Buddha Booze-free weekend

2long

I could go to 7Eleven and ask them which days beer is allowed to be sold, but then you guys wouldn't get the chance to improve your TVF ratings by answering my thread! ???????????? Thank me later.

I was under the impression that today (Saturday 4th) and tomorrow (Sunday 5th) were the Buddhist (dry) days and Monday & Tuesday were office holidays in lieu of the weekend. Then someone told me that Sunday & Monday were dry for Buddha, which I Googled and believed to be true. then someone ELSE said it's S&S dry, M&T ok.

Edited by 2long
spellin' mishtake

as i mentioned on another thread ....  7-11 staff haven't a clue what days they cannot sell. They obviously find out at the last minute.

It's definitely no sell today ( Saturday )   

Sunday -  no confirmation as yet .... my guess is no sell.

Monday -  maybe ok can sell

Tues -  maybe ok can sell  

Holidays in Thailand are often at week-ends. The following days after that particular w/e are then regarded as w/e days. So!! This Saturday (today) and tomorrow are beer-free holidays (although I'm not sure about Lao khao). Monday is the new Saturday and Tuesday the new Sunday (for next week only).

My daughter explained it to me when I asked why she was off school til Wednesday.

25 minutes ago, steven100 said:

as i mentioned on another thread ....  7-11 staff haven't a clue what days they cannot sell. They obviously find out at the last minute.

Both my local booze shops are open and selling today, just got back!

IMG_20200704_090359.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Holidays in Thailand are often at week-ends. The following days after that particular w/e are then regarded as w/e days. So!! This Saturday (today) and tomorrow are beer-free holidays (although I'm not sure about Lao khao). Monday is the new Saturday and Tuesday the new Sunday (for next week only).

My daughter explained it to me when I asked why she was off school til Wednesday.

Thanks Owl, but I hope your daughter doesn't drink, or buy it for you. ????

You're correct about that being the reason for schools starting on Wednesday, because we have 2 extra days off in lieu of the two Buddhist holidays, but as far as I know (thanks to Google) tomorrow is Asarahahrahaharaha day, and Monday Buddhist Lent (Khao Pan Sa), then Tuesday is in lieu of Sunday. Therefore, booze should be allowed today but not Monday.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 2long said:

Thanks Owl, but I hope your daughter doesn't drink, or buy it for you. ????

You're correct about that being the reason for schools starting on Wednesday, because we have 2 extra days off in lieu of the two Buddhist holidays, but as far as I know (thanks to Google) tomorrow is Asarahahrahaharaha day, and Monday Buddhist Lent (Khao Pan Sa), then Tuesday is in lieu of Sunday. Therefore, booze should be allowed today but not Monday.

I don't drink 2long. When I say I don't drink, I mean I don't drink for pleasure. I drink Lao Khao reishi wine for medicinal reasons.

As for holidays; I'm all for them. There are days off all round the world for strange reasons. International women's day. Thanksgiving. Easter. Christmas. Halloween. Then there are the religious holidays. Too numerous to mention them all; even if I could.

I'm just going with the flow for the next 4 days.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

Sunday -  no confirmation as yet .... my guess is no sell.

Monday -  maybe ok can sell

Tues -  maybe ok can sell  

Just been to 7/11 now, no sales ^^ 

22 minutes ago, kralledr said:

Just been to 7/11 now, no sales ^^ 

Sent the  missus to Foodland for some stuff so I can make a Pavlova this afternoon and she came back with 2 bottles of JD, so Foodland is selling.

something up with your 7/11 then as it aint a booze ban day.

My second-choice 7Eleven sold it, although only one of their cash registers would allow the scanning of it. Weird, but I have refreshments for the evening.

Actually, I'm surprised that some of the 'I don't drink, and can't understand why others do, they must be alcoholics' brigade haven't jumped in this thread like they did in April.

The mini marts which operate inside condo complexes are confusing with their rules. Sometimes, they are the only stores selling alcohol, but I have seen notable exceptions. Are they paying someone off or just exempt from the rules?

1 hour ago, 2long said:

My 7/Eleven said no. ????
I might try some others, or just buy a box of 12 from the wholesaler.

There is a wholesaler on Thepprasit which seems to sell all the time.

It´s no alcohol for sale sunday and monday. Okay! Can we close this <deleted> thread now, that only feeds the alcoholic guys that lack the knowledge to plan their life. Or maybe Thai Visa is aiming for a status to be filed in the same box.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

will treat it like a typical Sunday, a big leo or 3 whilst I cook a chook on the /BBQ.

You ?

3 or 4 60 ML of any good single malt in the evening is the norm.

3 hours ago, 2long said:

My second-choice 7Eleven sold it, although only one of their cash registers would allow the scanning of it. Weird, but I have refreshments for the evening.

Actually, I'm surprised that some of the 'I don't drink, and can't understand why others do, they must be alcoholics' brigade haven't jumped in this thread like they did in April.

I'm surprised you can only buy alcohol from 7-11.

The booze shops and mom and pop stores on every corner are cheaper and open for sales all the time.

You don't need to be scared of interacting with normal Thai shopkeepers you know, they don't bite foreigners.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm surprised you can only buy alcohol from 7-11.

The booze shops and mom and pop stores on every corner are cheaper and open for sales all the time.

You don't need to be scared of interacting with normal Thai shopkeepers you know, they don't bite foreigners.

I drink Heineken, and not so many local shops sell it near me. And those who do, charge more than 7Eleven. Yes, I'd like to help local business, but seeing as you go out of your way to save 4B, I'm sure you understand.

I have no problem interacting with locals, as I've been here more than 20 years.