Beaches beckon as England to end quarantine for more than 50 countries

rooster59

Beaches beckon as England to end quarantine for more than 50 countries

By William James and Costas Pitas

2020-07-03T151525Z_1_LYNXMPEG62135_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN-TRAVEL.JPG

FILE PHOTO: People sunbathe on Playa de Palma beach in Mallorca, as Spain officially reopens the borders amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, in Palma de Mallorca, Spain June 21, 2020. REUTERS/Enrique Calvo/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain will end coronavirus quarantines for people arriving in England from more than 50 countries, including Germany, France, Spain and Italy - but not the United States - the government said on Friday.

The move, effective July 10, clears the way for millions of British tourists to take summer holidays without worrying about being quarantined when they return. Those arriving from higher risk countries will still have to self-quarantine for 14 days under a rule which has angered airlines and travel companies.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson's government had debated for days how to ease the quarantine rules. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, which set their own health policies within the United Kingdom, have not announced plans to lift the measures.

"Today marks the next step in carefully reopening our great nation," Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said.

As the spread of the novel coronavirus slows in Europe, countries are reopening travel after more than three months of lockdown.

The full list of countries was published here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors

Australia, New Zealand and Japan are included, as are Caribbean tourist destinations such as the Bahamas and Barbados, but popular holiday destination Portugal was not on the list. Nor were the United States, China, India or Russia.

"The U.S. from a very early stage banned flights from the UK and from Europe so there isn't a reciprocal arrangement in place," Shapps said.

Britain's foreign ministry also set out exemptions from a global advisory against "all but essential" international travel, from July 4, a key to normal insurance being valid.

The government said it expected countries included on the quarantine-free list to reciprocate by relaxing their own restrictions.

The move to ditch the quarantine prompted three of Europe's biggest airlines, British Airways, Ryanair and easyJet to end a legal challenge against the government.

Britain, with the highest COVID-19 death toll in Europe, is slowly reopening its economy. England and Northern Ireland will reopen pubs this weekend, and Scotland and Wales are expected to follow later in July.

Johnson has warned people to maintain social distancing rules and is expected to repeat that caution at a news conference on Friday.

"Anyone who flouts social distancing and COVID-secure rules is not only putting us all at risk but letting down those businesses and workers who have done so much to prepare for this new normal," he will say.

(Additional reporting by Kate Holton, William Schomberg and Michael Holden; Writing by Guy Faulconbridge; Editing by Alexander Smith and Peter Graff)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-07-04

No Thailand on the list strangely. They will be chuffed. 

Cheers Boris, that’s another few months added to the delay for those wanting to return. 

Sounds like a game of Tit for TAT

Edited by Kadilo

4 hours ago, Kadilo said:

No Thailand on the list strangely. They will be chuffed. 

Cheers Boris, that’s another few months added to the delay for those wanting to return. 

Sounds like a game of Tit for TAT

Thailand is on the list that I saw, it's the Thai's that will not want the UK in yet a while.  I don't blame them,   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

And who would want/need to go to the UK with their higth rate of infection?

The UK will reach herd immunity faster and get back to "normal" sooner than countries still in lockdown, IMO.

Lockdown countries have no herd immunity and will suffer anyway once indefinite lockdown HAS to be ended due to vanishing economy.

• Like 1

Sweden tried herd immunity and now has an investigation into why it tried the failed method.

UK, sprinting to the lead in stupidity. UK and US will not be permitted to travel anywhere for a long time.

9 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Sweden tried herd immunity and now has an investigation into why it tried the failed method.

UK, sprinting to the lead in stupidity. UK and US will not be permitted to travel anywhere for a long time.

Most of Europe is open, other countries loss if they don't want our £££££.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The UK will reach herd immunity faster and get back to "normal" sooner than countries still in lockdown, IMO.

Lockdown countries have no herd immunity and will suffer anyway once indefinite lockdown HAS to be ended due to vanishing economy.

Exactly! 

Doesn't matter if there are more than 200.000 people might die of Corona. 

And even those after got corona are brain damaged. Who cares about. 

Just same as Bojo. 

Mate, I'm sure you don't know what are you talking! ????

• Sad 1

:offtopic: but nice breakfast and pint of Guinness today in my local Wetherspoon who were Oh, so welcoming!

(Me and the other 6 customers!!!)

Pity I'd still be quarantined if i returned from Thailand......oh...hang on....I can't even go to Thailand! 

And as for the USA...about 2024 perhaps...if I'm desperate to slum it! ????

depositphotos_7613076-stock-photo-pint-of-guinness.jpg.01354a0a01c97fa2f5c8ef40cf4e57de.jpg

Edited by VBF

I am glad that some countries are reopening travel from other countries that

were serious about the virus. The USA, and some of South America do not need

to try re open as they are still losing a lot of their population to the virus. I would not

be surprised to see 1/4 of the US population die from covid19 the way they are still

behaving today. I will not go to the USA for at least 3 to 4 years even if there is a

vaccine.  What a bunch of foolish people who still get in large crowds with no

social distancing or masks and gloves. The ones who get the virus who were not

bering careful and cautious, have no sympathy from me if they get sick and die.

I will feel sorry for their old relatives and parents who may die because of the younger

people go to these gatherings and bring the virus back to them. The same for the 

young children who will get sick and even some of them could die. Shame on all the

thoughtless people who I seen in these big crowds.  No thought on their simple

minds except. Oh Oh  there is our exulted leader, Wow, so happy to be in

the same crowd as he is.  Good Luck America you will certainly need it

in the rest of the year. Good Luck Asia and Thailand and Europe in your reopening

of your tourist economies.

Geezer

I posted in the Covid thread.

Insurance is highly unlikey  to cover you if you have to cancel your booked flight to the sun if you get Covid and can't fly.

They are saying it's not an unforeseen event.

If you return with Covid it's also 'highly unlikely' your insurance will cover you.

For the same reason airlines are highly unlikely to refund your fare if 'you' have to cancel.