Thai lottery only for Thai

khunkarl

Was lucky enough to win 8,000 baht on Thai lotto last month. But when I went to my bank to cash the winnings they informed me that only Thai nationals can cash out. "Maybe you can ask our wife?" Sure can and I did but why the discrimination? Anyone?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, tonray said:

Nonsense...go to a Lottery Office...the bank is incorrect.

Did so, lottery office charge 3%, Krung Thai Bank less than 1%. No big deal for small amount like this.. And yes could be the bank that is clueless. Some time ago I wanted to apply for a life insurance with my kids as beneficiaries, they claimed that time I needed a WP for that. Turned out to be complete nonsense.. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Next week in Australia Oz lotto 50 million and powerball lotto 80 millions dollars, now this is serious lottery money...

Only problem there is you have to be a resident, if you have retained your residency, i.e. live here and there for less than 183 days a year, your good to go, over the 183 day rule and expect a court battle.

Most countries want you to be a resident when buying a lottery in that country. I know about Australia because it won't allow me to access buying a ticket when I use Google as it takes my location and say nope, but when I use a different browser that shows Australia as my location it allows me to buy, and if I ever did win, I would say squat about where I live, would be on the next flight back to collect, but my first option would be to have my duaghter who lives there collect it as if it's here ticket, while I am on my way, too easy ????

Edited by 4MyEgo

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Only problem there is you have to be a resident, if you have retained your residency, i.e. live here and there for less than 183 days a year, your good to go, over the 183 day rule and expect a court battle.

Most countries want you to be a resident when buying a lottery in that country. I know about Australia because it won't allow me to access buying a ticket when I use Google as it takes my location and say nope, but when I use a different browser that shows Australia as my location it allows me to buy, and if I ever did win, I would say squat about where I live, would be on the next flight back to collect, but my forst option woul dbe to have my duaghter who lives there collect it as if it's here ticket, too easy ????

Rubbish, my nephew won about 10.000 dollars and he is not Australian citizen or resident

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

That's exactly as I have always known it. Frang needs a bank account and winnings are paid into his account.

john

As far as I recall, the Thai bank account part applies for higher winnings. Small sums are paid cash (at least in the main lottery office in Bangkok).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Most countries want you to be a resident when buying a lottery in that country. I know about Australia because it won't allow me to access buying a ticket when I use Google as it takes my location and say nope, but when I use a different browser that shows Australia as my location it allows me to buy, and if I ever did win, I would say squat about where I live, would be on the next flight back to collect, but my first option would be to have my duaghter who lives there collect it as if it's here ticket, while I am on my way, too easy ????

Incorrect. You can buy tickets online from any reputable seller and winning prizes are yours.

https://australia.national-lottery.com/information

I cashed out 4000 baht from the local lottery vendor in Pattaya.  No questions asked.  Shouldnt be a problem with 8000 baht. 
If you win the main prize , you need a bank account in Thailand. 

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Krung Thai bank are extremely racist.

I had to fight with them for years just in order to get interest. 3 members of staff told me I couldn't.

In the end it took a letter to an MP to stop their thieving.

Why do you need to fight with them when there are other banks you can go to?

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I had to use that bank for my work. 

Of course, I'd have left them immediately 

Are you an English teacher?

Do you mean 'If not, I would have left them immediately?'

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Simple.....xenophobia! They need to believe they are the master race!

Oh dear, talking of simple..........you think it's because of xenophobia and because they want to be the master race.  And you have a very strong conviction of this and would even post about it with an exclamation mark!  But you are too simple to actually look in to it or even just read some replies otherwise you would have found out that foreigners can indeed collect lottery winnings.

In many other counties (like the UK) you have to be a resident to play, but not Thailand.

I am sure you will be along any minute now to admit your mistake.  Or more likely you are bouncing around in other threads slagging off the Thais based on your own misconceptions and prejudice.

Buzz me if you return.

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Oh dear, talking of simple..........you think it's because of xenophobia and because they want to be the master race.  And you have a very strong conviction of this and would even post about it with an exclamation mark!  But you are too simple to actually look in to it or even just read some replies otherwise you would have found out that foreigners can indeed collect lottery winnings.

In many other counties (like the UK) you have to be a resident to play, but not Thailand.

I am sure you will be along any minute now to admit your mistake.  Or more likely you are bouncing around in other threads slagging off the Thais based on your own misconceptions and prejudice.

Buzz me if you return.

JB........tell someone who cares!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EricTh said:

Are you an English teacher?

Do you mean 'If not, I would have left them immediately?'

Erm, no, I meant what I wrote. 

Have you nothing better to do than be a grammar policeman? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

By resident, I assume you're saying you actually have to be in the UK to play.
You can play whilst visiting, my wife certainly has played as a visitor, won and received her winnings. 

• Thanks 1