Message to the Thai Authorities

On 7/4/2020 at 11:52 PM, KhaoYai said:

Not at all, I fully understand why Thai's would be given priority but perhaps you should consider a couple of things.

1. When a foreigner who has a wife and or family in Thailand, cannot return home - the Thai people in that family also suffer.

2. They have separate quarantine facilities for foreigners so there's no impact on returning Thai's there. If they'd let us travel on the commercial flights that are landing at Suvarnabhumi every day - we wouldn't be taking up seats either.

I will answer your question regarding alternative quarantine when you answer mine - I ask again, where have I asked Thailand to forgo quarantine?

I suggest you move your concerns to the off shore workers forum. There are undoubtedly other off shore workers with similar problems. They may share their solutions. You are talking to the wrong audience.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Got to hand it to all of you who want to see their wives.

I hated mine and would have certainly enjoyed such a long break from her.

Yeah, I almost got stuck in Cambodia, would have just moved a local girl in with me.

Thailand cured me of 'oneitis'.

(oneitis as: “An unhealthy romantic obsession or fixation for one person. This mental disease will often interfere with your ability to attract said person, due to your clinginess.”)

Edited by BritManToo
8 hours ago, checkered flag said:

Part of your problem is you enter visa exempt every couple of months. That worked in the old normal, but we are in the new normal. Your visa status might effect whether you get permission or not. Certainly on visa exempt it wont work. Therefore to increase your chances yo need to find other visa choices, like ME Non O married to Thai or Elite Visa. You'd have to find out what works best for entry. Whining about not getting in visa exempt is a non starter, IMO. 

Since you are most likely working off shore with a good salary an Elite visa might be a good choice.

Your approach needs to change if you want to be successful.

Where did I say I enter visa exempt? I have the correct visa for someone in my position - a Multi Entry Non Immigrant O Visa based on marriage to a Thai citizen obtained in Vietnam in March.

I do not work offshore, I work in the UK most of the time.  The situation for offshore workers is even worse as they have to try to get a date to fly that fits in with the date given for COE.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, checkered flag said:

I suggest you move your concerns to the off shore workers forum. There are undoubtedly other off shore workers with similar problems. They may share their solutions. You are talking to the wrong audience.

I'm not an offshore worker.

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, robblok said:

But to act as if your the only one hurt shows that your only thinking about yoruself.

Again, you are making claims about my intentions that are untrue.  There are thousands of people worldwide affected by this situation.  You might notice by the slogan I used which says Farang Wives - wives being the plural of wife - last time I looked I only had one wife. Using the plural indicates I am refering to the collective.

FYI on behalf of a group of affected foreigners I have been trying to talk with the Thai authorities - its not just about me although of course, my situation is at the front of my mind.

I would certainly comply with home quarantine and it would not require a cop on my gate - there are other ways.  Did all Thai's comply with the lockdown when it was in place? I know for sure that they didn't and they were not policed 100%.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, robblok said:

Home quarantine has failed almost everywhere. State quarantaine rules. Do you think its feasible to put a police officer at every house that is under quarantaine. I don't think so. So you do want to be treated special. Nobody gets home quarantaine and you want it that is special treatment.

You will note that business people can now apply for entry and will not be subject to quarantine. They must give a full travel itinerary, agree to be tracked etc. etc.  So Thailand can make concessions - especially when they think there's something in it for them.  I thought safety was the over-riding concern?

Surely home quarantine is better than no quarantine or does business 'kill the virus'?

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

You will note that business people can now apply for entry and will not be subject to quarantine. They must give a full travel itinerary, agree to be tracked etc. etc.  So Thailand can make concessions - especially when they think there's something in it for them.  I thought safety was the over-riding concern?

Surely home quarantine is better than no quarantine or does business 'kill the virus'?

Not business people from the UK but from safe countries.

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Again, you are making claims about my intentions that are untrue.  There are thousands of people worldwide affected by this situation.  You might notice by the slogan I used which says Farang Wives - wives being the plural of wife - last time I looked I only had one wife. Using the plural indicates I am refering to the collective.

FYI on behalf of a group of affected foreigners I have been trying to talk with the Thai authorities - its not just about me although of course, my situation is at the front of my mind.

I would certainly comply with home quarantine and it would not require a cop on my gate - there are other ways.  Did all Thai's comply with the lockdown when it was in place? I know for sure that they didn't and they were not policed 100%.

yes they did not comply and it went wrong that is why thry switched yo state quarantine.

All this time you said it was not about quarantine but in the end it was about you not wanting in stae quarantine. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

All this time you said it was not about quarantine but in the end it was about you not wanting in stae quarantine. 

Are you not a native English speaker?  Again, you are deliberately misreading what I have said. You accused me of wanting the Thai authorities to forgo quarantine. I didn't say that anywhere before and I'm not saying it now - I said there are solutions.  The solution I was meaning is Home Quarantine. Whether that works or not, it is still quarantine - its not freedom and its certainly not forgoing it.

If you wish to continually misconstrue what I say or put words in my mouth - don't bother replying. I see no point in holding a discussion with someone who deliberately misinterprets what I have said.  When you are proved wrong - be a man and admit it, don't just look for ways around it.

And by the way, where on this notice does it say that businessmen from the UK are not in the group that can enter without quarantine? Please advise - its under 'Persons with exemption or...............'

2.jpg.9dd04ae1a3f8c52e642c36e793fbae0d.jpg

• Thanks 1

Just a reminder as my guess is the majority of folks on ThaiVisa are European Whites..

Black Lives Matter...

The struggle of the poor in the US is and will be the same struggle for all in the future. This has been seen throughout history and without people going to the streets there won't be change. FTP too.

#getaclue

• Sad 2
7 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Are you not a native English speaker?  Again, you are deliberately misreading what I have said. You accused me of wanting the Thai authorities to forgo quarantine. I didn't say that anywhere before and I'm not saying it now - I said there are solutions.  The solution I was meaning is Home Quarantine. Whether that works or not, it is still quarantine - its not freedom and its certainly not forgoing it.

If you wish to continually misconstrue what I say or put words in my mouth - don't bother replying. I see no point in holding a discussion with someone who deliberately misinterprets what I have said.  When you are proved wrong - be a man and admit it, don't just look for ways around it.

And by the way, where on this notice does it say that businessmen from the UK are not in the group that can enter without quarantine? Please advise - its under 'Persons with exemption or...............'

You are wasting your time asking for special treatment. It's more like whining than being constructive. If you want to be with wifey you need to look elsewhere. Coming here to spend two weeks alone in quarantine doesn't sound like a winner, unless you plan to spend > 2 weeks in Thailand. The new normal wont work with your plans.

Just send her a lot of money and talk on Skype. 

• Sad 1
8 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

No I have not proven wrong I was right about it you just be a man and admit it. You don't want the mandatory state quarantine. You want a to your wishes adapted quarantine. Totally not the same thing. Thais coming back have to go to state quarantine because people otherwise go out. So you feel special and entitled while their own countrymen cant have what you want. 

Quarantine is not quarantine one works the other does not as people dont follow the rules. 

Im done I have been proven right no wonder you were so hesitant with giving your solution. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
13 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

KhaoYai, i understand your frustration but on the home quarantine point.

Unfortunately they need to put everyone in the same bracket. Yes 98% of those asked to home quarantine would observe it, sadly they need to cater to the lowest common denominator which is that some would not. I am sure there are ways around it by tracking apps, etc but right now the relatively low amount of people in this group is not top of the agenda.

Remember some people also don't have the option to home quarantine, perhaps they live in houses with multiple people who need to go out to work etc.

For you coming home for a few weeks, or a month quarantining with your family is no issue, however for others it would not be possible, so really state quarantine is the only workable solution.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Sorry but your chances went to Zero. The UK just announced starting July 10th, requires Thais and presumably those visiting from Thailand to quarantine for 14 days. So if they would let you in there would be a 14 quarantine on both ends. Would that work for you? If traveling together they might consider quarantining together, but not if coming by yourself. That makes it a none started except those who plan to come/go long term. On the other hand it should reduce birth rates.

image.png

6 hours ago, smutcakes said:

KhaoYai, i understand your frustration but on the home quarantine point.

Unfortunately they need to put everyone in the same bracket. Yes 98% of those asked to home quarantine would observe it, sadly they need to cater to the lowest common denominator which is that some would not. I am sure there are ways around it by tracking apps, etc but right now the relatively low amount of people in this group is not top of the agenda.

Remember some people also don't have the option to home quarantine, perhaps they live in houses with multiple people who need to go out to work etc.

For you coming home for a few weeks, or a month quarantining with your family is no issue, however for others it would not be possible, so really state quarantine is the only workable solution.

Could you explain to me how for instance KhaoYai his home quarantine would work.

He is at home do you really think he would stay seperated from his wife ? Stay locked up in a room and take food from her. What i think is more likely is that he would roam freely in the house possibly infecting his wife. His wife who is not in quarantine would go out and infect others. 

Home quarantine does not mean just staying at home it would still mean you can't be with your wife anyway. I doubt anyone would be able to really do this.

I get his frustration but home quarantine does not really work. I think your 98% is wrong Id say 2% would be able to do it. I am not talking about staying at home but staying at home and having no contact with the other inhabitants of the home who do go out. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Could you explain to me how for instance KhaoYai his home quarantine would work.

He is at home do you really think he would stay seperated from his wife ? Stay locked up in a room and take food from her. What i think is more likely is that he would roam freely in the house possibly infecting his wife. His wife who is not in quarantine would go out and infect others. 

Home quarantine does not mean just staying at home it would still mean you can't be with your wife anyway. I doubt anyone would be able to really do this.

I get his frustration but home quarantine does not really work. I think your 98% is wrong Id say 2% would be able to do it. I am not talking about staying at home but staying at home and having no contact with the other inhabitants of the home who do go out. 

I was assuming they would all quarantine together for 2 weeks. For him if they planned i suppose it could be done. Very difficult for most Thai families outside of a few wealthy ones. I know a guy who flew back to England with his family from BKK last week, and he is home quarantining with his parents!

3 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

I was assuming they would all quarantine together for 2 weeks. For him if they planned i suppose it could be done. Very difficult for most Thai families outside of a few wealthy ones. I know a guy who flew back to England with his family from BKK last week, and he is home quarantining with his parents!

Ok sure yes then everyone would have to stay home, but if there is a kid that needs to go to school or a wife that needs to take care of family its impossible. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Ok sure yes then everyone would have to stay home, but if there is a kid that needs to go to school or a wife that needs to take care of family its impossible. 

The rules are defined by the government and available on line.  They may be a compromise from the ideal but they are what they are, and if they allow a kid to go to school then that's fine.

4 minutes ago, treetops said:

The rules are defined by the government and available on line.  They may be a compromise from the ideal but they are what they are, and if they allow a kid to go to school then that's fine.

The rules are that nobody gets home quarantine. So if you even want to consider it then you cannot have kids going to school. IF home quarantine that means that nobody in the household can come out. Kids includes. 

Believe me that is not going to happen. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I appreciate what you are saying but unfortunately for me and many others such as offshore workers any form of quarantine away from our wives or families won't work.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

The rules are that nobody gets home quarantine. So if you even want to consider it then you cannot have kids going to school. IF home quarantine that means that nobody in the household can come out. Kids includes. 

Again, you know nothing of my or other people's situations.  Even though I have a stepson who is going to school, I could visit my wife without the need for either of us to come into contact with him for a couple of weeks.

4 hours ago, robblok said:

As you are continually speculating - I'll tell you exactly why you are wrong.  My home is at Khao Yai, my wife lives in Korat with her son.  If I arrived in Thailand and was in home quarantine, my wife and I would stay at Khao Yai together and her mother would take care of her son. It is perfectly possible for me or anyone else for that matter to quarantine together without the need to come into contact with anyone else. Once again, because you imagine everyone's situation as you think, you are wrong.

Quarantine is exactly what is says on the tin - its isolation from others. If a person cannot isolate at home then they should not be granted home quarantine but why not allow their wives to join them in ASQ from day 1?

What I find totally wrong is that people with wives and familes are made to quarantine yet foreign businessmen are allowed to visit without quarantine. What guarantee is there that they won't spread the virus? None! Money No.1

Edited by KhaoYai
11 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

As you are continually speculating - I'll tell you exactly why you are wrong.  My home is at Khao Yai, my wife lives in Korat with her son.  If I arrived in Thailand and was in home quarantine, my wife and I would stay at Khao Yai together and her mother would take care of her son. It is perfectly possible for me or anyone else for that matter to quarantine together without the need to come into contact with anyone else. Once again, because you imagine everyone's situation as you think, you are wrong.

Quarantine is exactly what is says on the tin - its isolation from others. If a person cannot isolate at home then they should not be granted home quarantine but why not allow their wives to join them in ASQ from day 1?

What I find totally wrong is that people with wives and familes are made to quarantine yet foreign businessmen are allowed to visit without quarantine. What guarantee is there that they won't spread the virus? None! Money No.1

These people come from low risk countries. I dont like that much either. But home quarantine does just not work its again an extra risk. 

Also normal Thais from risk countries quarantine. Until that changes i feel you have no rights either. Sorry for beimg harsh. My parent come without quarantine either. So i dont see why extra risk should be taken just for guys with Thai wives given that even normal Thais dont get home quarantine.

@ robblok and KhaoYai... 

I think there is another reasonable solution. 

Those who have returned have had to take a Covid-19 test less than 72 hrs prior to boarding. 

Upon entry to Thailand, returnees are tested for Covid-19 again and then have to isolate in a quarantine hotel until their test results are available. If negative, a further Covid-19 test is taken. Track and Trace is also used - just incase someone slips through the gaps. 

The returnee then isolates at home for two weeks, with family if they so wish. 

The Wife / family also have to isolate but have to continue to socially isolate - 2m from anyone else, wear mask and gloves. 

This is not as water tight as the full on 15 day State Quarantine and ASQ - but really, how significant is the additional risk? 

I know there have been stories of ‘Covid-19’ slipping through gaps the Quarantine fence, there was the story of ‘lighter use’ and Covid-19 spread at a Melbourne Quarantine hotel etc... and these stories will continue.... 

But what extra risk is there really ???? - I wonder in sight of balance and common sense has not been lost of hysteria, panic and everyone feeding off the media frenzy who in turn are feeding of people paranoia. 

Edited by richard_smith237
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

@ robblok and KhaoYai... 

I think there is another reasonable solution. 

Those who have returned have had to take a Covid-19 test less than 72 hrs prior to boarding. 

Upon entry to Thailand, returnees are tested for Covid-19 again and then have to isolate in a quarantine hotel until their test results are available. If negative, a further Covid-19 test is taken. Track and Trace is also used - just incase someone slips through the gaps. 

The returnee then isolates at home for two weeks, with family if they so wish. 

The Wife / family also have to isolate but have to continue to socially isolate - 2m from anyone else, wear mask and gloves. 

This is not as water tight as the full on 15 day State Quarantine and ASQ - but really, how significant is the additional risk? 

I know there have been stories of ‘Covid-19’ slipping through gaps the Quarantine fence, there was the story of ‘lighter use’ and Covid-19 spread at a Melbourne Quarantine hotel etc... and these stories will continue.... 

But what extra risk is there really ???? - I wonder in sight of balance and common sense has not been lost of hysteria, panic and everyone feeding off the media frenzy who in turn are feeding of people paranoia. 

Sure that would be a way but then it should be available to everyone and at cost of the person who requests its.  But those tests would make the chance a lot less already. So that would certainly be acceptable.