Angry Samui Expats?

4 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Do expats walk around with a sticker on their forehead with the words

” I’m an expat “ how can one tell the difference between a tourist and an expat “ asking for a friend “

There are not many tourists here at the moment.

Edited by Peterw42

Theres a few gruff ones get opposite  the 'Downunder Bar' in Lamai often.

Lunatic Germanic types...

I was warned about  a group of Nasty Israelis by the locals last  time I visited.... but Chaweng is so empty I didnt see anyone of any nationality! It could have been a movie  set...

6 hours ago, Dustdevil said:

I "loose" my temper internally when I see online that hardly anyone knows how to spell a simple four-letter word like LOSE. We LOSE our keys; we don't "loose" them. Lose a button on your shirt and your collar is loose.

I'm not posh and proper enough to speak English, I speak Australian and a little Pished  :jap:

On 7/4/2020 at 4:01 PM, BigC said:

Yes Samui very localized place problem is allot of expats here think they run the place because they can be flash with cash.

Don't worry about them not all are like this but I really cannot be bothered  with expats anymore

Also localized island everyone knows everyone's business

Then there are people that need money and start to look for friends  based on what they  can get out  of them

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nemises said:

We’ve come to paradise for pussy! 

Who gives a tinkers about old, miserable, unfriendly expats. 

BEST dam post I have read!!!  Agreed!!  Get over you crying babies...like they have never been disappointed. They leave their entitled country for a country they are barely a qualifiable guest with same expectations = FAILURE!  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nemises said:

Who gives a tinkers about old, miserable, unfriendly expats. 

Stay clear from anyone you hear muttering "thirtyseven, I only got thirtyseven"

8 hours ago, BigC said:

Also localized island everyone knows everyone's business

Then there are people that need money and start to look for friends  based on what they  can get out  of them

oh how true that is.

I learnt most of the people who were overly friendly in Samui either wanted me to eat or drink in their business or subsidise their drinking or even just survival as you couldn't call what they were doing much more than that 

• Like 1

While I don’t the scientific basis for what you experienced I offer the following observations:

1. Let’s take beautiful women as an example- one day you can go out and don’t see a single pretty girl/ woman. Maybe you go out to the same place 2 or 3 days later and the store, the beach, the area is flooded with beautiful women. Go figure. That is the first phenomenon.

2. The second is things run in 2 and 3s- meaning if you get a traffic ticket after years of not getting any chances are you’ll get a second soon after the first. Anyway that is how things have worked for me and it may explain what you experienced.

On 7/5/2020 at 6:19 PM, sampson said:

oh how true that is.

I learnt most of the people who were overly friendly in Samui either wanted me to eat or drink in their business or subsidise their drinking or even just survival as you couldn't call what they were doing much more than that 

I've encountered that many times in Malaysia.

17 hours ago, Onrai said:

While I don’t the scientific basis for what you experienced I offer the following observations:

1. Let’s take beautiful women as an example- one day you can go out and don’t see a single pretty girl/ woman. Maybe you go out to the same place 2 or 3 days later and the store, the beach, the area is flooded with beautiful women. Go figure. That is the first phenomenon.

2. The second is things run in 2 and 3s- meaning if you get a traffic ticket after years of not getting any chances are you’ll get a second soon after the first. Anyway that is how things have worked for me and it may explain what you experienced.

One time about six years ago I was on a flight from Abu Dhabi to BKK. I think it was an Etihad flight, but could have been some other airline. Usually one hopes to see a lot of lovely Thai women on board. There was exactly ONE. All but two or three of the remaining passengers were a large contingent of Arab athletes. Three weightlifters sat directly behind me. They were the noisiest of the lot. Luckily there was plenty of room further back in coach, where I fled without delay. The girl and the other "regular" passenger did the same. 

Edited by Dustdevil

Anecdotal evidence only. But after visiting Koh Samui several times, I noticed that I had seen more physical violence and alcohol fuelled altercations there more than anywhere else. Noticeable because in 15 odd years, I have barely noticed that kind of behaviour amongst foreigners anywhere else in Thailand.

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Seems like some of the posters might mingle with another group of expats on Samui than I do...:whistling:

I agree KhunPer.

I have been an expat here for twenty years and have never come across cocaine.

Also - never seen 'physical violence and alcohol fuelled altercations'.

I think that some posters only know Chaweng and not Koh Samui.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 3:10 PM, Tropicalevo said:

I agree KhunPer.

I have been an expat here for twenty years and have never come across cocaine.

Also - never seen 'physical violence and alcohol fuelled altercations'.

I think that some posters only know Chaweng and not Koh Samui.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1051566-nigerian-man-arrested-as-samui-police-battle-influx-of-cocaine-dealers/

I'm not having a dig at you Tropical...but I've been here 20 years as well, and up until fairly recently there has been regular drugs busts

As for 'physical violence and alcohol fuelled altercations'...Solo in Chaweng was pretty much guaranteed to fulfil that need every night...but it wasn't uncommon in Lamai either.

I used to live up near you in the pointy end, and even in Fisherman's Village there was always something on the go...we moved to the south of the island and everything is peace and tranquillity down here...but don't tell anyone ????

On 7/6/2020 at 7:19 AM, sampson said:

oh how true that is.

I have met some decent expat through the school as we all have our kids in common

Also some Thai parents also

• Like 1

Thankfully I must be one of the luckiest expats living on Samui for 19 years now.

I have met lots of expats from various countries over those years, many of whom I am happy to say have become my good friends and not one of them has turned out to be what the OP calls 'angry'.

Yes of course the strength of the baht is challenging for those in retirement and currently life is difficult for those who own businesses here, nevertheless as friends I find their attitudes, like mine, to be totally positive about living on Samui and have never suggested they have a wish to either 'go home' or move to another country.

I am aware of the seedier side of expat life here and would know which bars to go to should I ever feel the need for illegal stimulants, but having avoided them so far, I doubt I shall need them in the future.

I too have never seen or been involved in "physical violence and alcohol fuelled altercations"  either but don't deny these things happen in some venues of which we are all too well aware. Clue - stay away from them. Samui is not unique in this however.

• Thanks 2