Jump to content
BANGKOK
joseph88

Bamboo huts/bungalows

Recommended Posts

hey all.

 

i am in the process of setting up a small style homestay out in mae taeng. nice plot of land at the base of the mountains.

 

i am on a budget so the plan is to set up a few bamboo houses/bungalows and possibly an adobe house (if costs permit) so people can come, stay and enjoy the area.

 

my question is where can i find the good quality bamboo bungalows? is there a builder or a shop around that i have not been able to find?

the only shops i've found are making very low quality bamboo bungalows that can barely fit a bed.

 

i know they are out there because i've seen them at other retreat centers and guest houses.

so any advice on a shop or a builder to work with would be much appreciated.

a picture of what i'm talking about is attached

 

thanks

bamboo bungalow.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Great investment idea .......

no tourists for the foreseeable future, everyone in the tourist business going under.

A sure winner.

 

I'd suggest as cheap as possible, you'll lose less money.

As for bamboo, ask at one of the shops selling the 'chicken domes', they'll probably know someone.

Edited by BritManToo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i live on the land already. there's not that much to invest besides some 2 or 3 bungalows. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

first cyclone comes along ....

 Budget Hut Plan | Myanmar Students Association

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, joseph88 said:

i live on the land already. there's not that much to invest besides some 2 or 3 bungalows. 

 

Buy some tents and sleeping bags.

Build some sinks/showers/toilets.

Camping is getting more popular.

 

How about a photo of the land and views?

Edited by BritManToo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are near Koh Phi Phi and are about as cheap as your going to get.

The cost is in the bathroom / toilet wet area installation. 

Something like this .....

image.png.aeeb6193d4baadeae27e55c5eeef2a60.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, steven100 said:

These are near Koh Phi Phi and are about as cheap as your going to get.

The cost is in the bathroom / toilet wet area installation. 

Something like this .....

image.png.aeeb6193d4baadeae27e55c5eeef2a60.png

yes these are not bad. but where to get them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2020 at 8:21 PM, joseph88 said:

yes these are not bad. but where to get them?

Simply go to some tribal villages. The walls are standard, but the roofs are different. Some are quite intricate, others less so. You do not want a bamboo floor...use wood or cement. Lisu and Hmong are set on the ground , Akha and Lahu are raised up. My first house on the farm was raised and bamboo with teak posts, the floor was simply too bouncy for Farrang weight. However, nice and cool in the hot. We used an Akha style fire pit and was warm and toasty in the winter. No chimney as the smoke helped preserve the roof.  Quite nice. However, 3 years is about the lifespan of a bamboo house, unless you spray it down with chemicals to kill the bamboo eating insects. This was 30 years ago, before the teak house. Transporting and cutting bamboo can be against the law in some locations. I suggest dealing with the Lisu and let them just build it and stand back. They only have one style. Accept it. Concrete/tiled floor first.

   

 

 

You do know that bamboo does not last long

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nature Cafe on soi 4 watumong..is in an interesting bamboo structure..Owners name is Korn..there was an article about it ..2000 per square meter, and it is well made..but more like an A frame style, than a hut.  Their food is excellent and easy on the wallet.  An excellent kao soy..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Teak said:

Simply go to some tribal villages. The walls are standard, but the roofs are different. Some are quite intricate, others less so. You do not want a bamboo floor...use wood or cement. Lisu and Hmong are set on the ground , Akha and Lahu are raised up. My first house on the farm was raised and bamboo with teak posts, the floor was simply too bouncy for Farrang weight. However, nice and cool in the hot. We used an Akha style fire pit and was warm and toasty in the winter. No chimney as the smoke helped preserve the roof.  Quite nice. However, 3 years is about the lifespan of a bamboo house, unless you spray it down with chemicals to kill the bamboo eating insects. This was 30 years ago, before the teak house. Transporting and cutting bamboo can be against the law in some locations. I suggest dealing with the Lisu and let them just build it and stand back. They only have one style. Accept it. Concrete/tiled floor first.

   

 

 

You do know that bamboo does not last long

Reminds me of a friend telling me about going to visit grandma as a hyperactive child..grandma would hose down the dirt floor, to minimize the dust the kids would kick up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...