship the rest. Then get a house in the UK the UK, change my Sons School from Thailand to the UK (easily doable) - ultimately it's a big step so we decided against moving back to the UK for now and may do so next year when the decision is less rushed. 

Instead, I’m jumping through the hoops to get back to Thailand and have submitted the application for the Certificate of Entry - no idea how long approval takes. 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

If only it was that easy. That's exactly what I've been trying to do - are you aware of how that now works? Your Mrs can get to the UK no problem (at the moment). But for her to return to Thailand she has to apply for permission to join a repatriation flight. She can book a commercial flight but she won't be allowed on it. There are Thai's in the UK that have been waiting since April to get home - 3000+ of them apparently. They are currently only operating 2 repat flights per month so it will be a while before the queue goes down.  If your wife's OK to stay a while fine - you may need to buy her a big coat though.

Example of the flight complications - from my discussiions with the Thai Embassy in London and EVA Air (one of the designated repat flight operators).  Eva will let me book a flight for my wife both ways for 37,000 baht (already 12,000 more than Lufthansa). EVA know that my wife is unlikely to be able to fly home on the booked day because she has to wait for approval from the airport but they will allow free changes for up to 12 months.  I asked them "so when my wife gets approval you'll change the flight to the date the embassy gives" - "yes sir, free of charge".  The embassy class such flights as repat flights but in fact they are not special charter, they are regular commercially available flights.

Here's the rub. The embassy won't allow your wife to travel on the return portion of that ticket even though EVA will change it to the appoved date. The embassy stipulate that you have to book the return portion through them and you can guess what that means - 2 one way tickets, total now 37,000++++++++++

From an email received today:

Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you for your inquiry about Eva ticket.  If your wife has already registered with us for repatriation flight and her turn comes, she needs to pay for a single ticket.  For her previous ticket, contact eva for refund or credit.  

Best regards
Consular Officer,
Royal Thai Embassy, London
29-30 Queen's Gate 
London
SW7 5JB
Tel: 02072255500

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

There are options for you guys to go to Thailand and yes there is quarantine but its for everyone so stop complaining about that one. Just be happy you can go back. 

KhoayYai said there are still 3000 Thais waiting so tell me why would foreigners get into Thailand before Thais. I heard this from someone who worked at the embassy too that she was surprised why foreigners complained. I mean first Thais then foreigners. 

I bet you would be complaining too if they let others in your home country before you. Strange that when it works the other way around people are complaining.

At least there are options and yes it means going through some hoops but that is unfortunately the way it is now. 

• Thanks 1

Maybe the authorities could start doing a one-for-one deal like a spy swap? If a foreigner is 'stranded' here and wants to leave, then line up a replacement foreigner overseas who wants to come back to Thailand. That would ensure the flight was full both inbound and outbound.

Win-win-win!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Maybe the authorities could start doing a one-for-one deal like a spy swap? If a foreigner is 'stranded' here and wants to leave, then line up a replacement foreigner overseas who wants to come back to Thailand. That would ensure the flight was full both inbound and outbound.

Win-win-win!

Its a priority thing. Thais are citizen and get first choice. Then falang spouses. Seems fair to me. Need health certificates and 14 day quarantine, plus health insurance. The fights will be at full cost, I would assume.

8 hours ago, robblok said:

There are options for you guys to go to Thailand and yes there is quarantine but its for everyone so stop complaining about that one. Just be happy you can go back.

If only it was that simple. For someone who normally lives in Thailand and was unable to return to because of the lockdown, yes they can now return - subject to conditions.  For others like myself who work outside Thailand, its virtually impossible.  I can't take a month off in order to do 2 week's quarantine + 2 weeks with my family each time I visit.

For offshore workers the situation is even worse. It is not possible to choose when you go to Thailand - the embassy where you apply to decides when you can fly.  Offshore workers are usually on strict rotations and would have to be very lucky that it fits with the dates given to fly.

Remember that we would also have to go though the Certificate of Entry every time we wish to visit our families and who knows how long this situation will last?

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

If only it was that simple. For someone who normally lives in Thailand and was unable to return to because of the lockdown, yes they can now return - subject to conditions.  For others like myself who work outside Thailand, its virtually impossible.  I can't take a month off in order to do 2 week's quarantine + 2 weeks with my family each time I visit.

For offshore workers the situation is even worse. It is not possible to choose when you go to Thailand - the embassy where you apply to decides when you can fly.  Offshore workers are usually on strict rotations and would have to be very lucky that it fits with the dates given to fly.

Remember that we would also have to go though the Certificate of Entry every time we wish to visit our families and who knows how long this situation will last?

This will last as long as corvid lasts. You can't blame the government for being strict, especially for people from the UK (worst hit in Europe).

So basically your asking Thailand to forgo its safety so you can come back. I find that quite selfish. This is not a thing the Thai goverment came up with many countries do the same. The UK does it too. So yes it sucks, but i don't see this changing. I find these requirements perfectly reasonable all countries do it. 

Im sorry that it is bad for you but you can't expect this to change. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, robblok said:

So basically your asking Thailand to forgo its safety so you can come back. I find that quite selfish.

Firstly, I don't see where I've asked Thailand to forgo anything.

But seeing as you raise the issue, it would be helpful if Thailand could look and see if there are ways they could improve the current situation regarding entry for certain groups.  There are kids that haven't seen their fathers for months etc. etc. I know of 2 guys that haven't seen their new babies yet.

Further, they are not doing at all well with their repatriation flights for Thai people - flights are landing empty and yesterday I learned of empty rooms in state quarantine hotels yet there are over 3000 Thai's waiting in the UK alone.  Its not the week after lockdown, its July!

There's always room for improvement and there are workable solutions that don't compromise Thailand's security.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Firstly, I don't see where I've asked Thailand to forgo anything.

But seeing as you raise the issue, it would be helpful if Thailand could look and see if there are ways they could improve the current situation regarding entry for certain groups.  There are kids that haven't seen their fathers for months etc. etc. I know of 2 guys that haven't seen their new babies yet.

Further, they are not doing at all well with their repatriation flights for Thai people - flights are landing empty and yesterday I learned of empty rooms in state quarantine hotels yet there are over 3000 Thai's waiting in the UK alone.  Its not the week after lockdown, its July!

There's always room for improvement and there are workable solutions that don't compromise Thailand's security.

You do ask Thailand to forgo quarantine while the UK is having it.. (UK with worst cases in Europe). So it might be bad for you but its bad for all of us. This is how it is we all need to adapt. I don't think that I will see my parents this year. I just accept this as covid related.

You can still come to Thailand, it will just cost you more holiday time. Yes that sucks but it sucks for all of us. The 14 days is done all over the world. For you its an inconvenience not an impossibility.  I think we will all have to live with being a bit inconvenienced. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, robblok said:

You do ask Thailand to forgo quarantine while the UK is having it

1. Where?

2. The UK has lifted quarantine requirements for travellers from Thailand

Of course Thailand should be very wary and maintain some form of quarantine but there are potential solutions.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

1. Where?

2. The UK has lifted quarantine requirements for travellers from Thailand

Of course Thailand should be very wary and maintain some form of quarantine but there are potential solutions.

What solutions are there ? 

Plus why would they quarantine their own from risk area's and then let others (you) without quarantine in. 

They just like to stay in control and if it goes wrong only they are to blame. I understand that once you allow other health certificates and testing then your not sure 100% because a third party does it. Also it has to be done for many countries. It all gets complicated best to keep it the way it is this way Thailand can be sure things are done well. 

32 minutes ago, treetops said:

My apologies, Thailand was on an 'official' looking list on another forum yesterday.  I'll have to look into that and find out if it was a fake news post or whether the UK has now removed Thailand for some reason.

14 hours ago, robblok said:

I bet you would be complaining too if they let others in your home country before you. Strange that when it works the the way around people are complaining

Not at all, I fully understand why Thai's would be given priority but perhaps you should consider a couple of things.

1. When a foreigner who has a wife and or family in Thailand, cannot return home - the Thai people in that family also suffer.

2. They have separate quarantine facilities for foreigners so there's no impact on returning Thai's there. If they'd let us travel on the commercial flights that are landing at Suvarnabhumi every day - we wouldn't be taking up seats either.

I will answer your question regarding alternative quarantine when you answer mine - I ask again, where have I asked Thailand to forgo quarantine?

7 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Not at all, I fully understand why Thai's would be given priority but perhaps you should consider a couple of things.

1. When a foreigner who has a wife and or family in Thailand, cannot return home - the Thai people in that family also suffer.

2. They have separate quarantine facilities for foreigners so there's no impact on returning Thai's there. If they'd let us travel on the commercial flights that are landing at Suvarnabhumi every day - we wouldn't be taking up seats either.

I will answer your question regarding alternative quarantine when you answer mine - I ask again, where have I asked Thailand to forgo quarantine?

You implied it as you made a point about it when you described your problems that you or others did not have enough days holliday. As it would cost you too much time. What other reason is there then not to come to Thailand.

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

You implied it as you made a point about it when you described your problems that you or others did not have enough days holliday. As it would cost you too much time. What other reason is there then not to come to Thailand.

He feels entitled and wants to cut to the front of the line. He left his wife and family here and now he regrets it. If he wanted to be with them he should have taken them to the UK with him. Now he complains he's not first in line. 

On 7/5/2020 at 1:32 AM, robblok said:

I implied nothing of the sort. I normally visit every 8 weeks for 2 weeks - its now been 17. Foreigners wishing to visit their wives/familes in Thailand have to apply to their Thai Embassy for a Certificate of Entry -once approved they have to go a waiting list. They have to provide Covid 19 insurance to the tune of $100,000 US. They have to join a repatriation flight and go into quarantine for 2 weeks on arrival.  For me (and many others) that would mean taking a month off work which is not possible.

The total cost would be around £3000 and then what?  When would my next trip be? There are Thai's in the UK that have been waiting to go home since April. Based on that I wouldn't get back until October if I apply now. Its not even that easy for my wife to visit me here - she has to apply to go home and join the waiting list too - she has a business to run and a child to take care of. She can't come to the UK and not get home for 4 months.

There are commercial flights landing at Suvarnabhumi every day despite what the government says -  there is no need for any foreigners to take up seats on flights that could repatriate waiting Thai's.

I would be quite happy to sign up to a promise to home quarantine at peril of a big fine/imprisonment if I broke it. Thailand will not accept home quarantine but they will accept foreign businesmen without any quarantine al all.  This situation could go on for a long time - there has to be a solution.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

The knowledge that TV members have of other people's situations and the stupid remarks they make never fails to amaze me. I did not 'leave my wife and family' there - I have to work to support them you know?  Remember work? And like your other buddy who makes claims about my requests - nowhere have I said I want to be first in line.

I can't blame her for not wanting to move to England. It wouldn't be my choice either. But being married often means sacrifices and living together is more important. My wife didn't want to move to the US and start life all over. She had a very comfortable life in Thailand and a good education, so starting over wasn't fun. We did it and were very successful in our careers and have two children. They are now very successful and enjoy visiting us in Thailand, So it's all worked out, but initially we had a lot of sacrifices.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I implied nothing of the sort. I normally visit every 8 weeks for 2 weeks - its now been 17. Foreigners wishing to visit their wives/familes in Thailand have to apply to their Thai Embassy for a Certificate of Entry -once approved they have to go a waiting list. They have to provide Covid 19 insurance to the tune of $100,000 US. They have to join a repatriation flight and go into quarantine for 2 weeks on arrival.  For me (and many others) that would mean taking a month off work which is not possible.

The total cost would be around £3000 and then what?  When would my next trip be? There are Thai's in the UK that have been waiting to go home since April. Based on that I wouldn't get back until October if I apply now. Its not even that easy for my wife to visit me here - she has to apply to go home and join the waiting list too - she has a business to run and a child to take care of. She can't come to the UK and not get home for 4 months.

There are commercial flights landing at Suvarnabhumi every day despite what the government says -  there is no need for any foreigners to take up seats on flights that could repatriate waiting Thai's.

I would be quite happy to sign up to a promise to home quarantine at peril of a big fine/imprisonment if I broke it. Thailand will not accept home quarantine but they will accept foreign businesmen without any quarantine al all.  This situation could go on for a long time - there has to be a solution.

You implied nothing of the sort and then start about home quarantine. Home quarantine does not work does not work in any country. So that really is not an option.

The insurance can't be that expensive, but yes the quarantine is expensive. So how about you visit Thailand every 16 weeks for 4 weeks ?. You got double the budget and time. It sucks but it can be done.

But covid makes it hard for all of us. So you do want to be treated special... your moaning about costs (understandable) but that is just how it is. Kinda take it or leave it. But you want it adapted (and less secure) to your  needs. 

I think you will have to accept things have changed and stop wanting it to change. It wont for some time. Plus the UK will probably be on the dangerous countries list because you guys just mess it up time and again. First you got the most cases and now your opening up without social distancing (look at the pics) so a second wave is coming. No country wants to import covid. 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, robblok said:

It sucks but it can be done.

It cannot be done - or do you know more about my job than I do? Home quarantine is not asking them to forgo quarantine. I take it you are now in Thailand - I wonder what your views would be if you couldn't see your wife.

You keep banging on about me wanting special treatment - I'm not and have never said so. I am simply saying that there are solutions. There is also nothing unworkable about home quarantine - I very much doubt people would break it if faced with a 1 million baht fine and/or 6 months in prison.

As for your comments on the UK.......'you guys' is not me and I haven't 'messed it up'- I have complied with all the lockdown rules but you are correct, the infections here are too high for UK citizens to be allowed in without quarantine. However, if you believe Thailand's figures you need help.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

The knowledge that TV members have of other people's situations and the stupid remarks they make never fails to amaze me. I did not 'leave my wife and family' there - I have to work to support them you know?  Remember work? And like your other buddy who makes claims about my requests - nowhere have I said I want to be first in line.

Part of your problem is you enter visa exempt every couple of months. That worked in the old normal, but we are in the new normal. Your visa status might effect whether you get permission or not. Certainly on visa exempt it wont work. Therefore to increase your chances yo need to find other visa choices, like ME Non O married to Thai or Elite Visa. You'd have to find out what works best for entry. Whining about not getting in visa exempt is a non starter, IMO. 

Since you are most likely working off shore with a good salary an Elite visa might be a good choice.

Your approach needs to change if you want to be successful.