Pain Medication Before Exercise

Pilotman

5 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

I sympathise, however I think that we must all find the right balance between ageing and keeping fit. I am an avid cyclist who 2 years back used to ride 10000kms a year under the Issan sun. I took me a long time to accept that this worsened my three (interrelated?) prostate conditions. Now I push myself to be more active around the house, make sure I get over 10000 steps a day, do an occasional ride or swim, and feel generally much better physically and mentally as I am more useful and available for my family. 

Also many of us males would err by setting ourselves unnecessary challenges, you know, the 10000k, 15000k or worse thing. Pushing the limits when we are 25 is fun, after 60? Dunno..

I think your right one should adapt a bit when getting older. I certainly changed a bit as for the first time in many years I have had injuries. Never ever before. So now I am just going a bit lighter. However throwing the towel completely in the ring is the other extreme. I still challenge myself otherwise i get bored. 

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IMO some posters have confused painkillers with anti-inflammatories.

Using painkillers to mask pain is a bad idea, because more damage is being done.

I used to use anti-inflammatories for many years, to counter chronic osteoarthritis of the lower spine. I now rely on a combination of Thai massage twice a week, and stretching exercises every morning. I gave up the anti-inflammatories 5 years ago, they caused other complications.

The motto of physiotherapists with arthritis is use it or lose it. I'd suggest the OP would benefit by easing into his gym work with gentle stretching exercises, and a bit of massage afterwards would not be amiss either.

Your advice is wise. The perfect combination of exercise for a 72 year old with arthritic pain would be a combination of walking and swimming, preferably on different days. Walk one day, and then take the pressure off the joints in the pool the following day, 2 or 3 cycles a week. The terrestrial based exercise (walking) is important to keep the skeleton as strong as possible.

Trying to get more fit should not be the goal, but keeping the body as mobile as possible with gentle exercise.

I would suggest the OP get some professional advice (a doctor or exercise physiologist) on the best medication to use, as well as detailed information on possible side effects. My first question would be whether it causes an increased risk of cardiac failure.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IMO some posters have confused painkillers with anti-inflammatories.

Using painkillers to mask pain is a bad idea, because more damage is being done.

I used to use anti-inflammatories for many years, to counter chronic osteoarthritis of the lower spine. I now rely on a combination of Thai massage twice a week, and stretching exercises every morning. I gave up the anti-inflammatories 5 years ago, they caused other complications.

The motto of physiotherapists with arthritis is use it or lose it. I'd suggest the OP would benefit by easing into his gym work with gentle stretching exercises, and a bit of massage afterwards would not be amiss either.

Yes, I suppose there is a pharmacological classification issue here, but I don't need a pharmacist to tell me that an anti-inflammatory medication that eliminates or reduces arthritic pain is not a "pain medication", but I do understand the issue.

I suppose we should call it an anti-inflammatory medication in case someone goes out and buys a box of tylenol, which is very hard on the liver.

2 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Yes, I suppose there is a pharmacological classification issue here, but I don't need a pharmacist to tell me that an anti-inflammatory medication that eliminates or reduces arthritic pain is not a "pain medication", but I do understand the issue.

I suppose we should call it an anti-inflammatory medication in case someone goes out and buys a box of tylenol, which is very hard on the liver.

Regular use of anti-inflammatories is not advised. I will occasionally take one before anything more than a 15 K run, but that's about once a month.

https://runnersconnect.net/ibuprofen-and-running/

However, if I do get an inflammation I prefer to take a diclofenac tab immediately instead of waiting a week or two and then going on a fortnight's treatment of meds.  

Ultracet contains tramadol which is very nasty drug when used for long time. Its an opiate with all the sides of effects specific to opiates, its very addictive and more often than not may lead to digestive tract (affects sphincters responsible for bile and digestive juices release) and neurological disorders which may not be reversible. Talking from personal experience, dont take it.

Edited by TacoKhun

Not a very good idea to take Ultracet before working out. And if you really need to then something is wrong and you may need to reconsider your regimen. POerhaops more frequent, shorter sessions, more stretching/warm up before hand etc.  No one should exercise through pain so bad it requires tramadol or an opiate to tolerate.

It may also dull warning signs and also may adversely affect your balance and coordination.

What you could do, provided no contraindications, is take an NSAID (with food) before work outs.

But mainly, I would suggest more stretches and a re-evaluation of your regimen. As we get older, exercise regimens often need to be adjusted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

I sympathise, however I think that we must all find the right balance between ageing and keeping fit. I am an avid cyclist who 2 years back used to ride 10000kms a year under the Issan sun. I took me a long time to accept that this worsened my three (interrelated?) prostate conditions. Now I push myself to be more active around the house, make sure I get over 10000 steps a day, do an occasional ride or swim, and feel generally much better physically and mentally as I am more useful and available for my family. 

Also many of us males would err by setting ourselves unnecessary challenges, you know, the 10000k, 15000k or worse thing. Pushing the limits when we are 25 is fun, after 60? Dunno..

An excessive amount of exercise will age one prematurely. Have you ever noticed long distance runners looking 10 years older than their actual age. It's a fine line to find the right amount. If you have an addiction, you have a problem.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

I sympathise, however I think that we must all find the right balance between ageing and keeping fit. I am an avid cyclist who 2 years back used to ride 10000kms a year under the Issan sun. I took me a long time to accept that this worsened my three (interrelated?) prostate conditions.

Get yourself a split saddle and the cycling problems gone, well worth the 400bht price.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/prologue-adamo-bike-saddles-seat-cycling-saddle-with-round-rail-ism-seat-parts-i601784057-s1132930560.html

Edited by BritManToo