BANGKOK
khunkarl

Thai lottery only for Thai

Was lucky enough to win 8,000 baht on Thai lotto last month. But when I went to my bank to cash the winnings they informed me that only Thai nationals can cash out. "Maybe you can ask our wife?" Sure can and I did but why the discrimination? Anyone?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

it's not discrimination ....  it's so the wife gets some hence some goes back into the economy ....  hahaha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

She's going to want half now !

regards Worgeordie

Well small winning small problem, big winning big problem 😊

• Like 2

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

it's not discrimination ....  it's so the wife gets some hence some goes back into the economy ....  hahaha

That's what I have figured also lol

If I win the UK lottery, I can't cash.

Foreigners can claim lottery winnings here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tonray said:

Nonsense...go to a Lottery Office...the bank is incorrect.

Did so, lottery office charge 3%, Krung Thai Bank less than 1%. No big deal for small amount like this.. And yes could be the bank that is clueless. Some time ago I wanted to apply for a life insurance with my kids as beneficiaries, they claimed that time I needed a WP for that. Turned out to be complete nonsense.. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, tonray said:

Nonsense...go to a Lottery Office...the bank is incorrect.

That's exactly as I have always known it. Frang needs a bank account and winnings are paid into his account.

john

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Next week in Australia Oz lotto 50 million and powerball lotto 80 millions dollars, now this is serious lottery money...

Only problem there is you have to be a resident, if you have retained your residency, i.e. live here and there for less than 183 days a year, your good to go, over the 183 day rule and expect a court battle.

Most countries want you to be a resident when buying a lottery in that country. I know about Australia because it won't allow me to access buying a ticket when I use Google as it takes my location and say nope, but when I use a different browser that shows Australia as my location it allows me to buy, and if I ever did win, I would say squat about where I live, would be on the next flight back to collect, but my first option would be to have my duaghter who lives there collect it as if it's here ticket, while I am on my way, too easy 🙂

Edited by 4MyEgo

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Only problem there is you have to be a resident, if you have retained your residency, i.e. live here and there for less than 183 days a year, your good to go, over the 183 day rule and expect a court battle.

Most countries want you to be a resident when buying a lottery in that country. I know about Australia because it won't allow me to access buying a ticket when I use Google as it takes my location and say nope, but when I use a different browser that shows Australia as my location it allows me to buy, and if I ever did win, I would say squat about where I live, would be on the next flight back to collect, but my forst option woul dbe to have my duaghter who lives there collect it as if it's here ticket, too easy 🙂

Rubbish, my nephew won about 10.000 dollars and he is not Australian citizen or resident

• Thanks 1