Alcohol ban in Thailand on Sunday and Monday

rooster59

6 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Confused posters who have no proper calendar and some news thread with misleading info from an official.

I gave up to argue against the "4th/5th" error.

Every proper calendar shows holidays on 5 and 6.

Be prepared for crowds at the liquor stores/departments today.

Avoid it!

"Proper calendars" show the "official" Buddhist holidays as 4th and 5th, with Govt added holidays of 6th and 7th in lieu of the others being a weekend.

So, even though it's evolved this way, making the non alcohol days 5th and 6th is non sensical.

TIT. 

2 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

Oddly enough, yes it is their country.

A little research, if you didn't know already, would have informed you the country is around 95% Buddhist, should not be such a surprise. Just what did you expect?

We expect the Buddha riding shotgun over us or in this case an M16. ????

1 hour ago, fraggleRock said:

Off to mom and pops jungle bar it is, no impact to me ... yet again crushing blow the poor ... and for those who say the Thai folks are not complaing, its because they stocked up.. Biggest drunks of any country I’ve ever visited... Its the economy of Thailand that losses not the wallet of the expat... we care not a greasy coconut picking monkey! 7/11s are not selling...

Yes. 7/11 and Lotus Are selling today.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, steven100 said:

i hardly think it's ' ramming ' their religion down everyone's throat as you put it .....

these Buddha holidays have been going on for a million years so your comment in irrelevant.

A million years?  And, btw they weren't always dry days ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, orchidfan said:

"Proper calendars" show the "official" Buddhist holidays as 4th and 5th, with Govt added holidays of 6th and 7th in lieu of the others being a weekend.

Repeating does not make nonsense better.

For a start you could have a look to the forum calendar:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1138318-thai-holidays-2020/

For the advanced user:

https://www.myhora.com/ปฏิทิน/ปฏิทิน-พ.ศ.2563.aspx

The only just recently "added" day is the 7th (for no obvious/rational reason) which you won't find on printed wall calendars etc.

For "compensation".

Thanks for adding to my list.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

Google is the source of this problem, their result is incorrect, many Thai people use it, hence the confusion.

It's all googles fault.

I never consult Google for such questions.

Thanks for the hint.

Not even Google outplays the Sangha Supreme Council :cheesy:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, natway09 said:

The 27th being the holiday in leiu of Songkran will give the Thais a 4 day holiday ie: 25/28th.

These days are not alcohol free days so bars will be open as normal.

The carnage on the road should get back to normal I would think

Will  be more deaths , on Songkran party day, than deaths from Covid-19 , panic .

Wear your face masks @ time , even in the loo, Krap...

Edited by elliss

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

i hardly think it's ' ramming ' their religion down everyone's throat as you put it .....

these Buddha holidays have been going on for a million years so your comment in irrelevant.

A million years? Two thousand five hundred and sixty three I think!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mike787 said:

NO WAY!  I have a serious dinking problem requiring mass quantity of beer.  This is NOT right. 

Get yourself a Kindle , live a quality life in Thailand ...

• Like 1

Thank Christ for the Mon and Pop stores down a quiet Soi, just bring a cloth bag

to put your purchase in, wink wink.  I had one old lady tell me that she got threatened

by a cop and gave the police guy a key. Told him that the police owned it now but had to pay

for repairs, the utilities and the Mafia. He tossed the key back and walked off.

Gave me a good cuckle.

Geezer

4 hours ago, elliss said:

Get yourself a Kindle , live a quality life in Thailand ...

Or download the kindle app for almost any device you are likely to own.  I know that libraries in Canada and USA offer free loans of thousands of e-books if you are a member.  Check out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-book_lending#:~:text=As%20a%20result%2C%20publishers%20get,is%20deleted%20from%20its%20collection.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Anyone caught ignoring the alcohol ban faces a fine or up to 10,000 baht, 6 months in prison or both. 

what if i have alcohol home, drink, get intoxicated and decide to decide to take a gentle stroll in the street

18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

During the ban, no alcohol can be sold anywhere, including in bars, restaurants and hotels or at supermarkets or convenience stores.

Crazy.. nuff said.

I am sure the Lord Buddha never spoke out against drinking in moderation or on people enjoying themselves especially on His special days. yet the Thai Government seems obsessed with banning alcohol on any days of celebrating the Lord Buddha and His years of happiness to the people. 

• Like 1

This 48 hour closure is an annual event so I don't understand all the reaction. 

I find it a bit irritating myself, but it does not come as a surprise, you just need to get on with it. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, orchidfan said:

Yes. 7/11 and Lotus Are selling today.

I went to buy alcohol yesterday at both 7/11 and Lotus local stores. No problem at Lotus but 7/11 refused. I went to the cashier with 4 cans of beer. There wasn't any notice of a ban on the fridge door. I said Lotus were selling alcohol, and mentioned the Buddha Days were Sunday & Monday. She pointed to a small print notice on the wall behind her. I gave her the cans and walked out.

Confusion reigns, but it's no big issue, just Thailand!