Butter alternative for cooking

digital

I've seen baking products I guess a margarine that look like butter in many different brands, its packed in plastic bags.

Any recommendations for a brand that is good for cooking/baking as a butter alternative, can it just be used as a direct replacement for butter when following recipes 1:1, I know the taste won't be quite the same but which one is a good/best alternative?

Thanks.

• Like 1

• Olive oil, you can use olive oil instead of butter when sautéing vegetables and meat. ...
  • Ghee. ...
  • Greek yogurt. ...
  • Avocado. ...
  • Pumpkin purée. ...
  • Mashed bananas. ...
  • Coconut oil. ...
  • Applesauce.
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all replies.

Is the Sam Son Gold you use the one with a palm & coconut oil blend. Do you use in same quantity as you would butter?

I know butter is healthier and more sustainable, I'd seen this margarine and was interested what it was like. I don't expect many bakeries use butter due to the cost.

If we talk about health;  Vegetable oils are very rich in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat, where pure olive oil and sunflower oil are the best, while animal fats such as butter are richer in saturated fat.  For me it is clear;  I always use Oil olive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, digital said:

Is the Sam Son Gold you use the one with a palm & coconut oil blend. Do you use in same quantity as you would butter?

I generally use a bit less ..... maybe 25% less.

Oatmeal cookies with peanuts and ginger and mince pies both work well with SamSon oil.

IMG_20191224_165333.jpg

IMG_20191230_125056 (1).jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

For baking I use Emborg Cook & Bake.  I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference from using butter.  It's 65 baht versus 149 for Emborg butter, so much cheaper.

510x250_245_112485_Cook_And_Bake.jpg

Emborg 65bht for 250g Vs Samson Gold 45bht for 1Kg.

Or to match similar weights ....... 260bht Vs 45bht.

• Like 1

Cheapness shouldn't be the sold criterion.  Sam Son uses artificial butter flavouring, Emborg uses butter oil.  Sam Son also contains hydrogenated oils which aren't particularly good for you.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:
  • Olive oil, you can use olive oil instead of butter when sautéing vegetables and meat. ...
  • Ghee. ...
  • Greek yogurt. ...
  • Avocado. ...
  • Pumpkin purée. ...
  • Mashed bananas. ...
  • Coconut oil. ...
  • Applesauce.

Is there  a reliable general source for  Ghee in Thailand? Have looked but never seen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Is there  a reliable general source for  Ghee in Thailand? Have looked but never seen.

I make my own Ghee it's simple.

Start with the best quality unsalted butter you can buy and melt it in a saucepan. Skim off the white scum that floats to the top (milk fat) and pour the clear liquid into a container keeping the scum on the bottom in the pan. 

On the OP - I use extra virgin olive oil/ghee/butter combinations for most cooking. I have never bought margarine for anything for a very long time. Never would use palm oil either.

Makro do a reasonable quality 5 litres extra virgin olive oil for about 900 Baht. Lasts a long time.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Homefresh makes a quite good butter that sells for about 170 baht per kilo. Not quite sure how they make that price point. Lately it's gotten better since they started to culture it as do the Europeans. They do put in a bit of malto-dextrin. Probably for reasons having to do with texture. They also make a more upscale version called Century House which costs more but much less than comparable European butters. It's also cultured and very good.

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2020 at 10:21 PM, Saltire said:

I make my own Ghee it's simple.

Start with the best quality unsalted butter you can buy and melt it in a saucepan. Skim off the white scum that floats to the top (milk fat) and pour the clear liquid into a container keeping the scum on the bottom in the pan.

After reading about the health benefits of ghee (clarified butter), I started looking for it in the stores.  They're getting stupid money for it, at $10-20 per pound, even in the USA where dairy is heavily subsidized.  So I make my own, too.  Then sometimes dilute it with olive oil, depending on what I'm using it for.

Edited by impulse

For your health; No butter, not animal fat. Vegetal oil; The only one and very best Olive oil. (Extra virgen pure oil).

I cook Thai or “farang” food only with Olive Oil...without doubt and No discussion

Edited by Tarteso

7 hours ago, Tarteso said:

For your health; No butter, not animal fat. Vegetal oil; The only one and very best Olive oil. (Extra virgen pure oil).

I cook Thai or “farang” food only with Olive Oil...without doubt and No discussion

For Thai food, use Rice Bran Oil. It does not overpower the taste of the other ingredients like Olive Oil can.

On 7/4/2020 at 11:11 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Palm oil has a high saturated fat content, which can be harmful to cardiovascular health

Favorite with Thais on account of price. Avoid Thai food especially anything deep fried like patango etc.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Getting decent plus olive oil in Thailand is not trivial. At least not outside of big cities and at a reasonable cost.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trucking said:

Favorite with Thais on account of price. Avoid Thai food especially anything deep fried like patango etc.

I usually get "you poor deluded soul" comments when I say this:

(Assume I'm typing all caps) There is no scientific (meaning unbiased, not financed by Crisco and company) evidence that saturated fats damage your health. There IS in fact evidence to the contrary.