Return to Thai from Australia on Retirement / Extension of Stay on AO Visa.

I like many other Expats are stuck in their home countries and wanting to return as soon as possible to their families in Thailand. I have lived in Phuket Thailand for 13 years at the same address in a defacto relationship using the monthly 65.000 baht plus method. No problems until Virus. I departed Thailand on 3/2/2020 on a muliple re-entry permit. My Extension of Stay issued in Thailand based on an OA Visa issued in Australia expires on 23rd August 2020. I would like to get back before then. I see that Australia may be included in the Travel bubble. If all this occurs before my expiry date.. My questions are.. Do I now require Insurance to re-enter Thailand. Do I need a Fit to Fly certificate. Are there any other requirements so far announced for me to re-enter. Sound advice would be appreciated. Appears to be still confusing and Thai decisions not firm yet. Cheers. 

40 minutes ago, dutchweller said:

Im married to a Thai with a Thai child
I contacted the Thai consulate and was given the list of requirements prior to going its not easy at all.

• Need flights booked prior to applying
  • need Covid insurance ( cannot buy in Australia No insurer will do it) I contacted the insurance counsel of Australia and they confirmed it.
  • Need to Book covid ISO hotel prior to applying
  • Need to have Covid free cert and fit to fly cert that you can get but would require 3 doctors visit and a referral to get the covid test.

So basally its near impossible..

I contacted the Thai consulate and the lady said she understood it was very difficult but "off the record" she said "I would wait 2 weeks IT WILL CHANGE SOON"

She said just wait it will be cheaper and much easier soon.

So, you're saying that no one can get a travel insurance covering $100,000 incl. Covid-19 in Australia? 

42 minutes ago, dutchweller said:

Im married to a Thai with a Thai child
I contacted the Thai consulate and was given the list of requirements prior to going its not easy at all.

• Need flights booked prior to applying
  • need Covid insurance ( cannot buy in Australia No insurer will do it) I contacted the insurance counsel of Australia and they confirmed it.
  • Need to Book covid ISO hotel prior to applying
  • Need to have Covid free cert and fit to fly cert that you can get but would require 3 doctors visit and a referral to get the covid test.

So basally its near impossible..

I contacted the Thai consulate and the lady said she understood it was very difficult but "off the record" she said "I would wait 2 weeks IT WILL CHANGE SOON"

She said just wait it will be cheaper and much easier soon.

Nothing will happen in 2 weeks. As long as the Emergency decree is still in effect the requirements won't change a bit. 

I am married to a Thai Lady and have been talking with the Thai Embassy in Sydney. I followed the procedure and got to the point of having the 1st Covid Test for the application and then..... A point to note: If you apply and are in Oz on an Australian working VISA (I have a 482 VISA) It must have a minimum validity on the VISA of 6 months, mine has less and expires in 2.5 months so that stopped everything. No way to go ahead, i tried everything i could think of. I couldn't make the application. If you are a Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident you can apply based on having a Thai spouse following the procedure to the letter. That includes buying a Flight Ticket to include with the application (which i see isn't the case in the UK list or Philipines). Medical Insurance is a no go in Australia, you have to arrange it in Thailand or via another Country. When you ask makes sure you tell them it must be Covid 19 compliant for Thailand (min. $100000 USD) and that its accepted by Thai Immigration. Get them to confirm it in writing so its clear. Minimum Term is 12 months. AXA Thailand and Pacific Cross offer a Covid 19 Policy for sure as i have quotes. AXA gives you a statement confirming its Covid 19 compliant for Thailand, Pacfic Cross gave me a written confirmation it is Covid 19 Compliant and there literature confirms it. You must clarify these points when initially asking. If not you might have a problem getting on the plane and at Thai immigration. Best to get a copy of the Policy and confirmations in English and Thai. 

A Covid Test in Australia to get a certificate is easy. if you get a referal from your doctor, pay your money to private a patholgy approved company in 3 working days its done. I cant tell you about the certificate to fly as i didn't get that far. 

This is my experience to date. Being patient to see my next opportunity to get this done.

3 hours ago, dutchweller said:

Insurers in Australia yes As far as I could gather

You could get Insurance from Thailand but would need to read the fine print very carefully.

This needs to be checked carefully, some insurance companies are open about your country location when you buy the policy and/or start the journey. Others have a different attitude, e.g. policy cannot be bought in a country different to departure country.

Also, for Australian citizens at the moment it's still necessary to get permission from Aust. government to leave Australia (not sure about about Australian permanent residents).