Thai driving: Motorcyclist doing a wheelie comes a cropper

rooster59

9 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Perhaps the motorcyclist will claim he was just being thrifty by trying to reduce the wear on his front tyre.

Or maybe he knew his front brake didn't work and was being cautious? 

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

One would hope the driver has insurance, just for incidents like this, unlicensed unregistered riders ?

Where in the article does it mention the scoot rider was unlicenced and unregistered ?

I had a motorbike run into me that was going the wrong way ,slight damage to my vehicle but the kid and woman on the back hurt ,the rider at least a broken wrist ,the police made him give me 5000 baht for damage but I gave it the woman for to hopefully get her and kid looked after , the police were very professional and knew what had happened. They are not all useless and one sided 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Foghorn said:

I had a motorbike run into me that was going the wrong way ,slight damage to my vehicle but the kid and woman on the back hurt ,the rider at least a broken wrist ,the police made him give me 5000 baht for damage but I gave it the woman for to hopefully get her and kid looked after , the police were very professional and knew what had happened. They are not all useless and one sided 

I had a similar incident years ago when a motorcycle taxi drove into the front of my pick-up.

His passenger ran off, the motorcyclist told me in English, "You no good man."

Interestingly he'd just picked up his passenger from a taxi rank less than 50 metres away. One of his motorcycle taxi driver friends came running up to see if he was OK, asking him in Thai if he'd sobered up yet?

The the police arrived PDQ and instantly saw from the angle of the vehicles the taxi driver was at fault and blamed him immediately.

The policeman told us both to go to the local police station straight away and sort it out. I phoned my insurance company who sent someone immediately.

At the police station the officer there also blamed the motorcycle taxi driver.

My insurance guy pressed the police to impound his motorbike until he had paid back the insurance company for the repairs they needed to carry out to my pick-up. (Fairly minor, 3,000-odd Baht).

The taxi driver was fined 400 Baht. He had to call a friend to bring him some cash, in order to pay the fine and get out out the police station.

I never even had to mention the taxi driver had been drinking, according what his friend had said.

3 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

The rider was unlicenced on an unregistered bike?  I missed that part.

Looking at the guy on the bike in the video, I would say he is under aged which means he is unlicensed, and how many people in Thailand insure their bikes, besides, If my assumption is correct and he is under aged and unliicensed no doubt, and if the bike was insured, they wouldn't pay up because he is unlicensed.

Edited by 4MyEgo

In the video, I could see this coming at least 100 metres before the incident and yet the car driver does nothing to slow down or apply any defensive driving whatsoever.

Give them both a ticket.

18 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:
21 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

The rider was unlicenced on an unregistered bike?  I missed that part.

Looking at the guy on the bike in the video, I would say he is under aged...

There is nothing in that video that suggests that the rider is below the legal age.   Your assumption that he is makes no sense.

Edited by Bob A Kneale

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

My wife drove for the very first time on Monday......supposed to take her test on Tuesday, but it started to rain....so they just passed her..............she is not driving me anywhere.

Round the bend?

• Haha 1