Thailand expects $39.5 billion in tourism revenue in 2020

rooster59

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

As for Thais travelling; I don't think they will.

Depends where you are looking
there are many places where domestic tourism booms with little foreigners
Try booking a room in any of the more popular places in Khao Yai or khao kho this weekend......
all the nicer places are fully booked
and usually busy every weekend with people from BKK

Is that $39.5 Billion all from the one super affluent super new type of superior tourist that TAT yearn for in the future?

Edited by DaLa
Missed ? mark.

3 minutes ago, innosiem said:

Depends where you are looking
there are many places where domestic tourism booms with little foreigners
Try booking a room in any of the more popular places in Khao Yai or khao kho this weekend......
all the nicer places are fully booked
and usually busy every weekend with people from BKK

Totally agree. We have a business in Nonthaburi and retain a place down in Cha Am. Over the last few weeks the journey there has become increasingly busier and the beach there  is full of Thai (  not local, it's dead during the week ). Hua Hin is packed and the main highway is bumper to bumper.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Domestic tourism is only recycling money that is aready in Thailand,

Exactly, unless the domestic "tourists" have unlimited funds to spend, from an economic POV it's just taking money away from other sectors!

Seems TOT and the doubtless large staff they employ are getting desperate to justify the huge budget they get!

The only real question is how much of a disaster it will be, being total or unmitigated. Suspect these comments are to try and raise domestic optimism, although perhaps planning for the worst and hoping for the best might be a better path in this case.

Covid is still flaring up all over the place, not unexpected but the media is fanning it, so restrictions will probably last a while yet, although their eugenics vaccine may loosen things up eventually.

Even if I wanted to holiday in Thailand there are no flights, and even if there were we'd be thrown into quarantine on arrival, sounds appealing. Next year may be more possible, but by then the great depression may have kicked it, if so people who can afford holidays will drop off substantially.

Returning to live in Thailand, if crime and xenophobia increase due to a crumbling economy then that appeals even less, more so if the population decides to restart protests. Then of course there is still the death of a thousand cuts dealing with immigration putting you through the infantile hoops. Hmm.

• Like 2

Highly optimistic. There's only so much domestic tourists can travel and spend; they will either get bored or run out of time or money.

I think they've made the mistake to base their estimate on the post-lockdown domestic travel numbers, obviously a spike to make up for lost time. Once the new economic reality sets in, far fewer people will be willing and able to travel around.

If TAT expects 39.5 billion dollars in 2020, I hope they already have $39.49 billion banked already. Domestic tourists is just Peter to pay Paul. Foreign tourists' dollars are monies that are circulated in the economy without one bit of productivity by a local Thai. Domestic tourists are using money earned by having to produce something--unless they're part of the brown envelope crowd.

4 hours ago, alant said:

I thought the current quote was 1,000 per day.

If so with 180 days left then we are going to attract 180,000 overseas visitors.

Are you counting in your head in  English or Thai?  Me thinks it's English!  ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They can make up as many "expected tourist" figures as they like, but the truth is that there will be no international flights going anywhere this year. You will be surprised when you see how many airlines have gone skint and sacked most of their pilots and crew. There will be no A380's flying and I think no 747's either.