A centipede of some kind

Can anyone identify the critters that just a few days ago have come out by the hundreds.  They're coming from my neighbor's property which is deserted at this time.  I noticed a mass of them on the garden wall, and went to investigate--actually, spray with วาลิท 35 which is cypermethrin, and found them climbing up the sides of some out buildings next door.  The spray slows them down, but I don't know if it really does them in.  Day after day more appear.

What are they?  (Other than across the wall) Where do they come from?  What do they eat?  And what do they become in later stages of their lives?  Oh, and is there a more suitable chemical that will eliminate them?  I suspect that if they're not killed off, they will only multiply.  A few have even managed to find their way into my kitchen which is enclosed and well screened. 

Thanks for your help on this.

1centipede 003.jpg

1centipede 004.jpg

Two pairs of legs per section normally indicates that it's a millipede, possibly this Shocking Pink millipede (Desmoxytes purpurosea) or another species from the same family.

Shocking pink dragon millipede (Desmoxytes purpuro 31865430

• Like 2

i dont think this is "Shocking Pink" since it is not pink. probably harmless. Can ask on 9gag.com , something like "A new human killer millipede species was discovered in thailand" and soon there will be 100s of experts to prove you are wrong ???? with facts

Edited by TacoKhun
  • Like 1

I had a look around and i found different pics of the Shocking Pink millipede (Desmoxytes purpurosea) , ranging from bright red over to near brown yellow . It is a harmless plant eater ( rotting plants , leaves on floor ... ) . I would say , make the land clean , trim it short , leave no leaves on the soil to decay . Would be enough to keep their population under control . They are harmless but can't be eaten as they are poisonous to digest .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, sezze said:

I had a look around and i found different pics of the Shocking Pink millipede (Desmoxytes purpurosea) , ranging from bright red over to near brown yellow . It is a harmless plant eater ( rotting plants , leaves on floor ... ) . I would say , make the land clean , trim it short , leave no leaves on the soil to decay . Would be enough to keep their population under control . They are harmless but can't be eaten as they are poisonous to digest .

yeah!  - Hydrogen Cyanide secretions even if you just touch them! 

- lucky they are not venomous as well 

1 hour ago, anterian said:

get a couple of chickens convert the millipedes into eggs.

Guineas (gai-tok) are actually better but they are random layers and can be a "little" noisy.

We have guineas, chooks and geese, woe betide any creepy-crawly that dares to show its face ????

We had two chooks fighting over one of the big centipedes when "Bruiser" out big white roo bit it in half.