Alcohol ban in Thailand on Sunday and Monday

rooster59

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

it was always forbidden to sell alcohol on Buddha holidays in Thailand.

If you could or did happen to purchase alcohol on a Buddhist holiday, technically you are breaking the law and could be fined, it is most certain that the shop, bar or restaurant that sold it to you would be fined.

so, no apology.  Alcohol sales have always been banned on Buddhist holidays.

There were bars in Bangkok that would open on Buddha Days, election days and other times when there were alcohol bans. Hotels used to serve alcohol with no issues.

My local bar in Bangkok never closed.

Loads of bars would open and serve using coffee mugs. I was caught in one when the Police came in about 2004/5. 500thb later they left and we carried on. This was the norm.

It may have been banned, but enforcement was non-existent, and many places were open.

10 hours ago, elliss said:

Thanks for your imput , much appreciated .

Are you a Kindler ?. 

I do read not as much as I would like. Mainly do fishing instead of bars and working out. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, steven100 said:

I don't apologise as I am correct when i say it has always been forbidden to sell alcohol on Buddhist holidays in Thailand.

Correct. 

And I repeat for your mate, it was enforced in Pattaya over 20 years ago. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

why is this ban so strict in comparison to the other buddhist banned days?

I struggled yesterday even in the rural villages to get hold of anything, was a very unpleasant day

sorry to hear about your problem.  I know some drink mentholated spirits and orange juice if they cannot get alcohol. 

12 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

There were bars in Bangkok that would open on Buddha Days, election days and other times when there were alcohol bans. Hotels used to serve alcohol with no issues.

My local bar in Bangkok never closed.

Loads of bars would open and serve using coffee mugs. I was caught in one when the Police came in about 2004/5. 500thb later they left and we carried on. This was the norm.

It may have been banned, but enforcement was non-existent, and many places were open.

Yes i agree late 90s and early 2000 things may have been banned but any law enforcement was much more lax 

I was in BKK at this time an rarely if ever troubled by such things from memory