Hong Kong man accused of terrorism in first use of new China security law

rooster59

The Russian and Chinese system of Gulags and punishment since their Communist inception should be studied and taught in Western schools throughout the world so people can get an idea what is in store with these types of dicatorships.

Edited by tlandtday
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

I did not experience any herding when I was a tourist a couple of years ago. I walked around every location I stayed at, through the byways and local parks, taking photos of anything that grabbed my interest and attention, and poking my nose here and there. I booked my own hotels through the internet, using my own personal laptop which I always include in my suitcase or backpack whenever I travel overseas.

I traveled by local buses or taxis, or simply walking. One of the hotels I stayed at, in Huangshan near the Yellow Mountains, was a small but very nice family run business. The owner was very friendly and helpful and drove me around to many of near-by sites that I wanted to visit.

However, one thing that annoyed me was the discovery that I couldn't access Google on my laptop. But that was a short-lived problem. I found someone who was able to install VPN (Virtual Private Network) on my laptop.

That's the sort of thing that also occurs in Australia, through Google and Facebook and other means, although I accept that the Chinese might be doing that more efficiently and comprehensively, as they do with most things. ????

For example, if I do a search on the internet in Australia, say for reviews of a particular model of camera, or the best price, the next time I visit the ThaiVisa site I'll see ads popping up frequently for the same and similar models of camera.

A degree of surveillance and monitoring are required to reduce crime and corruption and keep the public safe. If you are not misbehaving, why should you worry?

No, advertising is not the same as snooping for political dissenters. The definition of "misbehaving" seems to be a rather wide brush one when it comes to the PRC authorities.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

We did in the past. We even burnt people alive and pulled their limbs apart if they disagreed with the religious/government views.

The Chinese government currently seems very much against the spread of Islam, and I think the treatment of a certain number of Uighurs in certain camps might be unfair and reprehensible, but I don't have all the facts. One shouldn't automatically trust the news reports.

In any case, Islam is a major problem in many countries, and I'm not surprised that China is addressing the issue before it becomes a major problem in their own country.

We are not living in the past, and this topic is about current affairs. Lame deflection dully noted. "Don't have all the facts", "shouldn't automatically trust the news reports", and "a certain number of Uighurs" - that's not even a good shot at minimizing and ignoring the issue. But anyway, seems like it doesn't matter much as the people targeted are Muslims - nice one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

One should always address the cause of a misdemeanor. Was the driving reckless because the person was drunk, or was he just an unskilled driver without a license, or was it a deliberate attempt to cause mayhem for the purpose of a political protest which could endanger people's lives.

I suspect all these factors with be considered during the trial.

I suspect your apparent trust in the PRC's legal system is misplaced.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Morch said:

And no, the way the PRC deals with some of its minority groups got little to do with "concerns". I think it's gone quite a ways beyond concern, by now.

... or maybe "concentrate"

- as in Soylent Green

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 12:23 PM, Eric Loh said:

Don’t see that in Lafayette Square where peaceful protestors were manhandled and tear gassed. 

Eric, anyone can be prosecuted using this law. As soon as you enter Hong Kong, you could be arrested on terrorism charges for merely criticising the CCP. 

Your defence of the CCP is absolutely vulgar and abhorrent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1