Hummus - Making at home

Speedo1968

On 7/5/2020 at 10:21 AM, Speedo1968 said:

The nearest I have to a blender is a spoon and fork. 
A friend tried once using a blender never did get it clean.

I use a stick blender so everything stays in the bowl and it’s really easy to clean. They’re also quite cheap to buy here

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

@BillStrangeOgre, I was looking for bottled lemon juice last week at Tops, because I didn't think Big C would have it (my usual shopping place). I bought 3 large lemons for about 150 baht (don't remember exact cost). The maid said expensive. I thought it was cheap, but I'd rather have had the juice in a bottle.

What section in the store? Thanks

I found it in Big C supermarket opposite Central World on Ratchadamri Rd. It's easily recognisable in small yellow, lemon shaped plastic bottles not sure which isle it's in though.

Edited by BillStrangeOgre

9 hours ago, nightbird said:

1/4 cup tahini-Buy at Villa, cheaper than soi Arab.

I looked in Villa, Tesco, Topps, Siam Paragon, Big C and Central Chidlom. Where i found it all were more expensive than the Arab Supermarket on Soi 3.

In villa it's 150thb/150g-Arab Supermarket 350thb/500g

19 hours ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

I looked in Villa, Tesco, Topps, Siam Paragon, Big C and Central Chidlom. Where i found it all were more expensive than the Arab Supermarket on Soi 3.

In villa it's 150thb/150g-Arab Supermarket 350thb/500g

I paid less than 300thb for 500g. I buy it there regularly, for years!

Edited by nightbird

On 7/4/2020 at 6:24 PM, BillStrangeOgre said:

This is a timely post. I have been making Hummus while on lockdown in Bangkok. Let's start with the ingredients:

You can use tinned chickpeas, saves all the soaking and boiling. Most of the large supermarkets sell them. Just make sure you drain them and rinse well.

I have no idea why anyone would make their own tahini. It's available around town in certain supermarkets but the cheapest place to buy it is in the Arabic Supermarket behind the Zenith hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 3. 500g for around 350thb That's quite a lot but if you make it regularly will save you money and trips to the supermarket. Keeps for ages in the fridge anyway. 

I have never heard of chickpea flour in hummus

If you prefer traditional lemon juice in your hummus to lime juice, you can buy lemon juice in a bottle in Big C for 35thb. Fresh lemons are expensive in Thailand, if you can find them

Cumin is available in most supermarkets. I use fresh yoghurt in mine as well. I buy the natural Greek yoghurt available in most large supermarkets

Everything else for hummus is easily available

Awesome! Your recipe, please!

On 7/12/2020 at 3:03 PM, unblocktheplanet said:

Awesome! Your recipe, please!

I don't actually use a recipe. I worked with middle eastern chefs for many years and like them, now, i do it by sight.

If using fresh chickpeas soak over night in plenty of water.

If using tinned, either way, drain and rinse

Simmer in plenty of salted water with a large pinch of bicarbonate of soda (optional, helps to make the peas softer) until the peas are tender 

Drain and allow to cool to room temp. and place in a food processor with garlic, salt, thick natural yoghurt, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil and cumin powder. Blend until smooth. 

Don't worry if it looks a little too thin, it will firm up in the fridge.

To mix it up a little, leave out the cumin powder and add roasted red peppers (tinned) and smoked paprika or again leave out the cumin and simply stir in Pesto (jar)

Edited by BillStrangeOgre

• 2 weeks later...