Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai

Isan Farang

I travel every month from Ubon to CR, and need to take two flights.

I have now observed Nok Air have a direct flight Ubon to CM, just checking for info on how to get to CR from the airport. I have been told the green bus company does this run but have no idea whare the bus leaves from.

I also have my own vehicle that is based in CR so if safe undercover parking was available around the airport area this could also be a option. 

Can you let me know if i am correct here  - FYI i have never been in CM before

When i arrive at the airport i need to get transport to take me to the green bus station, around how far is this ?

I am in CR at present and i assume i would be able to go to the green bus station office and purchase the required tickets for my return trip around 1st Aug. 

Just now, Isan Farang said:

Can you let me know if i am correct here  - FYI i have never been in CM before

When i arrive at the airport i need to get transport to take me to the green bus station, around how far is this ?

I am in CR at present and i assume i would be able to go to the green bus station office and purchase the required tickets for my return trip around 1st Aug. 

There are two bus stations in Chiang Rai. Number 1 is in the centre of town next to the Night Bazaar. the Number 2 is on the left of the super highway heading south from Chiang Rai Town. There is good signage and traffic lights at the entrance. You can book at either station. Or you can book online. When I arrive in Chiang Mai, I just call a Grab Taxi, very cheap to everywhere. Remember to book in advance of your travel.

Edited by ImageDude

Just now, CorpusChristie said:

When the Green buses are fully booked for the day , they have red cars that do the journey from outside CM bus station and they leave when theres 10 people in the red car for 300 Baht per person .

Horrendous journey though 

Grab Taxi 70 baht to the ThaPae gate. Be aware that currently there are lots of touts at CM Bus Station waiting to rip off the unwary.

Just now, ImageDude said:

Grab Taxi 70 baht to the ThaPae gate. Be aware that currently there are lots of touts at CM Bus Station waiting to rip off the unwary.

Walk to the main road (100m), Songtaw 20bht to the market.

Edited by BritManToo

19 hours ago, ImageDude said:

Your avatar is hilarious!!!!!    is from Nimman rd no doubt!

On 7/4/2020 at 12:39 PM, ImageDude said:

There are two bus stations in Chiang Rai. Number 1 is in the centre of town next to the Night Bazaar. the Number 2 is on the left of the super highway heading south from Chiang Rai Town. There is good signage and traffic lights at the entrance. You can book at either station. Or you can book online. When I arrive in Chiang Mai, I just call a Grab Taxi, very cheap to everywhere. Remember to book in advance of your travel.

Grab is not cheap. It is better to use the big regular buses.

You only need Grab if you have heavy luggages etc.

Edited by EricTh

Just now, EricTh said:

Grab is not cheap. It is better to use the big regular buses.

You only need Grab if you have heavy luggages etc.

I suits me to use grab taxi's and I find them cheap and reliable. I only offer my opinion, others may differ. It is of no consequence to me.

Edited by ImageDude
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 1:39 PM, BritManToo said:

And it is a decent walk, too..and a good alternative on school afternoons, when there is Bangkok style traffic on that road.  Some great food places and street food about half way, passed McCormick Hospital.

On 7/4/2020 at 1:39 PM, BritManToo said:

The main road here means the same road as the immigration?

Which market are you referring to? I doubt Songtaw will bring foreigners to Thapae gate for just 20 baht, more like 50 baht.

8 minutes ago, EricTh said:

The main road here means the same road as the immigration?

Which market are you referring to? I doubt Songtaw will bring foreigners to Thapae gate for just 20 baht, more like 50 baht.

Are you getting CM airport and Arcade bus station mixed up ?

CM immigration is near the airport and very far from the bus station

1 minute ago, CorpusChristie said:

Are you getting CM airport and Arcade bus station mixed up ?

CM immigration is near the airport and very far from the bus station

And it isn't 20 from the airport..it is 10..just walk 700m to airport plaza/main road and jump on a yellow songthaew..frequently will be stopped at the traffic light..

• Like 1

23 hours ago, moontang said:

And it isn't 20 from the airport..it is 10..just walk 700m to airport plaza/main road and jump on a yellow songthaew..frequently will be stopped at the traffic light..

Does the yellow bus pass by Central Festival?

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

Does the yellow bus pass by Central Festival?

No, they mostly terminate at chiangmai gate market...you can get off on either side of the moat.  A few have continued on to Thai Airways..Festival?  Wouldn't the city bus lines take you there from CNX?

And..there are two types of yellow songthaew..the solid yellow without the green writing is the one that covers HD Rd..

Edited by moontang

So many experts on this thread. Just get an air conditioned taxi from Chiang Mai airport to the Arcade bus station, then get an air conditioned Green bus to Chiang Rai. Or vice versa.

Or save a few baht, and sweat it out wondering where you are. Up to you.

• Like 2