New​ requirements requested from embassy to return

54 minutes ago, BritTim said:

First, I agree that the requirement for health certificates on application is dubious, especially as quarantine is required on entry as well. I can find justifications, but I suspect the real reason is that they want to limit the number applying to only those absolutely determined to return.

I am pretty sure this is a global requirement. The MFA is not willing, at this stage, to vary the rules by country. Possibly, they may look less closely at the health certificates when you are coming from a safe country. There is a decent chance that there will eventually be a travel bubble between New Zealand and Thailand, but I do not get the feeling you want to wait months in the hope it will happen.

EDIT: A possible legitimate justification for health certificates ahead of time is that the MFA wants to ensure they are adequate, on the assumption that the updated certificates before travel will be similar. Dubious, but not completely absurd.

Good positive points, thanks for these. 

40 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

so you now need two tests for covid, 1 for apply and 1 before fly ? Getting silly now

Going to test the water bring my wife to the uk for a few months, Thailand is dissapearing up its own bottom in paperwork currently.

Yeah roger that, re all. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

so you now need two tests for covid, 1 for apply and 1 before fly ? Getting silly now

Going to test the water bring my wife to the uk for a few months, Thailand is dissapearing up its own bottom in paperwork currently.

The UK has just lifted quarantine restrictions for arrivals from 50 or so countries, but Thailand isn't on the list even though it has controlled Covid pretty well.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, dbrenn said:

The UK has just lifted quarantine restrictions for arrivals from 50 or so countries, but Thailand isn't on the list even though it has controlled Covid pretty well.

That says it all eh. 

• Like 1

In Canada and the same. Need to get the tests done twice. The Fit to Fly is easy. The covid19 gets a little tricky as provincial governments are trying to ramp up testing and it is slowing down the result times.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Richard, I have all but lost hope in returning when the requirements are bewildering as if there were flights entering LOS anyway. Like you, I would love to have my wife come to UK but could she return. ?

• Like 1

To the OP I was informed in the last week by a Thai Official in the Embassy where I am that docs rferred to are not required for MoFA consideration so either possibly there is inconsistent information from Embassies or it is a 'new' requirement. Has your application been forwarded to MoFA?

2 hours ago, dbrenn said:

netherlands as well must have upset someone  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Guderian said:

Good luck with getting any certificate within 72 hours in advance of flying in the UK, the system simply isn't designed for it.

Same in most European countries I would think. You wouldn't get an appointment even privately in that timescale. Let's face it I you aren't here, or if you are and leave or have to leave Thailand doesn't really want you back any time soon even with family here.

These requirements are designed for the super rich and corporate employees whose employers have access to this stuff can provide the insurance required too and all done for you on the company ticket. The rest of us?Not for sometime yet.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BritTim said:

First, I agree that the requirement for health certificates on application is dubious, especially as quarantine is required on entry as well. I can find justifications, but I suspect the real reason is that they want to limit the number applying to only those absolutely determined to return.

I am pretty sure this is a global requirement. The MFA is not willing, at this stage, to vary the rules by country. Possibly, they may look less closely at the health certificates when you are coming from a safe country. There is a decent chance that there will eventually be a travel bubble between New Zealand and Thailand, but I do not get the feeling you want to wait months in the hope it will happen.

EDIT: A possible legitimate justification for health certificates ahead of time is that the MFA wants to ensure they are adequate, on the assumption that the updated certificates before travel will be similar. Dubious, but not completely absurd.

Additional conditions appears to the global norm for foreigners wanting to enter Thailand in the window starting 1/july. Quite a few more hoops to jump through to make it.

I am struggling that we have to reserve ASQ & flight ticket (not a booking) as a pre-requisite for applying at the embassy for certificate of entry (CoE). once application has been submitted, being told this can take 10-14 days. most of the ASQ's are non-changeable/non-refundable.

By the time we obtain the CoE (10-14 day lead time), fit to fly & C19 test not older than 72 hours attested by the embassy, there is a high possibility to change date for ASQ or flights. How do we handle this, given ASQ bookings are not changeble/refundable?

Or Am i missing anything that others are seeing? 

looking forward to what you guys have learned from other locations

15 hours ago, dbrenn said:

UK picked the countries throwing darts on a map of the world. They even excluded Portugal which has had very few Covid-19 cases. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rimmae2 said:

To the OP I was informed in the last week by a Thai Official in the Embassy where I am that docs rferred to are not required for MoFA consideration so either possibly there is inconsistent information from Embassies or it is a 'new' requirement. Has your application been forwarded to MoFA?

Thanks for this information. I've always been aware each embassy has their own play book, over the last 3 months on periodically requesting answers and updates from the NZ embassy in Wellington I'm told "we will inform you". Sadly they haven't been. I liken their demand of the pre application tests akin to swatting away a bothersome fly.  

23 hours ago, dbrenn said:

The UK haven't decided just on the covid situation, other factors have been taken into consideration, particularly a reciprocal agreement.

Greece has also been excluded until they approve an agreement, probably on July 15th.

China's exclusion is probably political more than anything else. Hong Kongers however, a different story altogether.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

The UK haven't decided just on the covid situation, other factors have been taken into consideration, particularly a reciprocal agreement.

Greece has also been excluded until they approve an agreement, probably on July 15th.

China's exclusion is probably political more than anything else. Hong Kongers however, a different story altogether.

Places like Japan and New Zealand (included on the quarantine exemption list) forbid entry to travellers from the UK. There is no reciprocal agreement. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Max69xl said:

UK picked the countries throwing darts on a map of the world. They even excluded Portugal which has had very few Covid-19 cases. 

Indeed. The UK government is a shambles. 

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Denim said:

Who actually issues these Covid free and fit to fly certificates ?

A doctor or hospital would issue them. They are required to get the certificate of entry form a embassy or official consulate.

21 minutes ago, Denim said:

Does the Thai Embassy or MFA specify what is acceptable and what is not ?

The embassy complies with what the MFA requires.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Four tests:

1 on application

1 72 hours before departure

1 on arrival in Thailand

1 on last day or quarantine

I am hearing same thing regarding COE for medical care - need the test results to apply and then again 72 hours before travelling plus will be done on arrival etc

I agree it is compete overkill

I suspect with time they wil find  that few people are coming, and also get negative feedback from Embassies o nthe convoluted-ness of the process and things may improve

Please provide evidence from an official source that on application as stated below is required and from when this requirement was introduced:

1 on application

21 hours ago, rct99q said:

In Canada and the same. Need to get the tests done twice. The Fit to Fly is easy. The covid19 gets a little tricky as provincial governments are trying to ramp up testing and it is slowing down the result times.

I know what the COVID test is... But what the heck exactly is a "fit to fly" certificate?

14 hours ago, Elkski said:

this 72 hours  before  final approval?  and 72 hours before boarding.   please explain how this is all possible.   Book airlines,  doctor, hope for 72 hour test results.  dp they use a test swan time  stamp or emailed results time  stamp.  obviously the rule makers are not people who ever have to worry about the pretty details in life

This was heavily highlighted by myself when earlier threads appeared over likely future requirements as part of overall general entry.

In the UK you simply have absolutely no chance of doing it within the timescales they expect. No chance. Wont be happening this decade

12 hours ago, mjakob007 said:

Additional conditions appears to the global norm for foreigners wanting to enter Thailand in the window starting 1/july. Quite a few more hoops to jump through to make it.

I am struggling that we have to reserve ASQ & flight ticket (not a booking) as a pre-requisite for applying at the embassy for certificate of entry (CoE). once application has been submitted, being told this can take 10-14 days. most of the ASQ's are non-changeable/non-refundable.

By the time we obtain the CoE (10-14 day lead time), fit to fly & C19 test not older than 72 hours attested by the embassy, there is a high possibility to change date for ASQ or flights. How do we handle this, given ASQ bookings are not changeble/refundable?

Or Am i missing anything that others are seeing? 

looking forward to what you guys have learned from other locations

I’m in Sri Lanka. On my application form I wrote “I’ll book flights and asq when I get my Cert. of Entry”. My application was submitted 3 weeks ago. Still waiting to hear...

Don’t pay for ASQ or flights until you get your Certificate. Getting your money back could be a problem!

1 hour ago, rimmae2 said:

Please provide evidence from an official source that on application as stated below is required and from when this requirement was introduced:

1 on application

It is being required by many of the entities (overseas Embassies/Consulates and private hospitals) who process these applications as many posters in this thread have described.

Without their assistance it is not possible to apply. So whether or not they are correctly applying the criteria is rather a moot point.

There seems to be an overall lack of clarity as to documentation requirements and steps in the process. Par for the course with new Thai govt rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1