Meat Pies

pineapple01

Can someone recommend a good place i can drive to, load up couple a dozen and get out fast before my lungs collapse. After the best Ozz Quality you know. Non Frozens Ok, only 2 hrs on Hi Way back home. Last lot were a Joke,and a Ferang newish shop whats more!.

The only Oz type pies I know about in Chiang Mai, are "Lady pies"

made by a Australian woman in Phuket,available at RimPing

Supermarkets frozen.have not tried them myself as dont like

the flaky crust.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

The only Oz type pies I know about in Chiang Mai, are "Lady pies"

made by a Australian woman in Phuket,available at RimPing

Supermarkets frozen.have not tried them myself as dont like

the flaky crust.

regards worgeordie

The ones i got last time had nice Pastry but minced meat  and strange curry tint Son bought them and cant remember Shops name. The ones  i had at the Red Lion years ago were passable.

I use these guys for quite a lot of stuff. Really good pies. Not the cheapest but they are well made with real ingredients. I had a quick look at their FAQ and they deliver to Chiang Mai. 500B. So if the order is big enough probably not to bad. 

Beef, Red Wine and Muchroom is my favourite. Their bacon is pretty decent as well if you like English back bacon. They also sell their products in Villa Market (Not sure if they have an outlet in Chiang Mai)

https://www.sloanes.co.th/product-category/pies/

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

The ones i got last time had nice Pastry but minced meat  and strange curry tint Son bought them and cant remember Shops name. The ones  i had at the Red Lion years ago were passable.

Their meat and potato i tried are not bad. Not bad meaning 1-10 a 5 or a 6. 

• Like 1

Sausage King in CM.

Makes Pies, British Type, half a dozen varieties, the best dry cured bacon in Thailand and Sausages, not to mention over a dozen curries and for the yanks a Jimmy Dean that the US embassy in Bangkok orders.

john

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

I use these guys for quite a lot of stuff. Really good pies. Not the cheapest but they are well made with real ingredients. I had a quick look at their FAQ and they deliver to Chiang Mai. 500B. So if the order is big enough probably not to bad. 

Beef, Red Wine and Muchroom is my favourite. Their bacon is pretty decent as well if you like English back bacon. They also sell their products in Villa Market (Not sure if they have an outlet in Chiang Mai)

Not that all English-style pies are bad but clicking through to their website it was immediately clear that they sell English pies and not Australian pies. 

Australian pies and sausage rolls use puff pastry pastry versus a different type used by the English. 

7 minutes ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

Make your own. Not hard to make Beef pies, beef and mushroom. Sausage rolls and pasties.

Make own pastry can use puff sheets from Yok if you like flaky top.

????????????pies

Yes I do make my own meat pies as well easy to make

8 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

Sloane's products are available at Rimping. Only tried the sausages, but they were good ????

• Like 1

Try the Aussie meat pies from "Lanna Patisserie (Quiche Pie เค้กผลไม้สด ชีสทาร์ตผลไม้สด เค้กดอกไม้สด)" in San Sai. The owners are a lovely Thai couple, English speaking (the staff don't speak English but are kind folks nevertheless). Highly recommend their cakes as well, works of art those things are. They'll even deliver everything to your face in their cute van for the same price as the equivalent Grab ride. I believe they also have a Sunday stall at Baan Kang Wat.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 1:50 PM, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

Make your own. Not hard to make Beef pies, beef and mushroom. Sausage rolls and pasties.

Make own pastry can use puff sheets from Yok if you like flaky top.

????????????pies

Totally agree....  I'm an American and I do occasionally like a good pie. I make my own as I agree, not too difficult to make. Also you know how fresh the ingredients are as well as the quality.

On 7/4/2020 at 1:08 PM, lordblackader said:

Not that all English-style pies are bad but clicking through to their website it was immediately clear that they sell English pies and not Australian pies. 

Australian pies and sausage rolls use puff pastry pastry versus a different type used by the English. 

You are correct of course but beggars cant be choosers sometimes. Pastry type aside i think the fillings are pretty much the same. Hence no Soi Dogs near to their factory. 

• Haha 2

On 7/4/2020 at 12:03 PM, jonwilly said:

Sausage King in CM.

Makes Pies, British Type, half a dozen varieties, the best dry cured bacon in Thailand and Sausages, not to mention over a dozen curries and for the yanks a Jimmy Dean that the US embassy in Bangkok orders.

john

I've got to admit their sausages are great especially the Indian ones, I believe you can buy direct from them at their factory a lot cheaper.

As for meat pies I used to buy them from various places but not no more, the midget can make for me I like the meat and onion she does and cheaper

Mrs P has formulated a A find a Pie Solution. When the China Pox hes died down, a drive up to CM area , visit your recommendations to spot the good stuff.Take the Boats plug in Mini Freezbox then drive home next Day. My Midget runs a Company so im not loading her with My cant stand Thai food problem. Theres a big Hotell near Rimpling im told.

lady pie are the best I have tasted in Thailand, the aussie meat pie, and the steak & kidney pies are great as are the aussie pasties, they are better than a lot in Australia.

Australian meat pies are very different from traditional UK meat pies so people raised on one or the other may not immediately like the other option. I personally don't like Australian meat pies that much, the ratio of crust to filling is hard to get used to as is the soupy centre, but each to their own tastes of course and what they are used to. 

5 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Australian meat pies are very different from traditional UK meat pies so people raised on one or the other may not immediately like the other option. I personally don't like Australian meat pies that much, the ratio of crust to filling is hard to get used to as is the soupy centre, but each to their own tastes of course and what they are used to. 

True that, ive tried UK pies both here and in the UK and they are ordinary at best.

• Like 1