Jump to content
BANGKOK
KhaoYai

Message to the Thai Authorities

Recommended Posts

Do what I'm thinking of, bring the wife to the UK for a while if they keep these ridiculous requirements.

 

I'm stuck in the UK, and I cannot go there, the only way see the wife is get her here for a while.

 

Problem is I do not know the processing time now for a visa to the UK in covid time

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Do what I'm thinking of, bring the wife to the UK for a while if they keep these ridiculous requirements.

How about applying for a settlement visa, if you can afford it, and can both see it out through citizenship.  Good investment but obviously takes perseverance.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Do what I'm thinking of, bring the wife to the UK for a while if they keep these ridiculous requirements.

 

I'm stuck in the UK, and I cannot go there, the only way see the wife is get her here for a while.

 

Problem is I do not know the processing time now for a visa to the UK in covid time

 

You can go to Thailand (if you have a Marriage certificate) or rather you can apply for a Certificate of Entry (then have to get tests, flight and do a 15 day quarantine etc). 

 

I too am stuck in the UK and initially figured I’d just move my Wife and Son to the UK. My Wife has a 10 year Visit Visa, the issue with this is the length of time she could stay here with that so we’d have to switch her to a Spouse Visa, we’d have to sell the house in BKK, Sell the car, sell loads of stuff and ship the rest. Then get a house in the UK the UK, change my Sons School from Thailand to the UK (easily doable) - ultimately it's a big step so we decided against moving back to the UK for now and may do so next year when the decision is less rushed. 

 

Instead, I’m jumping through the hoops to get back to Thailand and have submitted the application for the Certificate of Entry - no idea how long approval takes. 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Do what I'm thinking of, bring the wife to the UK for a while if they keep these ridiculous requirements.

If only it was that easy. That's exactly what I've been trying to do - are you aware of how that now works? Your Mrs can get to the UK no problem (at the moment). But for her to return to Thailand she has to apply for permission to join a repatriation flight. She can book a commercial flight but she won't be allowed on it. There are Thai's in the UK that have been waiting since April to get home - 3000+ of them apparently. They are currently only operating 2 repat flights per month so it will be a while before the queue goes down.  If your wife's OK to stay a while fine - you may need to buy her a big coat though.

 

Example of the flight complications - from my discussiions with the Thai Embassy in London and EVA Air (one of the designated repat flight operators).  Eva will let me book a flight for my wife both ways for 37,000 baht (already 12,000 more than Lufthansa). EVA know that my wife is unlikely to be able to fly home on the booked day because she has to wait for approval from the airport but they will allow free changes for up to 12 months.  I asked them "so when my wife gets approval you'll change the flight to the date the embassy gives" - "yes sir, free of charge".  The embassy class such flights as repat flights but in fact they are not special charter, they are regular commercially available flights.

 

Here's the rub. The embassy won't allow your wife to travel on the return portion of that ticket even though EVA will change it to the appoved date. The embassy stipulate that you have to book the return portion through them and you can guess what that means - 2 one way tickets, total now 37,000++++++++++

 

From an email received today:

 

Dear Sir/Madame,

 

Thank you for your inquiry about Eva ticket.  If your wife has already registered with us for repatriation flight and her turn comes, she needs to pay for a single ticket.  For her previous ticket, contact eva for refund or credit.  
 

Best regards
Consular Officer,
Royal Thai Embassy, London
29-30 Queen's Gate 
London
SW7 5JB
Tel: 02072255500

 

 

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

Several baiting and bickering posts and replies to them have been removed.

Share this post


Link to post

There are options for you guys to go to Thailand and yes there is quarantine but its for everyone so stop complaining about that one. Just be happy you can go back. 

 

KhoayYai said there are still 3000 Thais waiting so tell me why would foreigners get into Thailand before Thais. I heard this from someone who worked at the embassy too that she was surprised why foreigners complained. I mean first Thais then foreigners. 

 

I bet you would be complaining too if they let others in your home country before you. Strange that when it works the other way around people are complaining.

 

At least there are options and yes it means going through some hoops but that is unfortunately the way it is now. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe the authorities could start doing a one-for-one deal like a spy swap? If a foreigner is 'stranded' here and wants to leave, then line up a replacement foreigner overseas who wants to come back to Thailand. That would ensure the flight was full both inbound and outbound.

 

Win-win-win!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Maybe the authorities could start doing a one-for-one deal like a spy swap? If a foreigner is 'stranded' here and wants to leave, then line up a replacement foreigner overseas who wants to come back to Thailand. That would ensure the flight was full both inbound and outbound.

 

Win-win-win!

Its a priority thing. Thais are citizen and get first choice. Then falang spouses. Seems fair to me. Need health certificates and 14 day quarantine, plus health insurance. The fights will be at full cost, I would assume.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, robblok said:

There are options for you guys to go to Thailand and yes there is quarantine but its for everyone so stop complaining about that one. Just be happy you can go back.

If only it was that simple. For someone who normally lives in Thailand and was unable to return to because of the lockdown, yes they can now return - subject to conditions.  For others like myself who work outside Thailand, its virtually impossible.  I can't take a month off in order to do 2 week's quarantine + 2 weeks with my family each time I visit.

 

For offshore workers the situation is even worse. It is not possible to choose when you go to Thailand - the embassy where you apply to decides when you can fly.  Offshore workers are usually on strict rotations and would have to be very lucky that it fits with the dates given to fly.

 

Remember that we would also have to go though the Certificate of Entry every time we wish to visit our families and who knows how long this situation will last?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

If only it was that simple. For someone who normally lives in Thailand and was unable to return to because of the lockdown, yes they can now return - subject to conditions.  For others like myself who work outside Thailand, its virtually impossible.  I can't take a month off in order to do 2 week's quarantine + 2 weeks with my family each time I visit.

 

For offshore workers the situation is even worse. It is not possible to choose when you go to Thailand - the embassy where you apply to decides when you can fly.  Offshore workers are usually on strict rotations and would have to be very lucky that it fits with the dates given to fly.

 

Remember that we would also have to go though the Certificate of Entry every time we wish to visit our families and who knows how long this situation will last?

This will last as long as corvid lasts. You can't blame the government for being strict, especially for people from the UK (worst hit in Europe).

 

So basically your asking Thailand to forgo its safety so you can come back. I find that quite selfish. This is not a thing the Thai goverment came up with many countries do the same. The UK does it too. So yes it sucks, but i don't see this changing. I find these requirements perfectly reasonable all countries do it. 

 

Im sorry that it is bad for you but you can't expect this to change. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, robblok said:

So basically your asking Thailand to forgo its safety so you can come back. I find that quite selfish.

Firstly, I don't see where I've asked Thailand to forgo anything.

 

But seeing as you raise the issue, it would be helpful if Thailand could look and see if there are ways they could improve the current situation regarding entry for certain groups.  There are kids that haven't seen their fathers for months etc. etc. I know of 2 guys that haven't seen their new babies yet.

 

Further, they are not doing at all well with their repatriation flights for Thai people - flights are landing empty and yesterday I learned of empty rooms in state quarantine hotels yet there are over 3000 Thai's waiting in the UK alone.  Its not the week after lockdown, its July!

 

There's always room for improvement and there are workable solutions that don't compromise Thailand's security.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Firstly, I don't see where I've asked Thailand to forgo anything.

 

But seeing as you raise the issue, it would be helpful if Thailand could look and see if there are ways they could improve the current situation regarding entry for certain groups.  There are kids that haven't seen their fathers for months etc. etc. I know of 2 guys that haven't seen their new babies yet.

 

Further, they are not doing at all well with their repatriation flights for Thai people - flights are landing empty and yesterday I learned of empty rooms in state quarantine hotels yet there are over 3000 Thai's waiting in the UK alone.  Its not the week after lockdown, its July!

 

There's always room for improvement and there are workable solutions that don't compromise Thailand's security.

You do ask Thailand to forgo quarantine while the UK is having it.. (UK with worst cases in Europe). So it might be bad for you but its bad for all of us. This is how it is we all need to adapt. I don't think that I will see my parents this year. I just accept this as covid related.

 

You can still come to Thailand, it will just cost you more holiday time. Yes that sucks but it sucks for all of us. The 14 days is done all over the world. For you its an inconvenience not an impossibility.  I think we will all have to live with being a bit inconvenienced. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, robblok said:

You do ask Thailand to forgo quarantine while the UK is having it

1. Where?

2. The UK has lifted quarantine requirements for travellers from Thailand

 

Of course Thailand should be very wary and maintain some form of quarantine but there are potential solutions.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

1. Where?

2. The UK has lifted quarantine requirements for travellers from Thailand

 

Of course Thailand should be very wary and maintain some form of quarantine but there are potential solutions.

What solutions are there ? 

Plus why would they quarantine their own from risk area's and then let others (you) without quarantine in. 


They just like to stay in control and if it goes wrong only they are to blame. I understand that once you allow other health certificates and testing then your not sure 100% because a third party does it. Also it has to be done for many countries. It all gets complicated best to keep it the way it is this way Thailand can be sure things are done well. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...