Mexican peppers in Thailand

I'm looking for friends, guidance, experience from anybody growing their own Mexican peppers in Thailand.  I would be keen to hear your experiences, and befriend your guidance a bit, some compensation is certainly also on offer.  

Looking at growing jalapenos, habaneros, reapers, etc, just about anything I can grow.  Based in Pattaya, but can travel.  

Thank you, 

Gil 

9 minutes ago, northsouthdevide said:

If you grow jalapeños in Thailand, I think youll have a que around the corner to buy them. 

My wife looks for them in makro every time we go, but they're only available on the odd occasion. 

The Kings Project in Chiang Mai grow Jalapenos ,if you go

to their premises you can buy a big bag cheap,in Supermarkets

the sell 200 gram for 24 Baht, don't find them hot or have much

taste really.They also sometimes have them from Australia,at insane

prices, look no different from local grown ones.

regards Worgeordie

20 hours ago, ELL said:

Hello, I grow in Chiang Mai Just my experience after several years experience. Not easy, but possible. Last solution - grow in green house ( protect against rain and bugs, white fly etc.. ) and not use soil . Hydroponic or mix of coco coir, rice husk or hydroponic media and little soil. Seeds i ordered from rareseeds in US. Come fast, no tax.. Same year - 90% germination, next year not.. may be need to keep seed in refrigerator. Good luck !

after 3 months.jpg

IMG_6156s.jpg

P_20181219_155409s.jpg

P_20181106_071336s.jpg

IMG_6154s.jpg

Does rareseeds ship to Thailand? 

4 minutes ago, ELL said:

yes, NO PROBLEM. Didi it many times.

Thank you. Although I'm really satisfied with my current seed supplier, plant-world-seeds.com, I'd like to try other places for other seeds. 

Thanks again! 

On 7/4/2020 at 7:42 PM, ELL said:

Hello, I grow in Chiang Mai Just my experience after several years experience. Not easy, but possible. Last solution - grow in green house ( protect against rain and bugs, white fly etc.. ) and not use soil . Hydroponic or mix of coco coir, rice husk or hydroponic media and little soil. Seeds i ordered from rareseeds in US. Come fast, no tax.. Same year - 90% germination, next year not.. may be need to keep seed in refrigerator. Good luck !

after 3 months.jpg

IMG_6156s.jpg

P_20181219_155409s.jpg

P_20181106_071336s.jpg

IMG_6154s.jpg

Wow, looks like a great (and complicated) operation, is it worthwhile do you think on a commercial basis?  We have a Mexican restaurant here, and its so hard to find Mexican peppers....

Do you think the cooler temps in ChiangMai are helping, or could it be done say in Chonburi?  

Thanks again!  Will be in touch with questions if Ok?  

15 hours ago, Ex Pool Doctor said:

Wow, looks like a great (and complicated) operation, is it worthwhile do you think on a commercial basis?  We have a Mexican restaurant here, and its so hard to find Mexican peppers....

Do you think the cooler temps in ChiangMai are helping, or could it be done say in Chonburi?  

Thanks again!  Will be in touch with questions if Ok?  

In Chiang Mai we have Doi Kham Royal project, what grow jalapeno commercially . Can buy in bulk enough for restaurant for affordable price. I see no reason to  grow commercial as except jalapeno pepper . other pepper rarely use here for Mexican cooking , except some dry peppers  for spices, what can be ordered from US. Climate in Thailand not suitable for most tomatoes, peppers what growing good in US and Mexico, also a lot of soil born decease and insects..  High risk operation and low demand.. Feel free to contact me for any questions. Can share my experience with soil and deceases.

On 7/5/2020 at 10:42 AM, worgeordie said:

The Kings Project in Chiang Mai grow Jalapenos ,if you go

to their premises you can buy a big bag cheap,in Supermarkets

the sell 200 gram for 24 Baht, don't find them hot or have much

taste really.They also sometimes have them from Australia,at insane

prices, look no different from local grown ones.

regards Worgeordie

Thanks, I spoke to the King's Project, they don't have product now (only in Aug).  Are they still in supermarkets, and is the price much different?  Can they be ordered online for shipment domestically?  

6 hours ago, ELL said:

In Chiang Mai we have Doi Kham Royal project, what grow jalapeno commercially . Can buy in bulk enough for restaurant for affordable price. I see no reason to  grow commercial as except jalapeno pepper . other pepper rarely use here for Mexican cooking , except some dry peppers  for spices, what can be ordered from US. Climate in Thailand not suitable for most tomatoes, peppers what growing good in US and Mexico, also a lot of soil born decease and insects..  High risk operation and low demand.. Feel free to contact me for any questions. Can share my experience with soil and deceases.

Thank you, I spoke with Doi Kham, they only have product (jalapenos) coming in August (taking pre-orders).  With the number of Mexican restaurants here in Thailand now, surely there is some good demand?  You might be right though, spices can also be imported (but not sure how easily or if expensive).  

If I came up to Chiang Mai, might I see your operation for a couple of hours?  I am happy to pay a small fee!  ???? 

Thank you, 

Gil 

10 minutes ago, Ex Pool Doctor said:

Thanks, I spoke to the King's Project, they don't have product now (only in Aug).  Are they still in supermarkets, and is the price much different?  Can they be ordered online for shipment domestically?  

I bought a packet in local supermarket last week, 24 Bhat ,200 Gram,

they have been available for few weeks,don't know why they should

say Only in August.

regards worgeordie

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I bought a packet in local supermarket last week, 24 Bhat ,200 Gram,

they have been available for few weeks,don't know why they should

say Only in August.

regards worgeordie

Thanks, maybe she understood only commercial quantities.  I am trying to find an online link somewhere to order....100kg or something like that.  

2 minutes ago, Ex Pool Doctor said:

Thanks, maybe she understood only commercial quantities.  I am trying to find an online link somewhere to order....100kg or something like that.  

Next time I go to their headquarters where they bring the vegetables

in to sell, if I see quantities of Jalapenos I will send you a PM.

One time when I went last year,cannot remember when they had a lot,

Kilo bags,they were 50 Baht if I remember correctly.

regards worgeordie

7 minutes ago, Ex Pool Doctor said:

Did you buy from a regular supermarket or a branch of the Royal Project shops?  

8 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

Thank you!  Is that the locaion on Suthep road?  

1 minute ago, Ex Pool Doctor said:

Thank you!  Is that the locaion on Suthep road?  

Yes ,there's the one on Suthep road,and the one further along the road,

called The Royal Project Foundation, this one is cheaper and has a lot

more produce,bags of bigger quantities.

regards Worgeordie

32 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

Thank you!  I will go to the BKK HQ tomorrow to inquire also.  Thanks again.  

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Yes ,there's the one on Suthep road,and the one further along the road,

called The Royal Project Foundation, this one is cheaper and has a lot

more produce,bags of bigger quantities.

regards Worgeordie

Thank you very much!  

On 7/7/2020 at 2:29 PM, Ex Pool Doctor said:

Thank you, I spoke with Doi Kham, they only have product (jalapenos) coming in August (taking pre-orders).  With the number of Mexican restaurants here in Thailand now, surely there is some good demand?  You might be right though, spices can also be imported (but not sure how easily or if expensive).  

If I came up to Chiang Mai, might I see your operation for a couple of hours?  I am happy to pay a small fee!  ???? 

Thank you, 

Gil 

Still can buy jalapeno in Chiang Mai today, for instance in Mae Hia market ( they sell jalapeno from Doi kham ). Also if you buy in bulk can keep 2-3 months in refrigerator ( in plastic box with paper ) , also frozen.. They available here year around  with 2-3 months stop, so you can make stock when harvest. I am switch now to grow tomatoes , boring of local tasteless tomatoes. Same big problem to grow in this climate. Can update results in 3 months.  For personal use you can buy dry chili from US at very good price even with shipping, the only problem is local customs.. You need local FDA approval to import large quantity, not for personal use. 10 years ago if was no problem, now very strict..

On 7/9/2020 at 8:28 AM, ELL said:

Still can buy jalapeno in Chiang Mai today, for instance in Mae Hia market ( they sell jalapeno from Doi kham ). Also if you buy in bulk can keep 2-3 months in refrigerator ( in plastic box with paper ) , also frozen.. They available here year around  with 2-3 months stop, so you can make stock when harvest. I am switch now to grow tomatoes , boring of local tasteless tomatoes. Same big problem to grow in this climate. Can update results in 3 months.  For personal use you can buy dry chili from US at very good price even with shipping, the only problem is local customs.. You need local FDA approval to import large quantity, not for personal use. 10 years ago if was no problem, now very strict..

Ok, I did some research on this.  Doi Kham Co., Ltd. is the commercial arm of the Royal Project Foundation, and Doi Kham has retail shops around the country.  They now have a wide range of products (juices, etc) and apparently have started to turn a profit.  Some stores will carry fresh jalapenos from time to time, but its not a stable supply for a restaurant.  In BKK, the Royal Project Foundation has a packing and distribution plant on the outskirts of Kasetsart University, Ngam Wong Wan rd.  I drove out there yesterday, not easy (but not too hard) to find.  ศูนย์ผลิตผลโครงการหลวง  

I spoke to the people at the distribution plant, and they gave me a ChiangMai number for commercial sales.  They (BKK) said that I can order commercial quantities from them, and have it shipped to them (BKK) for personal collection and only pay a small transport fee.  I want to try to buy 100kg or so to start, maybe more.  Let's see.  If I learn more, I will update it here.  

On 7/7/2020 at 2:24 PM, Ex Pool Doctor said:

actually, they had a huge amount in march and they were selling them for a very low price at their outlet. And a couple of weeks ago I bought some at one of the royal project stores. I think it was 20 baht for 250 grams. Tasted just like jalapenos. I pickled them.

• Like 1

I'm growing Guarillo, New Mexico, Ancho-Poblano, and two different Jalapeno's.
I'm growing outdoors, raised garden, organic soil, 60% shade cloth and plastic cover.... 3 x 4 meters.
I love Mexican food, but also Texas style chili....and all the peppers here seemed pretty hot for that.

I have a few extra Guarillo and New Mexico starts if anyone is wants to try them here in Chiang Mai.

Garden Planted.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2020 at 2:14 PM, SteveSarich said:

I'm growing Guarillo, New Mexico, Ancho-Poblano, and two different Jalapeno's.
I'm growing outdoors, raised garden, organic soil, 60% shade cloth and plastic cover.... 3 x 4 meters.
I love Mexican food, but also Texas style chili....and all the peppers here seemed pretty hot for that.

I have a few extra Guarillo and New Mexico starts if anyone is wants to try them here in Chiang Mai.

Garden Planted.jpg

Wow that looks great!  What soil medium are you using?  How was the result?  

On 7/9/2020 at 8:28 AM, ELL said:

Still can buy jalapeno in Chiang Mai today, for instance in Mae Hia market ( they sell jalapeno from Doi kham ). Also if you buy in bulk can keep 2-3 months in refrigerator ( in plastic box with paper ) , also frozen.. They available here year around  with 2-3 months stop, so you can make stock when harvest. I am switch now to grow tomatoes , boring of local tasteless tomatoes.

I have seen fresh jalapenos for sale in Villa Market shops, but not sure if they have them in your part of the world, as was thinking that you could buy some and use the seeds perhaps?? (I am chili fan but tend to be a little careful of the small "Birds Eye" chilies as they can be a bit vicious!).

Agree with you about tomatoes being tasteless here, also having a tough skin, and a few years ago I tried to grow my own here, but white fly infestation and a very small area in which to try and grow them proved it unmanageable.

I also found that the soil I bought looked to have come from some sort of sludge pond and although one would have thought it was full of nutrients, the tomatoes did not thrive on it at all.

Best of luck to the OP with his endeavours, good to see.